JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you carry in your vehicle at work when it is prohibited by your employer?

• Yes, I would carry.

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No, I would not carry.

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is the penalty if you are found to be carrying on company property?

Did your company/hr department/manager/company handbook state?

My company's handbook says weapon, then goes on to list gun, knife and a few other things and includes the phrase "this list is by no means exhaustive."

So, it's a "no-no" for me, but there's no defined penalty.
Whatever your life is worth, my friend.
Sifu

I also agree with the above poster who said a car search is unacceptable without a warrant and i really doubt they would go that far. Instead as Joe stated OR/WA are at will states unless, so they would probably just fire you if they were to find out.

I am not suggesting this is common, only that it happens.

Back in 90's, I worked in the building I am working in now, (I have worked elsewhere in between) same corporation* owns the place now as did back then.
At the time they had assembly of computers here - white box types - which meant that as we went we had to open our bags for security. I opened my tool bag every day. They were looking for CPU's & Memory - expensive and small.
As it happens some guy got into a beef with his room mate. It boiled over in the parking lot.
Security came, cops came. While things were calming down one of the cops noticed a number of processors in a car. Told security - but also told security that he (a cop) couldn't "find" them. Evidence and all. Well the security officer, broke the window and found them. Now sure he was guilty of vandalism etc. But dude was up on grand theft.

Some searches are lawful with out a warrant.

I have had my car searched coming and going into federal government property - but never the get out of the car we are disassembling it searches. Just the the dogs are smelling, we are looking with mirrors, and watching you type.

My employer and the client where I work are both sheeple zone companies.

* same corporation, different location about 2000 we were installing - load OS and place PC on desks - as an office building was getting to be occupied. At that time desk-side support costs were under scrutiny, so companies such as Dell and IBM made easy to remove lids for the PCs. One of the security officers could open a case, remove the memory and return the lid in under 10 seconds, silently. He walked out unknown thousands of dollars in his ciggy pack. Passed those searches every shift. I learned this as we had to first place the 80-90 lb monitors on top of the cases (21"+ CRTs) then, later, remove the monitors as the ERGO manager didn't like that. And install pad locks. With the pad lock on they could still be opened/shut so, we had to add an L bracket. (like you use for a small shelf) With the bracket and lock I could get the lid off, but not back on.
Fun times.
The real valuable stuff is IP (Intellectual property) All your security guard searches won't find that.

* gun on the desk story. Same company, yet a different location, about 6 years ago.
I was walking in from the parking lot to my lab, past cubicles, and sitting on the desk is a hand gun. A pepper box. I assume it is a replica, and take a picture which I send to a friend who works security for the corporation at a different site. I also mention this to my coworkers, who all stream over for a look-see. One of them told the local man-he-door security guard and the next thing we know men in black ( why did all agencies goto black - it was better when local cops wore blue, county brown and troopers black ) are all over the cube. Some poor guy comes walking in with a backpack and gets grabbed and relieved of it and searched. No warrant. Turns out he was an intern who is Egyptian. Not sure what university he was studying at - Purdue seems to be a popular ground for interns here. Anyways, they had a nice chat and all went back to normal. I thought he might loose that internship, but nope.

What is the penalty if you are found to be carrying on company property?

Did your company/hr department/manager/company handbook state?

My company's handbook says weapon, then goes on to list gun, knife and a few other things and includes the phrase "this list is by no means exhaustive."

So, it's a "no-no" for me, but there's no defined penalty.

It depends . One of my foremen got caught with a 357 in his desk. I sent him to a concealed weapons permit class because while the manual said no weapons on company property there was not a section dealing with what happened if it was broken. I suppose it depends on what you do for a living and how confident you are you can leave your current job and have anothe rlined up quickly. I know I can get a similar job within a couple of weeks at the same or more money so it doesnt concern me much. I could walk into work with no pants on and they'd cover it up. Other people dont have that luxury and I understand completely..

I will not leave one in my car. My vehicle has been broken into before even in a locked, gated parking lot.

If I carry, it will be on me at all times, or at home locked up. My job also does not allow me to carry at work. It's not worth losing my job over carrying a concealed weapon.

Whatever your life is worth, my friend.
Sifu

And I realize that that presents the worst case scenario.

My question was more to the point about what happens between the company and the employee from our original poster's question.

If his company does/doesn't define a penalty if caught with a gun on premise (regardless of how it is carried/legal).

I would never leave my EDC in the car. That is super unsafe for you and other people should your car be broken into. I simply would ignore the employer's rule, or not carry at all. Unfortunately with all the workplace violence we are seeing reported, I would rather carry concealed and deal with the consequences, which I have.

PP made a video on how to secure a firearm in your car

No matter what company policy is, I would bring it and leave in my truck. (I don't drive a car) :)
I worked for a company for nearly 20 years. It started out as a privately owned company (I bought and sold guns with the owner/president), but it turned into a corporate owned, investment company backed mess. (that's me being PC cuz I really wanted to say bubblegumhole)
Then came the "Employee Manual" that we all had to sign. In that manual was a clause that stated weapons were prohibited on company property. Kinda vague on things like pocket knives...
So, at that point I was prohibited from carrying a firearm to work, but there was no regulation on what the customers did.
You can bet your bottom dollar there wasn't a day that I didn't have my gun in my truck.

I run a business. I have a no weapons policy written into my employee handbook. I carry everyday. So does one employee that I know of. It is written in there for insurance purposes. Things like that keep insurance premiums lower. As long as it's not openly discussed, I am not setting a precedent of allowing weapons onsite and don't really leave us open for liability to labor disputes if I ever had to fire someone for that reason. The only reason I could see the need to fire someone for that is if they threatened someone with it. If that happens I can couple that reason along with violating our workplace harassment policy and our workplace violence policy. In this climate of people looking to push litigation for the stupidest things, it's good to have more leverage on your side.

I work at a hospital with a no weapons policy, but in a reasonably secure area after hours. Locked electronic access X 3, concealed carry is possible (but again against policy), yet difficult to remain concealed (wearing scrubs).

The policy covers the grounds as well -parking lots, garages & a few city streets which the hospital maintains.

I have a pistol safe similar to the one pictured earlier on in the thread with a cable loop, yet mine looks to be a bit sturdier with a bigger cable. I loop the cable around a seat post in my truck or the car, depending. With the window tint & covered by a black yoga mat it looks just like the floor carpet -- if someone is looking thru the window with a flashlight. Without a flashlight, can't see hardly anything.

-I have less of a concern in regards to safety while at work, than I do going to & from my truck. Being a hospital & afterhours, there are a lot of folks at all hours around. Some of which are the dregs of society visiting there friends, or simply drug seeking. There is also a high risk of car break-ins because of previous.

My truck has the standard OEM alarm, as well as an aftermarket remote starter w/alarm & GPS. It texts me alerts if activated.

Edit: this is the cable safe I use in my Truck, and the car (if need be-depending where we're going). Also handy at home cabled to a metal shelf.

SentrySafe 0.12 cu. ft. Portable Handgun Safe with Key Lock and Tether Cable-PP1K - The Home Depot

-I'm hoping to buy a console vault, if they still make them, for my truck. Plenty of room in my center console for one & it'd be the most convenient. Last I looked they were pretty pricey though, so that's moved well bellow some other priorities for the time being.

Last Edited:
same policy at my company.
for me it depends on how much you value your job. people have been fired at my work for firearms on the work property, in a vehicle not on person. thus, i do not violate the policy.
i do work with airplanes which are subject to more firearms scrutiny and we do have armed guards.
An option is to park off of company property but then my vehicle would have an increased risk of break in.
when i can i do ccw most of the time. i think there is a slim chance i will ever need a ccw so not having a ccw at work doesn't bother me much.

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone for your input! Please keep it civil, no one appreciates being called stupid especially being human - we have all done something someone else thinks is stupid.

This is definitely a moral contract theory dilemma! :)

Well,I still just don't see the point of leaving it in your car or truck.
If you need it,it won't be at your side,so why bother bringing it at all?
Can you run to get it in time to defend yourself?

If you can feel comfortable not having it on your person at work for 8 or however many hours,then why not let it slide for the hour drive home?
Nothing's gonna happen,right?
Just leave it at home,no need to even have a CHL!
I'm sure some will construe this as inflammatory,and of course everyone loves their job:confused:
But really,it's just mind boggling to me to even think of doing other than carry at all times.
Federal buildings excepted,of course.
Anyway,just my opinion.

If there was an incident at your work that involved an active shooter are you really going to be able to leave the building, go to your car and get it out in time?

If I were in my department, yes I would be able to leave the building quite promptly - so long as the active shooting was not IN my department. :p

If you can feel comfortable not having it on your person at work for 8 or however many hours,then why not let it slide for the hour drive home?
I'm sure some will construe this as inflammatory,and of course everyone loves their job:confused:
But really,it's just mind boggling to me to even think of doing other than carry at all times.
Anyway,just my opinion.

It all depends on ones own personal risk assessment. I'm more likely to have to defend myself from a violent confrontation at a gas-n-sip, than I am inside my workplace. I'm a bit likely to have a confrontation going to and from my truck to my workplace...but I'm pretty situationally aware.

I avoid gas-n-sip places whenever possible, but sometimes have to grab something, or do a quick fill up because "we" forgot to topoff at Costco. I don't get upset anymore about being left on fumes, it's just one of those things...

In the event of an active shooter situation in my workplace, I more than likely, would have to stay. To provide care for the casualties, and the other normally critically ill.

If it were such a situation to call for an evacuation, then getting to my weapon to access it & then respond with it would be the least likely & probably least safe thing I could ever do!

My Constitutional rights do not end when I enter my employer's property.

Actually, yes they do.

Your employer (or anybody for that matter) has a right to say whether you can possess a firearm on their private property. They also have the right to say what you can say on their property. Under pain of losing your job, and/or being asked to leave and charged with trespassing if you don't leave.

So right there - first and second amendment.

However:

Court: Man wrongfully terminated for having gun in vehicle at work

WK WorkDay Blog | Employment Law Daily

Ruling Upholds the Legality of Guns in Workplace Parking Lots

Kentucky Court Okays Employer Weapons Policy that "Regulates" – But Does Not "Prohibit" – Firearms in Employee Vehicles: Frost Brown Todd Law Firm

Anyway,just my opinion.

I hardly ever carry unless I'm out walking my dog and only then because I might need to shoot someone elses dog. I dont frequent sketchy places very often and I dont engage in a risky lifestyle. My neighborhood is doctors, lawyers, and mormons. I'm 6'4' and 225 lbs and Ive been told I put out a serious cop vibe. Probably military training or just my personality. I dont know. NO ONE F's with me. In any case I always "carry" a gun in my car and I usually leave it there unless theres some special reason I NEED to carry it on me. Biggest reason I keep one in the car and in reach is because I work on and drive on the Yakama Reservation every day. I wont go into the long list of times Ive had people try to side swipe me while driving or run me off the road and getting gas on the res is an exercise in situational awareness. Ive had to pull my gun out of its home under the seat a few times and let it ride home on the trucks console while i watched the rear view mirror to make sure the guy behind me wasnt sticking a gun out the window. I open carry for critters when I'm out in the desert or woods and occasionally on my way home but the rest of the time not so much. I work in an office at work out in the middle of nowhere where no one goes. Carrying at work would be stupid.

Yakima....giving Chicago a run for its money in the per capita murder rate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads