JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was who I expected it too be.

He has some diehard customers from a long time of operation but I suspect that was due to a lack of options in the area.

Go see the 2 smiths mentioned repeatedly in this thread and pay either a little more or the same and save the headaches and damaged trusts.

Knowing the 2 Smith's Velsey and Jon, I would recommend a visit to ether and you can be sure your problem will be fixed properly and at a reasonable price when promised.
It is the person I suspected, years back, I had a little Savage Anshutz with a broken disconector, he promised to be able to fix it and have it running flawlessly. Over a year later after many phone calls he finally told me to come get it and that it couldn't be fixed, after all this and no repair, he had the nerve to try and charge me $230 for "looking at it"
And you could tell that it had been sitting in a open gun rack for the entire time, it had a year's worth of dust coating every thing! I could tell you other stories, but you all know how this dude does business, so no need. Go see Jon in the 'Couve, be happy, and enjoy your rifle as it is meant to be!:):):)

I'd have it all fixed and ceracoted (I'd also make sure the action wasn't actually twisted.. it probably is) by a reputable smith and then submit the bill to said JW.
small claims court with quadruple pain and suffering, lost time.. yada

Sounds right to me!

When I was about 16/17, I stopped by during the summer to visit my father at the office he was working in at the time (an electrical contractor). He was on his way to a meeting and asked me to come along, something he hadn't done before. I had the day off work, so I decided to tag along. We ended up in downtown PDX and headed up near the top of one of the office buildings. As we were headed there, he told me he was about to get his azz chewed out because their company, his workers, had made a big mistake, one that was going to be costly to fix, and he was going to meet the executives for the company they had made the mistake with. At that point I was wondering why I was even there, and getting uncomfortable.

We entered a board room with a large table. All the executives were there - 3 piece suits, all at one end of the table, leaving the other end wide open, for my father and me. My father was also in a 3-piece suit - me, I was in jeans and a t-shirt - very out of place. The executives asked who I was and why I was there, my father explained that I was his son and he had asked me to sit in on this meeting.

As the meeting got started, there was obvious tension in the room. Looking back on it now, it was clear they were ready for a fight. Arms crossed, stern looks, all gathered together so they could attack as a group. My father sat alone (me near) against them. I didn't know what to expect and was getting more and more uncomfortable in this room filled with intimidating people. They gave a brief introduction and went to start the meeting. As they were about to start, my father politely interrupted and asked if he might be allowed to speak first, which they granted.

What happened next is my father teaching me a lesson I have never forgotten to this day. I watched as he began his statement by saying "we screwed up, badly, and we have no excuses for what happened". He went on to say they were taking full responsibility for the mistake and would take care of the issue at no charge to this customer. He also said they would cover any costs/damages caused by their mistake to other trades that may have been impacted. In a matter of just a couple of minutes, those scary looking executives had smiles on their faces and the tension in the room was gone. They never even got to say/had to say their piece about this. The problem was solved, just like that. When it came time to leave, they all shook his hand and mine and thanked us for coming.

On the way back, I asked what happened. His crew had messed up on an installation - he didn't mess up, they did, but he took it as if he had made the mistake himself. He shared with me how he handles these types of situations, he admits the mistake, doesn't take a defensive stance and fixes it - to the customers' satisfaction, not his own. He also anticipates what they will say before he goes into the meeting. He knew in his mind what they would likely say and/or ask of him during that meeting and was fully prepared no matter which way it went. And by taking me that day, he taught me a lesson that I don't know I would have gotten otherwise. And so I put it in my mind to try and work to become like that. Unfortunately, it was easier said than done, and I had to learn some of those lessons myself as well, but that day stuck in my head, and still does today.

Now, 30 years later, I use that same tactic in my own business dealings. If I, or a worker I supervise, makes a mistake, I own up to it and I make sure we make it right, to the customer's satisfaction. It sometimes comes at a temporary loss, but my customers come back, time after time, because they know they will be treated right. People make mistakes, it happens, but the folks you want to work with are not the ones that don't make mistakes (they don't exist) but those that own up to it and will make it right by you.

As for that incident with my father, that customer became a regular customer for the company he worked for. The next jobs, they went straight to them and continued on with them for years.

To the OP - sorry about this, but you're probably going to save a few folks from the hassle of dealing with this guy down the road. Sorry to see he's unwilling to spend a little of his own money to show he's a standup guy, but would rather fight a customer on a mistake HE made. That's bad business, no matter what anyone does for a living, that will cost you far more than fixing your mistake. Word gets around, about the good and the bad. He will likely lose business over this, and probably won't even know why.
:s0101::s0101:

What really sucks is that I actually talked to Jon @NWCustomFirearms about this very project............

But ended up at CCG because it was closer to work, because I wanted to be lazy... now look at me.:(
Well don't be too hard on yourself. We all have lots of responsibilities that engaged and competent people like us take seriously in life. Managing our time is one of them and it affects how we make our decisions. I'm still impressed you didn't descend into name calling and appreciate the way you layed this out here for everyone to see. You're a solid and secure individual for doing that and I appreciate that in my fellow humans.

It'll probably hurt a little but I bet @NWCustomFirearms or someone like him can at least straighten you out.

You get to decide recourse with the other Smith you're in the driver seat there. Continue to be a professional client even if he won't be a professional businessman.

I appreciate the reviews on this site, so far they haven't steered me wrong and that says a lot about all of you here. @Joe Link should be encouraged by this.

His response this morning...

Hi Brian - Yes, generally on the Savage I wrap a stainless steel shim around the points of wrench contact. As I explained, getting the recoil lug aligned takes several tightening & loosening attempts. I neglected to use the shim, just that once, and it occurred. But I did point it out at pick up. I filed it down a bit and spot blackened but once bitten...
Since it's a blemish in the event you decide to Duracoat it can be eliminated.

My apologies.

Comes across as 'tough bubblegum' to me

Not to play Monday morning Quarterback, especially since its Friday.;)
Ask him how would he would feel if you were the Gun Smith and it was his rifle what would he think was a
proper resolution to this ?

When men struggle in doing the right thing often times asking them to be put in your place and you in theirs will give the answer you are seeking.:)

Well, here goes....

His Response:

Brian - Lots of words but nothing said. What is it that you want? Out of thousands of repairs and modifications unintended events occur. Unfortunately your rifle is one of them, cosmetic as it is. Please clearly express what you want and I'll attempt to work it out with you.

Regards.

Les Jonsson
-CCG

My Reply:

Les

Fair enough, Ill keep it short.

A simple cosmetic problem requires a cosmetic solution.

Properly repair the affected area and Duracoat it from tang to muzzle.

Thanks
Brian

Ill leave it at that...

If he balks at that idea, I will take it to a reputable GS and get an estimate... then off to small claims we go.

What irks me the most is how flippantly he is acting about it, after admitting his own neglect!

Well, here goes....

His Response:

Brian - Lots of words but nothing said. What is it that you want? Out of thousands of repairs and modifications unintended events occur. Unfortunately your rifle is one of them, cosmetic as it is. Please clearly express what you want and I'll attempt to work it out with you.

Regards.

Les Jonsson
-CCG

My Reply:

Les

Thanks
Brian

Ill leave it at that...

If he balks at that idea, I will take it to a reputable GS and get an estimate... then off to small claims we go.

What irks me the most is how flippantly he is acting about it, after admitting his own neglect!

You have followed all the required responses to justify legal remedy.
In court its important you as a plaintiff tried all avenues to resolve and issue.
If he says no, or wants to charge you for his mistake you then have a case . The fact its
rare it happens shows clear it was an accident . Yet it was his accident not yours.

My Father in law was having his 66 Mustang kicked up a notch with a racing engine put in.
Above in a over head storage at the shop a item fell and scratched his car. The shop without hesitation is sending the car to be matched or repainted. Thats how you do business. I was a business owner and if I screwed up I fixed the problem. ( I never screwed up though :rolleyes: ) .

Well, here goes....

His Response:

Regards.

Les Jonsson
-CCG

My Reply:

Les

Thanks
Brian

Ill leave it at that...

I agree his tone is dismissive. That is irksome to say the least. He should just be saying that you are right and offering to make it right.

I suppose my whole point is that its not his first day on the job.

I shouldn't have to tell him how this needs to be remedied. It seems like he was kicking the can down the road to see how much I was going to let him get away with...

Such is life... And this, right here is why I don't let other people work on my stuff. Guns, cars, whatever.

I will definitely be leaving feedbacks. Even if he makes it right at this point, it's already gone too far.

Wow! Open 3 days a week and operating out of somebody's residence? That should have been a clue right there. Also, I don't like people who deliver ultimatums in the advertising.

Just because some of us choose to work from home doesn't mean we do subpar work. For me it's the best scenario. I have a 36'x48' shop that houses all my machines and welders, presses etc etc. then attached to my home is a very nicely converted 2 1/2 car garage. I do most of my clean work in there.
I can step outside to test fire which is nice.
Rental on a shop in town would be quite expensive. When we were house hunting I specifically looked for a area that would be good for smithing work.

I'd be tempted for us to pass the hat around so that this gun could be made right again.. by a reputable gunsmith.. to show him that's how things are done in this community.

That's who I figured... I googled "gunsmith vancouver WA duracoat" and he was top of the list... with $200 as the price for a BA rifle it was apparent.
if you read his reviews, another guy took a gun in to have it fixed... He took the job, had the gun for a while, wasn't able to repair it after all, and gave the guy his gun back with a now ruined barrel.. charged him for labor even though he didn't fix the problem... and refused to fix or pay for the damaged barrel!

The smiths mentioned in this thread are pretty much screwed into being accountable now.(as if they weren't already :p).. just imagine the grief they'd get from the community if they did something like this:D..
I have my local that I use and he is great too... I have 1 mechanic that I trust and will not go anywhere else. I'm also reminded of that Ray Stevens "haircut" song

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top