JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty simple . Used Rockchucker by RCBS forty years. Upgraded to RCBS Turret and electronic powder measure. Added second turret. Faster, not necessarily cheaper but any problems I can resolve. Studied Dillon. My conclusion is fewer moving parts result in more simple problems and simple solutions. Could afford Dillon. Boils down to personal choice. I loose myself in reloading and slow down. One of few places where it pays to concentrate as mistakes might be terminal. Again, personal choice to load 9 mm, .357/.38, .454 Casual, .270 WSM, and .223.

Unless you buy an adapter for a standard powder measure, or a funnel adapter so you can weigh ea load, you will need a Powder/case expander for a 550. IDK about the 650.
For Rifle calibers I can remove the powder thrower and I have a plastic funnel that fits the
Dillon powder funnel. You are right pistol calibers require the expander die. I weigh on a
RCBS Charge master. I sometimes will weigh Varget, VV N140, IMR 4064.

Another vote for the Lee Classic. Started like you with the rock but a turret or progressive is the way to go for handgun. I load 6 different pistol cartridges at as easy 200 rnds/hr. I've used Dillons and they are the best but I don't need progressive press quantities, you can get into a classic for a whole let less(spend the money on components) and turrets are simpler making your boo boo's easier and faster to clear.
Good luck

Yup! My best shooting buddy had an old Lee turret and it was the bomb. I thought about getting one when my brother refused to return the 550 that I loaned him. But that is another story.

One nice thing about lee turrets is that you can get extra turret plates for about $11.99 vs Dillon caliber conversion kits for 47.50 and an extra toolhead (to leave your dies set up) for 26.95.

I like this press so well I now have 5 shell plates and 4 auto powders measures. All preset with the dies/powder charges for the loads I shoot. Change out in 10 min. Found a guy who sold all the plates/measures for $75.00 I also highly recommend the Lee factory crimp die in the 4th hole...great ammo.

When I called Dillon to order my stuff the guy told me to get the 650xl, he told me the 1050 is for commercial reloading doesn't have the same warranty, so that is what I got. I never looked it up so I guess he could have been pushing a sale, I dunno.

I like Sara Lee baked goods.

:)

bruce_lee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When I called Dillon to order my stuff the guy told me to get the 650xl, he told me the 1050 is for commercial reloading doesn't have the same warranty, so that is what I got. I never looked it up so I guess he could have been pushing a sale, I dunno.
I've been pretty happy with mine, and it'll crank out the ammo in a hurry!

I started as most did on rock chucker and progressed to progressive via dillon 550. Then to 650 then to my current hornady lnl ap ammo plant. Best dam move i ever made. Prepped military brass goes through at a cycle rate of 3 seconds each round. I re loaded 17k rounds of 223 for a group of rat shooters a few years ago had 6 weeks to finish. Dam hands felt like they would fall off from the round ball on the handle. All in all the locknload out performs the dillon presses hands down because of primer insert failure due to spilled powder. It shuts you down for about half hour to clean it up and re assemble. Locknload only requires a burst of compressed air to clean up. Ive had 3 650s a550 and my lnl and lots of experience to stand behind it.as with all progressive presses ball powders are the key to success although in 308 varget meters extremely well.

I too run both the LNL and a Dillon XL650. I like both for different reasons. That being said, if you are loading only one handgun caliber, the square deal B is I think a great way to go. If you load multiple calibers for handgun, the LNL does a great job a lot cheaper than either the Dillon 550 or 650. If no fuss is a big deal, then Dillon is the way to go. You will still have to fuss with it, but not as much as the LNL.

I still load rifle on my 40 year old Rock Chucker because I want .10 grain accuracy on my powder throws consistently.

No love for the 650? :D

I have had my 650XL for over 25 years now and love it.
I helped a buddy at work setup his 550 and get comfortable with it, it is a nice press. Six months later I helped my boss get going on the same 550 that my buddy sold to him to buy a 650, after using mine. I will take my 650 over a 550 any day. The only time I have ever had trouble with my 650 is when a 40s&w case slips in with with the .45 acp casses. I hate 40's!

I reload 9mm, 45 acp, .223, 6.5 x 55, .308, 30-06, .30 carbine and 8 x 57 mauser on my 650. Plinking ammo goes fast... very fast! Benchrest ammo goes slower but I get great results. My single stage bench rest reloading buddies have never been able to really out do my progressive ammo once we both get good loads worked up for our rifles.

The 550 is a fine press and I can't think of anything bad to say about it. My 650 is considerably faster than either me or my buddy or my boss on the 550. If you can swing the price of a 650 I would reccomend going for a 650. If your budget doesn't allow a 650 then a 550 is an excellent press.

A half hour to clean a powder spill on a 650??? That isn't my experience... a couple minutes at most. I have never used a Hornaday lnl progressive so I can't really compare them with Dillons. I used to own an RCBS progressive and it was awful. The Lee 1000 I used 20+ years ago didn't hold a candle to any of the Dillon presses... maybe they have gotten better over the years.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top