JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,
I have been using my Rock Chucker for my means of reloading for over a year and have become quite comfortable with it. However, I am finding that the time I put into my more high volume loads such as .308 winchester, 5.56, 9mm, and 45acp make me think it's time to move to a Turret /multistage press. Since I have the dies, what would you experienced loaders recommend?

I use a Dillon 550 for handgun calibers, but still use a single stage for rifle calibers, as I don't do rifle in high volume. Although I have rockchucker, my favored single stage is a Forster co-ax. It is quick and easy to change dies out, and can load pretty quick with a fairly short stroke and with the shellholder design. I received the 550 from my Dad with a bunch of dies in dieholders, etc. If I were starting from ground zero today and was focused on speed, I would consider the 650 possibly over the 550, although either one is much quicker than a single stage press.

Last Edited:
The Redding T-7 is a nice turret press.

I don't load rifle on a progressive (yet). My rifle loads are precision made with a lot of painstaking steps.

I do shoot a large volume of 9mm and other handgun cartridges though. The Dillon 650 is the tool for them.

For handgun I like the dillion square deal. 450 rounds and hour and you can see what you are doing. Best of all it automatically progressive so you won't double charge a round, if you buy a hand turner then you can get distracted and make a double charge. I have used my SDB so much they rebuilt for free after years of reloading for competition.

Everyone,
I have been using my Rock Chucker for my means of reloading for over a year and have become quite comfortable with it. However, I am finding that the time I put into my more high volume loads such as .308 winchester, 5.56, 9mm, and 45acp make me think it's time to move to a Turret /multistage press. Since I have the dies, what would you experienced loaders recommend?
What kind of "high volume" are we talking? I can make ~150 pre prepped .223 in an hour on my LCT with all the inline fab upgrades but it is a lot of work. I rarely run that fast with bottleneck cases it's too much like a job on the LCT. Handgun cartridges are usually what I load on the LCT.

For a turret press I'd recommend the Lee Classic Turret, it gets great reviews.
As a progressive you might want to wait until this new Lee press is released (April '18).
Auto Breech Lock Pro - Lee Precision
:D

Anybody see one of these yet? Titan Reloading has them listed for $130.00. It really just looks like a fully automated LCT.

The Dillon 550 is the most popular multi stage press. I started reloading on a Rock Chucker
and bought the Dillon 550 25 years ago. I reload match grade rifle ammo for competition
shooting. 223, 30/06 and 308 on the 550. I can also set up and weigh each powder
charge on the 550 by replacing the powder thrower with a funnel. I weigh each charge for some rifle
powders that do not meter consistent. I have broken numerous parts on the 550. And
I had it completely rebuilt by Dillon. All for free no hassle warranty.:D I also load
several pistol calibers on my 550. Dillon dominates competition shooting reloading.
image.axd?picture=2012%2f4%2fIDPA+World+Shoot+Presses.jpg

The Dillon 550 is the most popular multi stage press. I started reloading on a Rock Chucker
and bought the Dillon 550 25 years ago. I reload match grade rifle ammo for competition
shooting. 223, 30/06 and 308 on the 550. I can also set up and weigh each powder
charge on the 550 by replacing the powder thrower with a funnel. I weigh each charge for some rifle
powders that do not meter consistent. I have broken numerous parts on the 550. And
I had it completely rebuilt by Dillon. All for free no hassle warranty.:D I also load
several pistol calibers on my 550. Dillon dominates competition shooting reloading.
View attachment 433520
Pardon my just-woke-up daze, but will my existing dies work in a Dillon ?

I use mostly RCBS for rifle dies. Dillon 45, 9 mm and 357/38 dies. Caliber conversions
of a 550 are less exspensive than a 650.:D After brass has been sized, trimmed and
PP swagged I can skip the sizing station when I load the case with a 550.

Anybody see one of these yet? Titan Reloading has them listed for $130.00. It really just looks like a fully automated LCT.
This link has drawings:
LEE BREECH LOCK PRO PRESS

...has a shell plate, cases rotate not the dies
Has manual primer feed, more like a Pro 1000 with 4 stations, without a turret/breach lock bushings instead.

2018 Pro 1000 has a new base and index locating pin
Lee Pro 1000
:D
Edit: I get the Dillon deal, lets competitive shooters concentrate on shooting/not loading, at a price premium.
The OP needs to define more loading volume/change-over frequency/number of rounds per caliber/etc.
Some of us are reloaders who shoot, some shooters who reload...

Last Edited:
Another vote for Dillon 550. I have two of them now. One is set up for small primers and the other is set up of for large primers. Makes caliber changes very fast.

i started on a Dillon 550 and still use it for test loads or small batches, i don't have any automated parts on it and i use it to size my rifle calibers. when i find a load i like i use my Dillon 650 and i can crank out a few hundred rounds a hr with it. i just check my powder drop every time i reload the primer tube and randomly check oal. I can swap calibers in about 20 min give or take. Full disclosure I have only been reloading for about two and a half years now and there is a lot i still need to learn.

i started on a Dillon 550 and still use it for test loads or small batches, i don't have any automated parts on it and i use it to size my rifle calibers. when i find a load i like i use my Dillon 650 and i can crank out a few hundred rounds a hr with it. i just check my powder drop every time i reload the primer tube and randomly check oal. I can swap calibers in about 20 min give or take. Full disclosure I have only been reloading for about two and a half years now and there is a lot i still need to learn.
We're ALL still learning! I hope to never stop, though admittedly, I'd like to reach a point where I'm done buying reloading tools :D

Unless you buy an adapter for a standard powder measure, or a funnel adapter so you can weigh ea load, you will need a Powder/case expander for a 550. IDK about the 650.

Edit: Wait, I think that comes with ea caliber conversion kit.

The nice thing about Dillon dies is that they have a separate die for crimp... easier to adjust.

Last Edited:
100-600 rounds a month= lee classic turret
Up to 1000 I'd go with a Dillon 550, any more I'd do a 1050.

It's all dependent on budget and needs though. If you have the money and want to sit down and make a year's worth of ammo in a few hours get a 1050.

I am a big fan of the classic turret.

100-600 rounds a month= lee classic turret
Up to 1000 I'd go with a Dillon 550, any more I'd do a 1050.

It's all dependent on budget and needs though. If you have the money and want to sit down and make a year's worth of ammo in a few hours get a 1050.

I am a big fan of the classic turret.
No love for the 650? :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top