JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Obvisoult it's nothing new to you, but for everyone else...
Revere/respect a client's property more than they do, exceed expectations, over deliver, and INSIST to repay "double" when mistakes occur to make things right.
Your business reputation as a skilled artisan is EVERYTHING.
;)

This goes for more than just your trade... any kind of human interaction is aplicable. Your reputation is everything.
My father had a small business, and refused to sell any products he wouldn't own himself. and stood by every sell beyond the warranty. He taught me the importance of honesty in dealing with others, and how it may cost you in the short term, but in the long term it will come back many times over.
Something simple as returning a tool for example... I used a neighbors carpet cleaner. He hadn't cleaned it since he used it last, but I retuned it clean inside and out, and I even replaced the cord end that was missing the ground prong. After that, he would joke that I needed to borrow this or that because in needed some TLC.

I expect honesty, quality workmanship, qualimerchandise, and courtesy from anybody I deal with, and I won't give any less in return because wether or not you believe in Karma.. It's a good way to live.

Unfortunately to many the golden rule of do unto others, now ends with "before they do it to you" instead of "as you would have them do unto you".

Give him the chance to make it right. THAT will show his true character.
Either comped next service, heavily discounted or completely free perhaps even payment for the damage.. However, offering none of those as options means he could care less about his customers.. And at that point a negative review is completely warranted.

Yes, I agree: SH*T happens.. HOWEVER as a professional.. Its his job to ensure that type of thing doesn't happen.

His response this morning...

Hi Brian - Yes, generally on the Savage I wrap a stainless steel shim around the points of wrench contact. As I explained, getting the recoil lug aligned takes several tightening & loosening attempts. I neglected to use the shim, just that once, and it occurred. But I did point it out at pick up. I filed it down a bit and spot blackened but once bitten...
Since it's a blemish in the event you decide to Duracoat it can be eliminated.

My apologies.

Comes across as 'tough bubblegum' to me

All I can tell you is that mistakes happen. I have damaged customers things. My standard way to address that is give them the job for free, offer to pay to replace the damaged parts if necessary and apologizes profusely. I am always terrified when I damaged a customers part and honestly they are almost always pretty understanding and it does not seem to be a big deal. Maybe because I make such a big deal out of it to begin with.

In any case, I would have made a big deal of that if It was my work and offered to replace the damaged parts, but thats just me. I have no idea what typically would happen.

Agree 150% and is exactly the way I conduct my business here. Has it bit me in the @zz a few times? Yup, but you live and die by your reputation. It's worth it to me in the long run. Good to hear you feel the same!

I personally don't like sending an email or text in situation like this. Personally I would walk into the store and look the guy square in the face. You can tell a lot about a person by there body language.

I would be polite and ask him what he plans on doing? Like everyone has said we are human and make mistakes but if he values his reputation then he will fix the problem.

I read that letter response and it reads like this to me:

I know how to do it right.

I messed up and pointed that out.

Sorry your gun is messed up because I lack the ability to not make that kind of mistake.

I don't see anywhere that he is offering a solution other then is "should" duracote fine if you ever want to spend that money...

I would name the gunsmith for the people that don't already use @Velzey & @NWCustomFirearms.

Will he Duracoat it free of charge to make it right?

I'd ask for Cerakote for free. Also $200 to Duracoat an action is effing high when there are good places that Cerakote for less.

If he still isn't willing to make it good I'd sure like to know who it is so I can avoid him.

If he still isn't willing to make it good I'd sure like to know who it is so I can avoid him.

:s0002:

I am getting ready to have a trigger job done on my Savage 111. I'd like to know who this was too so I don't go to them.

Paraphrasing:

Yeah I messed it up and knew better. I pointed it out to you when you picked it up. Oops. It's only a blemish. Pay for duracoating that might cover it up....

If you don't want to blast the name on the forum please PM me. I won't post it either. But I don't want to go to them with my rifle and have them potentially mess mine up too, them have them point it out to me, then just tell me "oops".

Thanks.

Last Edited:
Yeah I messed it up and knew better. I pointed it out to you when you picked it up. Oops. It's only a blemish. Pay for duracoating that might cover it up....

I'd have offered to Duracoat it for free since the OP had already inquired. I'd have also told him there was an issue before he came in to pick it up. His costs to do that would be pretty minimal.

I didn't ask for anything yet, just let him know that the damage is definitely there and significant... And that I know it's there...

One thing I have learned in email communications is you need to clearly state what it is you want from them. It appears to me you sent an email pointing out the damage and they replied acknowledging the damage.

Granted, a stand-up business owner should offer to take care of you, but many I've come across will just hope you will go away without costing them anything more time or money.

I'm not saying you are wrong in any way, I just don't think your conversation with this person is finished.

quit beatin around the bush. tell him he f'd it up admittedly and you want it made right.

duracoat can look awesome... id make him third party it on his dime incase he neglects to do something else.

Edit: i cant put an engine together without torquing the vitals (head,main,rods, cam bolts) to spec and expect stuff to go smoothly. "sorry i usually use a torque wrench but instead i used my 1/2 impact gun... whoops!" that dont fly.

Last Edited:
I'd ask for Cerakote for free. Also $200 to Duracoat an action is effing high when there are good places that Cerakote for less.

Definitely this...
Cerakote is much better... however, I don't think it's going to cover the damage. Guy did a poor job of smoothing out the damage. That will have to be addressed in prep for any kind of coating. I don't know that I'd trust the guy to to do it, even if it was a free.. his file/spot blacken work leaves a lot to be desired.

I responded mildly... Under the assumption that we both know there is an issue, he has admitted fault... We'll see what he thinks.

Personally, I think Duracoating a barreled action is a small price to pay for taking a chunk out of an otherwise flawless receiver.

I'll see what he proposes... or tells me to eat it...

I won't out him until we actually reach an impasse.

His receiver needs to be blasted. Having the receiver and barrel re coated will save time and money from separating the two, ihmo.

Once stripped, I think op needs to be open to geometry changes if he truly wants the marks gone. The edge where the marks are can be blended if a chamfer is added the whole length.

Pretty easy to figure out who it is with a little sleuthful google-fu:s0108:

If it's who I think it is... I read reviews and you're not the first to get sent home with a damaged gun... according to the review he did not fix or pay for the damages either, so it's not looking good:confused:

Last Edited:
I read that letter response and it reads like this to me:

I know how to do it right.

I messed up and pointed that out.

Sorry your gun is messed up because I lack the ability to not make that kind of mistake.

I don't see anywhere that he is offering a solution other then is "should" duracote fine if you ever want to spend that money...

I would name the gunsmith for the people that don't already use @Velzey & @NWCustomFirearms.
This man is wise beyond his years lol;):cool:

Obvisouly it's nothing new to you, but for everyone else...

Revere/respect a client's property more than they do, exceed expectations, over deliver, and INSIST to repay "double" when mistakes occur to make things right.

Your business reputation as a skilled artisan is EVERYTHING. Guard that with your life and you'll have more business than you can handle, and you'll often get (or close to it) your asking price.

As a customer paying good money... insist on the above.

;)

Good One,
The last gunsmith I visited made me pay $30 to tell
me there was nothing he could do to fix my gun :eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews