JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up a Savage bolt action rifle, an unfired 111 fcns in 30-06
I then bought a bull barrel for it from a member here. Everything is good so far.

After looking at the cost of the equipment... vise, wrench, gauges, etc. I decided that I would just have a gunsmith install it since it would be cheaper.

I have NEVER been to a gunsmith for work before, I have always done my own work.

Long story short after a couple weeks I get the call to pick it up.

Looks pretty nice.

I noticed a spot on the receiver, the 'smith said something about the vise. I though it was a scuff or something, adhesive mark, whatever... nothing else was said of it.

After getting home and wiping it down, I noticed that the spot did not clean up and was actually rough and damaged.

WP_20170712_17_58_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20170712_17_58_48_Pro.jpg

Of course the gun was not in this condition when dropped off, and it was even mentioned that the vise had done something to it when I picked it up.

Clearly this is a problem.

Again, this is a local gunsmith who has nothing but great reviews on here and elsewhere.

It seems odd that he would damage a gun like this and then only casually mention it when seeing me rub my finger over it.

Nothing, not even an apology. I even asked about Duracoat pricing (my bbl is in the white) and he quoted me $200 for a barreled receiver... not even offering a discount after damaging it.

Now, like I said, Ive never been to a gunsmith before, but this doesn't strike me as standard practice.

I haven't contacted him yet. I wanted to get your opinions...

Should I ask for a refund? Should I press for him to smooth out the damage and refinish it?
What does one do in this situation?:mad:

All I can tell you is that mistakes happen. I have damaged customers things. My standard way to address that is give them the job for free, offer to pay to replace the damaged parts if necessary and apologizes profusely. I am always terrified when I damaged a customers part and honestly they are almost always pretty understanding and it does not seem to be a big deal. Maybe because I make such a big deal out of it to begin with.

In any case, I would have made a big deal of that if It was my work and offered to replace the damaged parts, but thats just me. I have no idea what typically would happen.

If it was me? I would have talked to, or at least tried to talk to the Smith first. Before anything else. See what if anything he does. If he admitted he did it and was willing to do nothing? I would post his shop name here for a warning to others. Now on the other hand if he is well thought of here I would also be interested to see what he has to say about this, if anything.

That is pretty significant, I'd send the picks to the smith and articulate your dissatisfaction. Also keep the high road and don't release the smiths info publicly until he's had time to respond to you.

My standard way to address that is give them the job for free, offer to pay to replace the damaged parts if necessary and apologizes profusely.

That is a commendable, stand-up way to do business. :)

I am reminded of a case like that a few years back. I brought in a handgun to have a part replaced, which I supplied. Said part was not particularly expensive, but it was difficult to track down replacements. A week later the gunsmith calls and says they somehow managed to break the part. They said if I could find a new one, they would install it, but they wouldn't replace it or do any legwork to find a replacement. Suffice it to say, that was the end of the business relationship, I've never spent another dime there, and the review on NWFA is less than favorable. ;)

I am in a small town, my family has run this shop since my grandpa started it in 1936.
Its the only acceptable way to do business.

Obviously it's nothing new to you, but for everyone else...

Revere/respect a client's property more than they do, exceed expectations, over deliver, and INSIST to repay "double" when mistakes occur to make things right.

Your business reputation as a skilled artisan is EVERYTHING. Guard that with your life and you'll have more business than you can handle, and you'll often get (or close to it) your asking price.

As a customer paying good money... insist on the above.

;)

Last Edited:
Public trial by supposition and possible innuendo does not seem productive or kindly.
If it were me; until I had exhausted reasonable recompense or vindication for the problem with the Smith, I believe it should be a private mater between involved parties & or their lawyers.
If disagreeable results prevail, then I too, would want to inform others.
On the other hand, if it falls into "stuff happens" and recompense is made, satisfactorily, No crow will have to be eaten or reputations degraded.

I have accepted less than perfect work from a smith on two occasions. Both times it wasn't a big deal to me and I let it go. However in this case that's real damage and you have every right to have it made good.

I'm emailing him tonight with the pictures. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't realize it was like that..........................

hopefully it's made right.

i fix cars, if one comes back still broken and it IS my fault for misdiagnosing it i fix it and make it right on my dime. its the right thing to do. i dont BS my way thru it. we're human, we make mistakes.its not like he purposely damaged your gun,sometimes sh!t just happens... if someone messes up something i am paying for i would expect an apology and an offer to atleast make it right.

just my .02

Obvisoult it's nothing new to you, but for everyone else...

Revere/respect a client's property more than they do, exceed expectations, over deliver, and INSIST to repay "double" when mistakes occur to make things right.

Your business reputation as a skilled artisan is EVERYTHING. Guard that with your life and you'll have more business than you can handle, and you'll often get (or close to it) your asking price.

As a customer paying good money... insist on the above.

;)

Stomper the sad part is this attitude seems to almost be rare now days. I know some customers can be "trying" to say the least but a business should try to treat customers right. I know with me if someone does me wrong badly, they will NEVER see my money again. OTOH when one goes out of the way to do right? They have me for life. The story about Davidson's and my Wife is a good example. Owner had no "need" to bend over backward like that for us but he did. Impressed the crap out of me enough that I just bought another gun from him. He will be the first place I look now over how he did that.

i fix cars, if one comes back still broken and it IS my fault for misdiagnosing it i fix it and make it right on my dime. its the right thing to do. i dont BS my way thru it. we're human, we make mistakes.its not like he purposely damaged your gun,sometimes sh!t just happens... if someone messes up something i am paying for i would expect an apology and an offer to atleast make it right.

just my .02

I have a mechanic I have been going to for over 2 decades for just that reason. All my kids cars went to him. He blew it one time on one kids car. Came in on his day off to fix it free. I did NOT expect that. He had me there. I don't even consider anyone else now.

Well if nothing comes of it then start naming names because while you squeaking the wheel may not get you anything, this is a very large tight knit community and we live in a very small world.

If this gunsmith wants to keep making money then he will make it right.

Just my two penny's

Based on your photos, the goods have been damaged.
You've achieved a confirmation from other members here about the damage (neutral opinions with no stake are always good barometers).

My suggestion for your next step is to email the photos of the damage to the smith, like you said you were going to. My addition to that would be; give him a time frame for when you would like a response and an indication of desired outcome (could range from apology to ??).

The other suggestion, if the person/shop isn't one that lives on email, would be printing the photos, or taking the gun in to him and explain your position in as calm a manner as possible so he doesn't get defensive (since ultimately that's not productive.) and an indication of desired outcome.

my $0.02 of unsolicited

I emailed the pictures.

reminded him of our exchange in the shop where he commented about the vise.

I didn't ask for anything yet, just let him know that the damage is definitely there and significant... And that I know it's there...

Again, benefit of the doubt... The ball is in his court now and hos integrity will yell the tale here.

They're closed tomorrow, so maybe nothing until Friday.

I'll keep you all posted

Last Edited:
I've refinished entire stocks, replaced barrels you name it. Told the customer what I did and how I did it. Mistake happen, and sometimes on a firearm I can't weld it up :(

I also have learned to take photos of all incoming firearms. To document damage that's already on the guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews