JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you carry in your vehicle at work when it is prohibited by your employer?

• Yes, I would carry.

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No, I would not carry.

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only reason I don't carry at work is because I work on a psychiatry unit at a hospital... :(

I leave my carry piece in my car for this reason only.

That is a very good reason not to carry. I've worked in those facilities before, I've even had residents come up behind me and try and grab tools out of my tool belt - sharp, dangerous tools.

I once had an employer with a no-gun policy. But they also had metal detectors and armed guards at the entrances. Still not the best, but that makes it more acceptable, because they've taken real measures to ensure our safety where we can't.

I was a division manager at two different companies in my career. Both companies had management control issues when I came to them and had been hired because of my turn around work and skill. After actually enforcing the drug testing policy both companies had ( construction business's too :eek: ) we had about 30% come back hot, one guy was a complete nut case, we were going to blow them out and clean the crews up. These were meth and coke users.

The HR manager and GM came to me to assist with the terminations the next morning and I told them based upon actions of a couple of these monkeys attitudes that I was going to be carrying a concealed gun. Both of them were extremely relieved to hear that. In fact from that day forward I carried a gun on the job all the time, and sat in on all exit interviews or terminations.

I was pretty fortunate that all the companies I worked for had fairly loose policies, I travelled a lot on highways at night and stayed in remote areas.

I once had an employer with a no-gun policy. But they also had metal detectors and armed guards at the entrances. Still not the best, but that makes it more acceptable, because they've taken real measures to ensure our safety where we can't.
I worked at Fedex ground a few years ago and we were only allowed to bring cash for the vending machines, car key, and our ID into the building. We also had to go through security on the way out as well. Their point was that they ship EVERYTHING so we were not allowed to wear jewelry or bring our cell phones in.

I was fine with it, but I really hated leaving my other stuff in the car. I just didn't bring anything and left my car completely empty. A few of my co-workers had stuff stolen out of their cars in the short time i worked there.

I work on a "prohibted carry" site. And my employer is u.s. dot gov.com. I have been instructed that I have no rights while working on this department of energy site. If I wear a t-shirt with a hornady emblem on it to work and it offends someone I will be asked by labor relations to to remove it immediately and if doing so I do not meet the ppe requirements I will be removed from the job site. Talk about a double standard, give up every single right granted to you by the writers of the constitution, and we willl allow to work on this u.s. govt. Job.:eek:

Then work elsewhere if your job offendeth you so much. I'm on my 10th job of my adult life and they all have one thing in common. All of them paid more than the previous job. Some of them peeved me so much I HAD to leave and I was always happy I did.

FWIW I work with some of those DOE refugees and they are all much happier where they landed.

Excuse me mister or ms. Wired. The gov. Is supposed to work for us. We set the regulations. We tell them what we want. We don't "leave" because their rules violate our constitutional rights. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine. I stand my ground.

My 2 cents. If you are in an active shooter situation and you keep your firearm in your car. And you are able to get to said car. Get your self out of that situation. DO NOT retrieve your firearm and reenter the facility. Let law enforcement handle it. You don't want to be mistaken for being the shooter by law enforcement because you're sneaking in there with a weapon.

It's a bit twisted, because in Multnomah County, your car is considered 'public property', at least with respect to their ridiculous gun laws. Now, does that apply if your car is actually on private property, such as your employer's? Hard to say. Lot of grey area there.

This seems odd to me. A police officer or an employer going into your vehicle without your permission, seems like it would be a violation of your 4th amendment rights.

Moreover...even if it's correct (I'd love to see the appropriate code on this)...not every law is just and/or constitutional. We all know what the Second Amendment says and what the Founders intended. We must all decided for ourselves whether to follow a law or not. And in that regard, my safety and the safety of my family are paramount.

IIRC there was a recent court case where the corp. fired an employee for keeping his firearm in his car and the employee won the case. ...

Here is a link to Swindol v. Aurora Flight Sciences Corp.: http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/14/14-60779-CV1.pdf

Mississippi passed a law that said employer's can't prohibit storage of firearms in individuals' cars: 2010 Mississippi Code :: TITLE 45 - PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER :: :: Chapter 9 - Weapons. :: 45-9-55 - Employer not permitted to prohibit transportation or storage of firearms on employer property; exceptions; certain immunity for employer. Swindol stored a firearm in his car, his employer found out and fired him the same day. Swindol sued for wrongful termination, his employer requested dismissal of the action because Swindol was was an at-will-employee and won. Swindol appealed to the 5th Circuit Ct. of Appeals. The 5th Circuit asked the Mississippi Supreme Court to answer the question of "Whether in Mississippi an employer may be liable for a wrongful discharge of an employee for storing a firearm in a locked vehicle on company property in a manner that is consistent with Section 45-9-55." That Court responded: 'that Section 45-9-55 constitutes "express legislative action" that makes terminating an employee for having a firearm inside his locked vehicle on company property "legally
impermissible."' As a result, the 5th Circuit reinstated Swindol's action giving him the ability to sue his employer for damages.

There are two important things to take from this: 1) you need a state law to back you up, 2) this case is only precedent in the 5th Circuit -- we're in the 9th and so it could rule differently if it wants to.

----------

Here's another case, a little older, decided in Kentucky Supreme Court (so only of precedential value in Kentucky): WK WorkDay Blog | Employment Law Daily

----------

Another KY case, but in this one the Firing was OK because instead of storing the gun in his own car, the gun owner former employee stored in a co-worker's car. This took him out of the protection offered by KY law: Court Affirms Firing of Employee Who Carried Gun at Work

Actually, yes they do.

Your employer (or anybody for that matter) has a right to say whether you can possess a firearm on their private property. They also have the right to say what you can say on their property. Under pain of losing your job, and/or being asked to leave and charged with trespassing if you don't leave.

So right there - first and second amendment.

However:

Court: Man wrongfully terminated for having gun in vehicle at work

WK WorkDay Blog | Employment Law Daily

Ruling Upholds the Legality of Guns in Workplace Parking Lots

Kentucky Court Okays Employer Weapons Policy that "Regulates" – But Does Not "Prohibit" – Firearms in Employee Vehicles: Frost Brown Todd Law Firm

Well, I should have read deeper before I posted the above. ;-)

When my dad died my mom gave me his NAA 22 magnum revolver. The kind that fit nicely in a Levi's coin pocket . Now I don't carry a full pistol very often but the 22 mag is in my pocket quite often.

Not as easily. Its like theres nothing there. A 36 grain bullet going 900 fps as a last resort is nothing to sneeze at. Given the choice between that an not carrying anything I'll take the puny minigun.

Anywhere I go where carrying a real gun is actually appropriate I'm wearing the 26. I dont go to those places often.

Quite a different place where I work - very pro gun - heck we have the outdoor channel on a big screen in our reception area/lounge every day. CC & open show of guns is common. Heck the company owner chased me down the other day to show me a new Ruger he had bought.

Quite a different place where I work - very pro gun - heck we have the outdoor channel on a big screen in our reception area/lounge every day. CC & open show of guns is common. Heck the company owner chased me down the other day to show me a new Ruger he had bought.

You hiring engineers?

The only reason I don't carry at work is because I work on a psychiatry unit at a hospital... :(

I leave my carry piece in my car for this reason only.

Then again, maybe you should still carry

Psych patient shoots two at Darby hospital, doctor returns fire

A troubled patient opened fire on a caseworker and psychiatrist in a small office at a unit of Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Delaware County on Thursday afternoon, police said, leading the doctor to draw his own weapon and shoot the assailant.

Man attacks hospital worker

"He started ramming the sliding glass door in the emergency room and when a staff member confronted him, he shoved her into the wall hard enough to damage the sheet rock and cause physical injury to her"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top