JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
E8872EDC-58F1-4AA3-B8C1-31C264546B3E.jpeg 495AF3C2-F07E-43FA-8CF6-EF51198A4310.jpeg
What's the purpose? Just to be different?
Love the way they shoot in my 45-70, here are some 500 grainers ready for testing.

So.... How do you control how much is applied? Seems there's a pretty tight tolerance on the diameter of a bullet being squeezed down the bore of a barrel.

Seems there'd be un-uniform thickness at different locations around the bullet diameter.

How much thickness does it add?
In my experience it depends on how you apply it (method and amount) and humidity and it can vary a little with the shake and bake method. I usually see a .002-.004 increase in diameter at 50 to 60% humidity. I usually run them through a lee sizer to make them consistently sized. It really doesn't take long once you get rolling and perfect your method. I do batches of 150 in the toaster oven and by the time one batch is cooked the next is ready to go in. I can do about 3 batches per hour. I haven't seen accuracy issues from slightly different thicknesses in pistol and revolver. The coating is tough and hard but not brittle.
20170821_182134.jpg

You can see in the pic above that it ingraves nicely in the barrel without srtipping off.

Last Edited:
Hi-tech is a liquid and if you weigh your batches of bullets you can use a syringe type medicine dropper to measure very precisely how much you add 6cc to 5 lbs adds about 1/2 a thousandth to bullet diameter per coat. I size before the final coat and have pretty good results.

In my experience it depends on how you apply it (method and amount) and humidity and it can vary a little with the shake and bake method. I usually see a .002-.004 increase in diameter at 50 to 60% humidity. I usually run them through a lee sizer to make them consistently sized. It really doesn't take long once you get rolling and perfect your method. I do batches of 150 in the toaster oven and by the time one batch is cooked the next is ready to go in. I can do about 3 batches per hour. I haven't seen accuracy issues from slightly different thicknesses in pistol and revolver. The coating is tough and hard but not brittle.
View attachment 429516

You can see in the pic above that it ingraves nicely in the barrel without srtipping off.
Didn't realize the bullet could be sized afterward. Figured it would shave off the coating. Makes more sense now.

Some of the colors I have
PC before baking
View attachment 430611

PC after baking
View attachment 430612

new 45/70 500 grn mold

View attachment 430613
Those look good! I've not seen anything like that sold in stores or on line. I'd like to buy some from you for my 45-70 if you can make them in .459 diameter? Let me know if that is possible? Also what bullet choices (weight and shape) can you cast and powder coat for the 45-70?(pictures?) Thanks in advance
Max

Some 35 Remington 200gr, 430gr Tombstone 45-70 bullets and some 35 rem and 45acp

Ive been PCing since it started on Castboolits.com, I just havent been able to in the last couple years because of pain.

35-200-02.jpg 430gr_1.jpg IMG_0432.JPG

that looks like a 452-252-SWC I use in Colts. How does it feed in an ACP?

My bad, I looked again and notice the number of lube grooves 452-200-rf

Last Edited:
Black cherry I presume.
I like HiTek also but only do it when I'm coating 40# or more bullets at a time, I get 5 - 8# trays of bullets going.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top