JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your gun doesn't care what color it is. Some people use different colors to mark different powder charges or alloy hardness

dATDPPP.png

EbgAyiu.png

WXonGkL.png

gKGc4vs.png

I shoot Badlands Poly coated bullets through my glocks. He is out of Lebanon. They are the cheapest bullets I have found for reloading; seem to work great and no fouling so far after 3-4k rounds down the pipe.

I shoot Badlands Poly coated bullets through my Glocks. He is out of Lebanon. They are the cheapest bullets I have found for reloading; seem to work great and no fouling so far after 3-4k rounds down the pipe.

Didn't you hear that you can't shoot cast bullets in a Glock :p
With cast bullets, you have 3 equations to factor in:
size in relation to the barrel, hardness & alloy type and velocity(fps)

To summarize this, you either slug your barrel or do a chamber cast and use a cast bullet 1 - 3 thousandths over the grove measurement (typically 2 thousandths is the magic number)

@ new containers from the dollar tree:
the first one is a nice size, works well and is 2 for $1 BUT you need to tape it up before you use it or it will crack
xkIcmrt.png xlZGhsw.png

the second is similar to the SOGO but the lid snaps in place.$1 ea and does a great job.
1 part PPG White 1/2 part flame red
w664pls.jpg mx073t5.jpg ZWImaE7.jpg

7ZD9WOp.jpg

8ndLL8A.jpg V6kgHoA.jpg

aGcWw3p.jpg

rhOjW9n.jpg

au7AHOt.jpg

DJYbnkW.jpg

rolling them on a towel to break loose any stuck together
eGLi9g9.jpg

hIAQMnx.jpg

yksuRsd.jpg
Smash test to check powder adhering

Powder coating acts as a lubricant and encapsulates the lead limiting contact with the lead. there are old time, hardcore lubers that refuse to change or think differently. powder coated boolits will travel faster with the same gunpowder charge.
Powder coated bullets cast the right size with the right alloys can be pushed apr. 1800 fps without a GC and close to 3000 fps with a gas check.
other advantages of powder coated bullets is that you can differentiate gunpowder loads by using different colors and ..... women like pretty bullets

yes but does it increase accuracy. i reload to obtain the best accuracy from my firearms weather it be lead bullets or jacketed bullets. if i decide to get into this powder coat method it will be to get better accuracy from my hand loads. so my question is does powder coating lead bullets increase accuracy? i have been Moly Coating my jacketed rifle bullets since the early 90's and yes it does increase accuracy in all of my rifles. so i was wondering if powder coating my lead pistol would also increase accuracy in them. thanks for the info GRMPS
Rick

Powder coating. Hmm. I cast bullets, but limit my own work to exotic or expensive bullets. The common/inexpensive ones I buy, like .32's. Several months ago, I bought a box of .32's from Midway. Won't mention the brand, but I opened the box and was a little surprised. They looked like they hadn't been lubed. Then I looked at the end of the box, it said something like these were lubricated with a proprietary, clear, dry lube. Okay, I'll try them. They didn't work out in .327 Fed Mag for me, serious leading issues that I hadn't had previously. Wonder if these were powder coated?

I've tried polymer coated bullets from several different sources, in general have liked them. Had sizing difficulties with some .45's, the coating bumped their size up enough that they wouldn't all feed smoothly. There must be some science involved in getting the coating thickness just right with respect to base bullet size. One objection I have to polymer coated bullets is the smell when fired.

I've fired ordinary cast lead bullets in my Glock 19, mostly just to see what would happen. When told not to do something, I revert to the "wait a minute" mindset, want to find out for myself. Had no difficulties with 50 shots fired. But that isn't a regular practice, 9mm jacketed (or plated) bullets are pretty inexpensive for the amount of shooting I do. Or good polymer coated ones.

gmerkt. commercial coated bullet sellers size their bullets after they coat them. The Polymer coating process (HiTek coating) is extremely uniform and consistent. IF the bullets did not fit they may have sent the wrong size did you happen to mic the bullets and get their dimensions? Clear powder coating will leave a sheen on the bullets.

P7id10t Yes cast - coat - size with powder coating, I like to polish my sizing dies (NOE has a great selection of different diameters and are more economical then Lee after you get the Push Through Size Die Body) lightly with 1200 sandpaper smoothing the center the beveled entrance to the die then polish with fine metal polish with a bullet shape polishing tool in a Dremel.

Some people like to size between coats (you can risk contaminating the bullet and getting bad adhesion on the second coat) but I've never seen the need for a second coat with PC for shootability though I have double coated several colors for appearances but sized afterward. You can use spray lanolin case lube to help make sizing easier.

gmerkt. commercial coated bullet sellers size their bullets after they coat them. The Polymer coating process (HiTek coating) is extremely uniform and consistent. IF the bullets did not fit they may have sent the wrong size did you happen to mic the bullets and get their dimensions? Clear powder coating will leave a sheen on the bullets.

Yes, and to the best of my recollection they were a couple of thou over .452 which can make or break, depending on the chamber. I've found that .45 ACP brass typically varies more than most other calibers in wall thickness. RP is pretty thin, I've always saved it for cast bullets which (with bought bullets) are usually .001 over jacketed. Even with the RP brass, some of the bullets in the afore-mentioned batch were oversized, looked lumpy in the case, some wouldn't chamber without bumping the slide which in my mind is a potentially dangerous practice.

I've also noticed that the exterior texture of the coated bullets varies. Most are smooth and shiny, a couple of batches I got were kinda grainy. The golden-colored .45's that gave me trouble were grainy.

I've used quite a few .356's in both .38 Super and 9mm P, haven't had any issues with those. Green, very shiny, smell bad when fired, these came from Bayou Bullets. Lately, I bought some of those fancy red polymer bullets that come from Federal, haven't tried them yet but they sure are purty.

If the commercial bullets were grainy, that would be from a processing error on their end, if you tumble coat HiTek bullets to long you get a grainy texture. I would return those and not buy any more from that company. If you ordered .452 and they sent .454 I'd ask for a refund or replacement AND if they wanted the oversized bullets back a return shipping label
45 acp, some guns can be picky in the COL and you have to seat fatter and TC bullets deeper than normal. I haven't had a problem with case thickness in the 45acp. I'd slug my barrel and order bullets 2 thou over the barrel diameter. (I've never bought cast bullets, I cast and coat all my own, the only jacketed bullets I've ever loaded were 223, I've loaded and shot a lot more cast 223 than jacketed)

Good information and advice. When I was trying out different products, I'd order so-called sample quantities of 100. That way, a box of 500 (for example) wasn't involved. If I liked them, I'd go ahead and buy a box of 500, as I did with the .356's from Bayou.

A lot of people have jumped on the polymer coated bullet manufacturing bandwagon, lots of choices. I've noticed the big on-line stores have been slow to add them to their sales line-up.

Eastwood PC
Bright Yellow, Tractor Green, High Gloss Black
the black and green are good
BUT
the yellow sucks even with 2 coats
definitely, need to do some blending to get the yellow to work without spraying
I'll try a white base coat with some white I have that adheres well but doesn't cover well and go from there

DJ6l1Ld.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads