JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you carry in your vehicle at work when it is prohibited by your employer?

• Yes, I would carry.

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No, I would not carry.

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hardly ever carry unless I'm out walking my dog and only then because I might need to shoot someone elses dog. I dont frequent sketchy places very often and I dont engage in a risky lifestyle. My neighborhood is doctors, lawyers, and mormons. I'm 6'4' and 225 lbs and Ive been told I put out a serious cop vibe. Probably military training or just my personality. I dont know. NO ONE F's with me. In any case I always "carry" a gun in my car and I usually leave it there unless theres some special reason I NEED to carry it on me. Biggest reason I keep one in the car and in reach is because I work on and drive on the Yakama Reservation every day. I wont go into the long list of times Ive had people try to side swipe me while driving or run me off the road and getting gas on the res is an exercise in situational awareness. Ive had to pull my gun out of its home under the seat a few times and let it ride home on the trucks console while i watched the rear view mirror to make sure the guy behind me wasnt sticking a gun out the window. I open carry for critters when I'm out in the desert or woods and occasionally on my way home but the rest of the time not so much. I work in an office at work out in the middle of nowhere where no one goes. Carrying at work would be stupid.

Yakima....giving Chicago a run for its money in the per capita murder rate

I'm also 6'4",230 pounds-I definitely don't put out a cop vibe though..!!..
And I don't necessarily trust doctors ,lawyers ,or Mormons "Just because" (A lot of my family is Mormon,and coincidentally,one of my Mormon cousins is a Doctor..well,chiropractor anyway :p)
Other than my dear Grandpa, I wouldn't trust a single one of em any more than anyone else.
As a kid,my dad ran with some Yakima "reservation residents"
I remember going there a lot when I was young-one of his friends was stabbed and killed over a fishing spot right in front of us. I guess I either looked away or blocked it out,because I have no memory of the actual incident.
My long winded point is,nobody ever knows when something is going to happen.
I personally choose to be as prepared and comfortable as I can.
Everyone has a different comfort zone,and I guess I'm the odd man out on this one!

One thing I've learned in life, is that humans are too human. Ninety percent of people always think that bad things happen to other people and not to them because they're in a safe place, whether it's in their neighborhood or wherever their at, or that they can handle themselves because they're big and strong. That's the fallacy people make, it can't happen to them and it's a safe place. I've learned that, that's not true, that's why I always pack. Something happens and people always say, "I never thought this would happen to me."
I carry a gun, knife, phone, extra magazine and flashlight. You can't even tell I'm carrying "stuff."
Am I paranoid or what am I scared of? The answer to that is, "Not a damn thing!" :)
None of us can see the future or can we tell the future. Therefore, it always pays to be well prepared. But then again, that's just me.
Sifu

Statistically, yes, bad things do happen to other people more often than to you or me - i.e., not everybody is a victim of violent crime, and especially not all of the time, and the odds of it happening don't necessarily mandate carrying a firearm.

And again, statistically yes, you are more likely to have a bad thing happen to you if you frequent risky areas - e.g., a lot more crime happens in Chicago or Hillsboro for that matter, than up here in the Chehalem mountains. It is part of the reason I finally moved out of the city (the other reasons were I always wanted to, I could finally afford it, and my sanity).

New job specifically says it forbids firearms on company property, and as I understand it - in my vehicle still counts as on company property. The company maintains a private parking lot, I happen to be about 10 feet from the door that is near my car, my car is directly outside that door.

Do you carry in your vehicle even though it's prohibited - or do you opt not to carry?

I would treat it any other "Posted Gun Free" sign and ignore it. I suspect it some insurance issue, that said I've carried most everyday. We get the homeless that barge in and won't leave the bathroom from time to time. For now they've left with threat of the police being called.

Statistically, yes, bad things do happen to other people more often than to you or me - i.e., not everybody is a victim of violent crime, and especially not all of the time, and the odds of it happening don't necessarily mandate carrying a firearm.

And again, statistically yes, you are more likely to have a bad thing happen to you if you frequent risky areas - e.g., a lot more crime happens in Chicago or Hillsboro for that matter, than up here in the Chehalem mountains. It is part of the reason I finally moved out of the city (the other reasons were I always wanted to, I could finally afford it, and my sanity).
Yes, your safer in the mountains, yet I would still carry a gun, like I would a wristwatch. Again, that's just me. We all have to decide what we what to do. I feel safer carrying a small gun in my pocket. Maybe because I'm a prepper that I do such things. At any rate if the "impossible "happens, then I have a gun in my pocket, that's all.
Sifu

I would do what my employment contract said I should do.

I worked for a company called Sequent that had no policy on guns, so I carried at work (not just leaving the gun in the car, which seems risky to me anyway). A few years later IBM bought Sequent, and I continued carrying even though it was against IBM policy since I had not signed on to anything differently (that I recall - I may be wrong about this). I realized I could be fired if they caught me but was not very concerned about that happening, and it never did.

If you don't like the terms of your employment, look for a job elsewhere, or put up with the imposition. I don't see how you have any justifiable choice otherwise, because you have agreed to do those things by signing on the dotted line. I think in interviews, a prospective employee SHOULD get a look at the employment contract long before signing, just so he knows what is expected of him.

Just to throw some confusion into the picture, I still would consider carrying even if I knew I had no justifiable excuse to do so. Government sometimes makes it difficult to do the right thing. In early America, when there was much less of it, employers did not feel the need to eliminate the ability of employees to defend their lives.

Last Edited:
I would do what my employment contract said I should do.

I worked for a company called Sequent that had no policy on guns, so I carried at work (not just leaving the gun in the car, which seems risky to me anyway). A few years later IBM bought Sequent, and I continued carrying even though it was against IBM policy since I had not signed on to anything differently (that I recall - I may be wrong about this). I realized I could be fired if they caught me but was not very concerned about that happening, and it never did.

If you don't like the terms of your employment, look for a job elsewhere, or put up with the imposition. I don't see how you have any justifiable choice otherwise, because you have agreed to do those things by signing on the dotted line. I think in interviews, a prospective employee SHOULD get a look at the employment contract long before signing, just so he knows what is expected of him.

Just to throw some confusion into the picture, I still would consider carrying even if I knew I had no justifiable excuse to do so. Government sometimes makes it difficult to do the right thing. In early America, when there was much less of it, employers did not feel the need to eliminate the ability of employees to defend their lives.
Well said. In early America we could defend ourselves, now, they want us to be sheep in the pasture and "they" (governments) want to be the only ones with guns. I believe Australia took all the guns away from people. You know all the criminals have muscle, gangs, guns and knives, I wonder, what do the disarmed people have??

Sifu

Australia

Yes, your safer in the mountains, yet I would still carry a gun, like I would a wristwatch. Again, that's just me. We all have to decide what we what to do. I feel safer carrying a small gun in my pocket. Maybe because I'm a prepper that I do such things. At any rate if the "impossible "happens, then I have a gun in my pocket, that's all.
Sifu

I don't have a wristwatch. I haven't had one since college (30 years ago). Almost anywhere I go there is a clock of some sort. Clocks in my vehicles. Clocks at work. Clocks in my computer and phone. I had a watch in college because they didn't have cell phones back then and I had to get to class at a certain time. But since, I have my computer or phone to remind me when there is a meeting. But when I retire, I just won't need a clock/watch much anymore.

In the same respect, most of the time I don't need a gun. Now I like guns - of course - but usually I don't need one. There are bears, cougars, coyotes and feral dogs up here, but generally they don't like or bother humans (except for the feral dogs).

I don't have a wristwatch. I haven't had one since college (30 years ago). Almost anywhere I go there is a clock of some sort. Clocks in my vehicles. Clocks at work. Clocks in my computer and phone. I had a watch in college because they didn't have cell phones back then and I had to get to class at a certain time. But since, I have my computer or phone to remind me when there is a meeting. But when I retire, I just won't need a clock/watch much anymore.

In the same respect, most of the time I don't need a gun. Now I like guns - of course - but usually I don't need one. There are bears, cougars, coyotes and feral dogs up here, but generally they don't like or bother humans (except for the feral dogs).
Wish you the best. I'm semi retired and a watch seems indispensable to be. I knew a guy that was bear hugged and all he had was a .22lr target pistol. He emptied it shooing up under his jaw, towards his brain. Took a few rounds (ten) but he killed it.

I rarely have anyplace I need to be at an exact time and if I do I have clocks surrounding me and one in my pocket (my phone). I can show up for work any time between 6:30 and 9:30 AM. Once I get there, my computer reminds me about meetings, outside of that I get lost in my work. I eat when I am hungry and I go home when I get tired. I can work 6 to 10 hours a day as long as I put in my 40 hours per week and I am there for meetings.

I can't think of anywhere I go that I either don't have my phone in my pocket or a clock within eyesight.

I just don't need a clock hanging on my arm all the time too.

i bring my edc into work and put it in my tool box as do 6 other guys... and thats just in the shop. doesnt include the other departments. we have a no firearms policy in our employee handbook but honestly, its dont ask dont tell concealed means concealed. My boss is onboard with it and he carries too.

I don't care about gun policies. Nut cases, terrioist and killers dont' care about business gun polices. I carry my gun anywhere that doesn't have an metal detector. I rather be carried by six then to be judged by twelve. If you get the drift. Are you voting for 1492 or 1

I have the same issue. I keep a handgun in the car at all times.

Only way they will fond out is if you ever needed it. At that point your I'd rather be alive and unemployed, than dead and employed.

There's definitely that. My company also has a very strict no firearms policy, and also a search clause. Sure, I can chose to tell them to go take a walk, but they can tell me to go and do the same.

For me it's partially a numbers game. It seems FAR more likely to me that someone will break into my vehicle and steal my gun than it is for me to find myself in an active shooter situation at work. Having my gun potentially used in a robbery or murder is not something I'd like to think about.

I know of some people where I work that carry but that is definitely a "don't ask don't tell" type situation. Even for my work buddies that I trust, I would never tell them.

Admittedly I work in a very safe, low crime area (downtown Bellevue) where you're more likely to get hit by a crazy bubblegum driver than anything. If I were in some place like Federal Way or something, I'd consider sneaking a CCW on my person. Still not in my vehicle though.

I hardly ever carry unless I'm out walking my dog and only then because I might need to shoot someone elses dog. I dont frequent sketchy places very often and I dont engage in a risky lifestyle. My neighborhood is doctors, lawyers, and mormons. I'm 6'4' and 225 lbs and Ive been told I put out a serious cop vibe. Probably military training or just my personality. I dont know. NO ONE F's with me. In any case I always "carry" a gun in my car and I usually leave it there unless theres some special reason I NEED to carry it on me. Biggest reason I keep one in the car and in reach is because I work on and drive on the Yakama Reservation every day. I wont go into the long list of times Ive had people try to side swipe me while driving or run me off the road and getting gas on the res is an exercise in situational awareness. Ive had to pull my gun out of its home under the seat a few times and let it ride home on the trucks console while i watched the rear view mirror to make sure the guy behind me wasnt sticking a gun out the window. I open carry for critters when I'm out in the desert or woods and occasionally on my way home but the rest of the time not so much. I work in an office at work out in the middle of nowhere where no one goes. Carrying at work would be stupid.

Yakima....giving Chicago a run for its money in the per capita murder rate

Out in an office in the middle of nowhere, where no one goes is the exact place I would carry at ALL times.

It'd do me no good to have my weapon in my truck when meth head Bob rolls up to said office looking for ---insert any random thing here you have had meth head Bobs looking for ---

My normal response to them, while backing away&/or laterally is either the complete opposite to whatever they are looking for, or something equally as obtuse & random, & I conitinue along on my way.

In an office out in the middle of nowhere, where no one goes...well you've got no one around & no where to go...

It is sad that those we elect to support our happiness, success and safety, are doing more to suppress it that SUPPORT it. That said, it should not be legal for any employer (not even Federal) to ban the ability for us to at the very least, store a method of self-defense (of our legal choice) within our vehicle; even it is on their property. Within the building on our person, yeah, I can see the issue with that, especially in some work capacities. Maybe that should be allowed, if the person goes through a psych exam, background check and has a certificate of knowledge regarding safe and responsible firearm laws and usage. In addition, the method of carry on the job is approved as a safe method. Unfortunately for all of us that are responsible, there are too many that are not.

There's definitely that. My company also has a very strict no firearms policy, and also a search clause. Sure, I can chose to tell them to go take a walk, but they can tell me to go and do the same.

For me it's partially a numbers game. It seems FAR more likely to me that someone will break into my vehicle and steal my gun than it is for me to find myself in an active shooter situation at work. Having my gun potentially used in a robbery or murder is not something I'd like to think about.

I know of some people where I work that carry but that is definitely a "don't ask don't tell" type situation. Even for my work buddies that I trust, I would never tell them.

Admittedly I work in a very safe, low crime area (downtown Bellevue) where you're more likely to get hit by a crazy bubblegum driver than anything. If I were in some place like Federal Way or something, I'd consider sneaking a CCW on my person. Still not in my vehicle though.

Everyplace is safe---until it's not. Really. It may never be hit and then again....we don't have a crystal ball. There really is no safe place, if a human can walk into it. Even government buildings with detectors, sometimes guys sneak in with guns.
Unless you live in a steel box with guards, there really isn't anyplace that is totally safe.

Being an "un-armed" seccurity guard once, I can tell you that 99% of my co-workers were armed. But that's a different story, we had a lot of sketchy positions to watch over.

If they were ever caught, would they sure be in a lot of trouble. But, it beats being dead.

I remember when one of our guards got a death threat on his phone that someone was coming to get him that minute and like 5 "un-armed" guards pulled out their piece that min and chambered a bullet lol.

Well, my last employer waffled but didn't have a written policy. He did ask me to leave it at home once because he figured out what my holster attachment point was. I ignored it because he didn't pay for body armor, or for an armed guard to ride with me. We went everywhere - gated communities, ghettos, country, city, anything in between. Alone. I had to deal with the general public and carried cash on a regular basis. My bubblegum - not his - so I carried. I found out from a friend that said employer thought about making the policy a written one, but researching the subject he learned he was damned either way. His biggest concern was his liability if I ever shot someone. Our mutual friend pointed out that if I was hurt or killed by someone I could have stopped by being armed - he was getting his bubblegum sued either way, so he let the subject drop. He knew I carried but said nothing.

I've been self employed for a week now - so my boss is OK with me carrying. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top