JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Why is it so common that when parent(s) die, family goes apesh!t crazy over $$$? I chose to disconnect from this dude (sometimes you just have to protect) and then went thru hell getting my property back... finally had to appeal to my Mom. And I really really don't like involving a 3rd party in disputes. At least I got my 550 back. No apology tho. :rolleyes:

Everyone,
I have been using my Rock Chucker for my means of reloading for over a year and have become quite comfortable with it. However, I am finding that the time I put into my more high volume loads such as .308 winchester, 5.56, 9mm, and 45acp make me think it's time to move to a Turret /multistage press. Since I have the dies, what would you experienced loaders recommend?

I'm a Dillon guy and have been since the 80's. I do not own a 650 but hear they're great. With already having your dies I would go with the 550B. Calibre changes are a bit more expensive with the 650. Really up to you. I can run one of my 550's fast enough to kick out 800 rns per hour.
The following is what is on my bench currently.
1 Square Deal in .357mag
1 " " in 9mm
1 " " in .45ACP
2 550B's
1 RCBS Rock Chucker
1 T mag

running two 650s and a rock chucker

x1 650 for rifle
x1 650 for pistol
on separate benches so I don't get powders and primers mixed up and have an accident. the old chucker I use for load development and small batch hunting rounds

running two 650s and a rock chucker

x1 650 for rifle
x1 650 for pistol
on separate benches so I don't get powders and primers mixed up and have an accident. the old chucker I use for load development and small batch hunting rounds

I haven't seen your setup, but from the description, I envy your work space. I am cramped into a 3 foot long bench and have to trade out presses 1 at a time..:(

Another vote for the 650. I have used mine for seven years now. While conversions are more expensive than a 550, you only have to buy them once. Many parts even cross over(.308 and .45 use same shellplate, buttons, and station one locators for example). You can even buy the machine and add the casefeeder easily when you are ready. 550 can use a casefeeder but it's finicky.

Anybody else getting this add popping up between posts?

5786B084-3FCE-422B-BFCD-05BC0C258C8A.jpeg

I'm getting bench envy! American made, and absolutely beautiful.
I'm guessing the 4 piece wrap around set is only slightly less expensive than a new shiny new pickup truck.

63E4A8F3-99DA-4A48-B53B-B1F023D89A0D.jpeg 932649B2-9FCE-439C-AD69-7C7018BFB495.jpeg

Everyone,
I have been using my Rock Chucker for my means of reloading for over a year and have become quite comfortable with it. However, I am finding that the time I put into my more high volume loads such as .308 winchester, 5.56, 9mm, and 45acp make me think it's time to move to a Turret /multistage press. Since I have the dies, what would you experienced loaders recommend?
PM sent.

i would say, find someone who has the different types and give em a try. at the end of the day they all work the same, the only reason I would recommend companies other than Dillon is that you can get the repair/replacement parts pretty much anywhere and not have to wait on mail order.

that being said, I love my 650s, a bit tedious at first to get setup but the ability to change out toolheads to swap calibers is well worth it.

i would say, find someone who has the different types and give em a try. at the end of the day they all work the same, the only reason I would recommend companies other than Dillon is that you can get the repair/replacement parts pretty much anywhere and not have to wait on mail order.

that being said, I love my 650s, a bit tedious at first to get setup but the ability to change out toolheads to swap calibers is well worth it.

That is a good point but I have seen less and less press parts available in stores. I can't reccomend enough to buy the Dillon spare parts kit with your machine. That way if you break something on a weekend you can be back to loading and call Dillon on Monday's for the free part to put back in your spare parts kit. That's the only downside to the 1050 but I haven't broken anything on mine yet, well now that I say that...

I started with a turret press kit from Lyman. Still have it. I would have never bought myself a Dillon RL550B, but my wife n kids did about 20 years ago. For the longest time I still used my turret for my rifle rounds, measuring every powder charge, but then realized that just because my Dillon is a progressive press, that doesn't mean that I have to use it that way.
There's a couple of minor gripes with the Dillon, but I think it's a fine machine and it can be used to crank out many rounds per hour if that's what ya want to do!

1 vote for the Dillon 550.

After using other progressive outfits, I have a Dillon 550 and a SDB. I would suggest the 550 unless you were to load only pistol. Do yourself a favor and go Blue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top