JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to throw these guys under the bus because they've always been great.
I contacted them to replace the sights on my full size M&P Vtac and asked to have the flash hider removed from my M&P 15 .22 so I could try the Sparrow suppressor on it. Gentleman says "easy no problem"
Comes back out with my upper and says "Not sure what happened. I didn't put much pressure on it and the whole barrel turned"
I said "yeah you need to clamp the barrel not the receiver"
He comes back out and had the flash hider broke loose (marked up the barrel doing it) and says that he re clocked the barrel back to where it is supposed to be.
I reassembled the rifle when I got home and there's something messed up because the bolt doesn't close. I looked online and from what I gather the upper is fubared. I'm still waiting to hear back from S&W to find out if this can be re timed or if it's junk.
Hopefully the sight replacement on the Vtac goes well. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I'm sure that they will do right but, I was really surprised that they approached removing the flash hider on a firearm with a composite receiver that way.

From their website:

GUNSMITHING

"Need your headspace checked, a new handguard installed on your AR-15, or sights put on your Glock? Bring your firearm in and one of our armorers will take a look. If it's outside of our expertise, we can typically point you in the right direction."

I guess they should have pointed you in the right direction. They should be replacing it if it is fubar at no charge for an idiot move like that.

I emailed them back as soon as I realized that there is an actual issue and that I would be bringing it back in when they call to let me know that my slide is ready to pick up. No response on their end yet but, I'll remind them when they call so they have an opportunity to have whoever's in charge present when I get there. Hopefully we can have a conversation off to the side.
Again. This post is only for your consideration prior to making the decision to have work done there. They are really nice people and I've dropped a couple grand on Trijicon, streamlight, and magpul stuff there. I was eyeing a revolver while I was there that I planned on purchasing when I come back for my slide if it's still there.

You do not "need to clamp the barrel" it can be done either way with the correct tools. If your barrel turned one of two thing has happen, your index pin has sheared off, which you would have noticed or the barrel is loose in the barrel extension which should have a torqued to something like 150lbs and should not be coming loose. The second issue was common with nitride barrels from manufacturer screwing up the process, I suspect that is your issue. Who it the barrel manufacturer and is nitride or similar finish?

ETA:
Disregard that, I missed the M&P 15-22 part.

Last Edited:
This all happened yesterday. They said
the sight replacement would take 2 days.
S&W states their response to the rifle to be 3 to 5 days. Hopefully have better news soon.
I didn't want to post this but, felt obligated to.
I sure as hell don't want to feel obligated to post anything negative about the sight replacement!

Since I posted this I have been informed the the OP's rifle was not an AR15 - MY Bad.
My input is only good on an AR15.

When removing a muzzle brake or barrel on an ar15 I use a special tool made by magpul. It's a Bev Block.
If this tool was used, all would be well. It locks into the splines of the barrel extension - the barrel cannot turn, and nothing gets damaged.

thumbnail_20210309_160945.jpg

Last Edited:
When removing a muzzle brake or barrel on an ar15 I use a special tool made by magpul. It's a Bev Block.
If this tool was used, all would be well. It locks into the splines of the barrel extension - the barrel cannot turn, and nothing gets damaged.

View attachment 840527
Useless on a 22lr.

OP has a MP15-22

Would love to know what the idiot did to F that up.

Thanks for the warning. I've never set foot in their store, mostly as I've seen their prices on things pre Covid and they seem to be a elitist shop selling overpriced stuff. If they don't fix their F up. I'll have no reason to ever step foot in that store.

My gu
Would love to know what the idiot did to F that up.

Thanks for the warning. I've never set foot in their store, mostly as I've seen their prices on things pre Covid and they seem to be a elitist shop selling overpriced stuff. If they don't fix their F up. I'll have no reason to ever step foot in that store.

My guess he use one of these or something similar and despite what he said wreched on it.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...per-picatinny-rail-vise-block-prod126528.aspx

The 15-22 barrel does not utilize an extension pin, as the barrel is installed and uninstalled through the rear of the receiver. Also, the upper is complete polymer with the exception of a metal sleeve in the front that mates up with the barrel collar/extension.

FYI, Numrich gun parts has 15-22 parts including uppers, for less then 20 bucks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top