JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, I am with you there. I am not advocating selling a gun to a minor or a minor searching out a gun on there own.

It was just the blanket statement of "I would not want my 17 year old to own a gun" I was happy my 17 year old had interest and the responsibility to have his own firearms. They where his. Hell at 17 he had his own place and had his guns with him. Of course he got robbed and lost them all, but thats another story.

Not to say anything negative about you not wanting your son to own a gun... But why not? At 15 I was shooting in two different leagues, loading my own ammo and had half a dozen guns. I got my first rifle of my own at 12 years old. Not to say there is any "right" age but by 17 my oldest boy had several of his own guns, including an AR. There is no question he was old enough to handle the responsibility. Age is really not all its about. Some kids are not old enough to own a gun at 30.

She has mental health issues and should not even have access to one (safety is huge at my house). In my opinion a parent should be really deciding if a 17 year old should be buying a gun on their own, not whether it is legal or not. I just happen to have a very good example in my house why I would not want anyone selling a gun to minor without parents involved

Sounds like from the above posts that if this person is 17, they are desperately trying to buy any gun and that just screams no good.

I know a number of teens with guns. Starting when these boys and girls were in grade school, their parents, grandparents and trustworthy friends became actively involved in training them, supervising them and instilling responsible values/habits. Two of the boys are hunting deer in eastern Oregon as we speak. Both bagged their first last year with their own rifles. Both are routinely complimented on their crisp range discipline by people I regard as experts. Should they have guns? In my opinion, yes.

Some teenage stranger on the internet? How the hell could I possibly guess? Pass.

Last Edited:
If someone sold my 17 yr old son a firearm without my knowledge and consent, I would be outraged. Not that he is irresponsible, I bought him a 10/22 when he was 12. However, he is my minor child and I am the only one to decide if he should or should not have a firearm.

I recommend the 17 year old member who is attempting to by a firearm here on the forum be reported to the forum admin. He is more likely to be a 50 year old member of one of Bloomberg's groups trying to gather evidence to support outlawing internet sales of firearms.

Op, legally you're fine.

Purchase by Under 18:

Rifles/shotgunsCannot purchase from licensed firearms dealers(federal minimum). No minimum age for private purchase of these long guns.

HandgunsCannot purchase from either licensed dealer or private sale.

Possession/Use by Under 18:

Rifles/shotgunsCan possess/use in certain circumstances. Even though state law default is that youth under 18 may not possess guns, the law gives 8 exceptions.‡ These exceptions effectively allow possession in many circumstances.

HandgunsCannot possess under 18, with certain exceptions (federal law).

Exceptions:

• In attendance at a hunter's safety course or firearms safety course;
  • Engaging in practice in use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range or any other area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
  • Engaged in organized competition or performance;
  • Hunting or trapping with a valid license issued to the person;
  • In an area where discharge of a firearm is permitted, is at least 14, has been issued a hunter safety certificate and is using a firearm other than a pistol, or is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved by the parent or guardian;
  • Traveling to/from one of the above activities and the firearm is unloaded;
  • At residence and with permission of parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm for purposes of exercising right of use of force (self-defense) per 9A.16.020(3);
  • On property of parent, relative or legal guardian, and with permission to possess a firearm; or
  • Is a member of the armed forces, when on duty.
<broken link removed>

Personally, I would make sure the parents OR guardian he is living living with is fine with it.

IMO the king county webpage is just a thinly veiled anti firearm county page

However these would be the issues I see

Yes a minor could technically buy a long gun.

BUT

1. They need verification of adult to have it and transportation

On property of parent, relative or legal guardian, and with permission to possess a firearm and the whole possession and transportation issues in the RCW. How does one verify ?

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.042

Maybe some folks do not have kids or do not watch them close enough but if I found out my kid was online setting up a gun buy I would be the one who showed up to meet the seller. I would be far from happy with them for trying to provide my kid with a gun without my knowledge.

IF this "buyer" were actually a minor under 18 and he knew there might be a problem with buying a gun because of their age, do you think he/she would actually mention their age?

When I was 16 - over 40 years ago - and I bought wine and beer - I didn't walk into a store and announce that I was a minor buying alcohol - I just walked in and bought it. If they asked for ID I said I didn't have any. I never admitted I was underage or in any way alluded to it. It worked about half the time.

Now I get asked if I want the senior discount. :oops:

This sounds like a setup to me - probably by some anti-gun org.

Probably is a set up after they asked for a AR and then went to a shotgun. Who knows how many online adds that person/group has tried to bait.
I had to think about what Heretic said and I am pretty sure most kids would be smart enough to not mention it right off the bat especially since we know the person was already shot down for an AR purchase.
Either way it is bad news to even consider that kind of offer legal or not. You might end up meeting with a dad like me who is upset or you might walk right into the cops or some anti gun clowns who will make an example of you.
Which one of those sounds worth a risky quick sale.

So, help me understand.

If an FFL can't sell a long gun to a minor under 18 due to federal laws, how can a private person sell to a minor under the age of 18?

Easy. There are no laws making it illegal.

You do know that private sale of firearms is the last vestige of a the RTKABA, don't you? When that goes, it's all just privilege.

Probably is a set up ...

bSC2C3e.jpg

24 caliber or more is required in wa state.
where's the law?

I'd really like to sell this thing, but would like reassurance that I won't become a felon.

especially with the anti-private sale stuff coming up for a vote soon, I'm leery of people baiting sketchy private sales to get in the news

Here is the state site
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41&full=true
Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?
Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41&full=true

------

If an FFL can't sell to someone under 18, you probably can't either.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top