JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so ive got this guy emailing me about a shotgun I'm selling...

but he's 17 & says that it's perfectly legal in WA.

I've looked around online and didn't find anything. I called the sheriffs office and they didn't know ave directed me to the NRA website.

what do you guys think? Can you point me to something showing the legality of this sale?

I'd offer to sell to his parents and they can give it to him. Me, personally, would not want to be the guy that sold a shotgun to some kid who shot up his school. And, I would not want my 17 year old owning a gun

I may be a jerk but I would hesitate to sell to even an 18 year old. It may be legal but I was dumb as a rock at that age and far from responsible. I prefer even with a long gun to sell to people over 21.

where's the law?

I'd really like to sell this thing, but would like reassurance that I won't become a felon.

especially with the anti-private sale stuff coming up for a vote soon, I'm leery of people baiting sketchy private sales to get in the news

deadeye posted a link. Blitzkreig posted the law regarding parents. Bottom line is I would not sell to the kid if you have any concerns about legal issues. There will be some with a minor buying a shotgun from a stranger.

Really selling to a kid makes the whole lot of us that do private sales look bad at a very bad time to do anything that is a stretch.

Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

------

If an FFL can't sell to someone under 18, you probably can't either.

Sounds very similar to an email I got a couple weeks ago about a AR I was selling.

Here is the text i received

"Ok, my father and I are getting into hunting and would like to use this rifle for myself of course with my fathers permission. However, I am 17 years old but your post says you are private party and in WA state there are no age restrictions on rifle/ shotgun purchases through private party. Would you be comfortable with this sale?"

I was very suspect. The AR is not in the list of great hunting guns

I told him I would only sell it to his father.

He responded with this

" My dad said he wouldn't be able to make it today. I know that would be a problem for you right?"

I replied with this

So,I don't feel comfortable in this type of transaction

That was the end of it.

Curious is it not ?

Sounds very similar to an email I got a couple weeks ago about a AR I was selling.

Here is the text i received

"Ok, my father and I are getting into hunting and would like to use this rifle for myself of course with my fathers permission. However, I am 17 years old but your post says you are private party and in WA state there are no age restrictions on rifle/ shotgun purchases through private party. Would you be comfortable with this sale?"

I was very suspect. The AR is not in the list of great hunting guns

I told him I would only sell it to his father.

He responded with this

" My dad said he wouldn't be able to make it today. I know that would be a problem for you right?"

I replied with this

So,I don't feel comfortable in this type of transaction

That was the end of it.

Curious is it not ?
I was also under he impression .223 was not legal to hunt with (deer) in Washington.

I I would not want my 17 year old owning a gun

Not to say anything negative about you not wanting your son to own a gun... But why not? At 15 I was shooting in two different leagues, loading my own ammo and had half a dozen guns. I got my first rifle of my own at 12 years old. Not to say there is any "right" age but by 17 my oldest boy had several of his own guns, including an AR. There is no question he was old enough to handle the responsibility. Age is really not all its about. Some kids are not old enough to own a gun at 30.

Not to say anything negative about you not wanting your son to own a gun... But why not? At 15 I was shooting in two different leagues, loading my own ammo and had half a dozen guns. I got my first rifle of my own at 12 years old. Not to say there is any "right" age but by 17 my oldest boy had several of his own guns, including an AR. There is no question he was old enough to handle the responsibility. Age is really not all its about. Some kids are not old enough to own a gun at 30.

My kid having a gun I bought and control is one thing but a random guy selling my kid a gun is not OK with me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top