JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's post our PC'd bullet pictures

1FW0hhX.jpg
ERExNtn.jpg
PGYfDkn.png
W7vYVs9.jpg
vuzxxEH.jpg

These were done using this method
How I Powder Coat bullets

Last Edited:
What's the purpose? Just to be different?

PC (Powder Coating) and Hi-Tek coating are polyester/polymer coatings applied to raw lead bullets that encapsulate the bullet and works as a lubricant. PC and HT coating replace the need for messy lube and alox that can gum up your loading dies and cause extras smoke when fired. Both are allowed in most indoor ranges where lubed bullets are not.
Hi-Tek coating has been by commercial casters in Austrailia (where it was invented) for over 25 years and used extensively at IPSC matches.
There is the health advantage if you cast bullets, once they are coated you are no longer handling raw lead.
Coated bullets keep your barrel cleaner (when you use the proper alloy and size bullet)
These coatings are not a cure-all, coated bullets can be pushed up to 1800 fps w/o gas checks and near 3000fps with gas checks, proper sizing, and alloy (copper is added to make the bullet more ductile.
you can use different colors too:
differentiate different loads.
Cwr0iGE.jpg
spice up your cartridges (the pink and the bags are PC the rest are HT
v00UWvo.jpg
0TTLaAJ.jpg
make your bullets more "girl friendly
IWVewMR.jpg
and you can do the lone ranger look
UuLuUh8.jpg

Those look really good. I'm planning to eventually cast and powder coat my own bullets - have most of what I need to do that now. I know there are at least a few folks on this site that do powder coating of bullets, one that comes to mind is @Benchrest. Maybe he'll be interested in offering up a few photos.

I really like the idea of easily distinguishing different loads in the same cartridge - nice way to keep easy track of what you're shooting.

Moly? How do you do that?

For hi-tech you use either a two part liquid formula or a powdered version with acetone and add 5-6cc to 5lbs Bullets in a small bucket, shake for about 15sec to coat, spread out on a mesh sheet to dry, then bake at 200c (about 380-400f but my oven controller is in centigrade) for 8 to 12 minutes in a small convection oven. I usually do one coat, size with the Lee push through dies then add another coat.

I moved to coated bullets a while ago due to mess, health hazards of exposed lead, less smoke and just nicer to handle. Pretty much the same cost as plain lead, I use S & S Casting bullets. I don't clean my handguns that often and w/coated they stay cleaner longer.

So.... How do you control how much is applied? Seems there's a pretty tight tolerance on the diameter of a bullet being squeezed down the bore of a barrel.

Seems there'd be un-uniform thickness at different locations around the bullet diameter.

How much thickness does it add?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR