JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick question: I'm an Oregon resident but have been traveling and not up on current Oregon law regarding private party to private party sales. Do I have to go through an FFL to purchase a shotgun from another Oregon resident? Or is face to face legal for the transfer of the shotgun?

Thanks,
Charles

Gonna have to take it to an FFL and do a BGC before sale can go thru.

Look up SB 941. Sales from stores and private sales require a BGC to be completed and passed before the fire arm can be exchanged or purchased legally.

Last Edited:
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the changes applied only to handguns or both long guns and handguns. Guess that the state is no longer Oregun as I remember it.

They have to for the ATF. They keep a record in case they decide to conduct an audit of their books. Lasts 20 years. Good folks at sportsmans explained the process to me. According to them the ATF isnt as bad as some of their other auditors that come thru.

Im not wild about it either myself. OSP supposedly keeps a record for a short time based off their policy but hard to tell how well a policy is followed or enforced with such a minimalist staff thats under budgeted.

Best to play by the rules to avoid major head aches and fines or breakin rocks in the hot sun.

Per SB941 the following exceptions apply:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

All other must go through an FFL

They have to for the ATF. They keep a record in case they decide to conduct an audit of their books. Lasts 20 years. Good folks at sportsmans explained the process to me. According to them the ATF isnt as bad as some of their other auditors that come thru.

Im not wild about it either myself. OSP supposedly keeps a record for a short time based off their policy but hard to tell how well a policy is followed or enforced with such a minimalist staff thats under budgeted.

Best to play by the rules to avoid major head aches and fines or breakin rocks in the hot sun.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the information. I was hoping that I was mistaken in my interpretation of Oregon state requirements for gun sales between individuals. I understand that the FFL has to maintain their records of transactions for twenty years and that Oregon supposedly only keeps them for five years. All it takes is an act by the Oregon lawmakers and it could become a permanent record.
They (FFLs) only handle the Oregon resident private party transactions because it is required by the state of Oregon and not federal law. Most states don't require going through an FFL for private party transactions between state residents. Different for interstate transactions, commercial and any weapons regulated by ATF) because those fall under federal ATF regulations.
I plan to play by the rules and that is why I plan to wait to make any more purchases until I move to Texas. No Texas state laws requiring going through an FFL for any (handguns, rifles or shotguns) transactions between Texas state resident individuals. Going through an FFL for private party transactions is an Oregon state law requirement and not a federal (at least not at this time) requirement.

Per SB941 the following exceptions apply:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

All other must go through an FFL

I was lucky that I inherited father-in-law's weapons (very small collection) before California regulations and restrictions became even more onerous.

Best to play by the rules to avoid major head aches and fines or breakin rocks in the hot sun.

The short time is 5 years now

And if you believe the records kept by Oregon are really and completely deleted after five years............You believe: "You'll be able to keep your doctor", "healthcare will cost less and not cost you more" and "I have both ocean front property in Arizona and the Brooklyn Bridge available for purchase". (Disclosure: I only get a small commission on the transactions. PM me for initial deposits ;) )

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads