JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I may be crazy baby, but I ain't no fool." (Ronnie Van Zant)

This setup is for rainbows on lakes. And catch and release bass on the Tualatin where it's handy to fish, maneuver, fish, maneuver, fish, etc., etc.
I've seen guys getting towed in the ocean... when it starts heading out to sea I always think, "Brother I hope you brought a knife or some side cutters :s0112:."

I've seen guys getting towed in the ocean... when it starts heading out to sea I always think, "Brother I hope you brought a knife or some side cutters :s0112:."
I got towed against the current off of Manitou Beach on Bainbridge Island many years ago, when I accidentally snagged a seal that was following my squid bait.
...oops... 😳

Things out there can make a meal out of you
30 feet off shore?
I think not.
There's some pilings out there that used to support an old dock.
We used to tie up to them all the time and catch a bunch of Rock Cod.
Caught a crap load of Ling Cod once, out past the north tip of Manitou. Ended up giving almost all of them to another friend who came along but got skunked.
He later told us he had to throw it all out because they had mercury in them. :(

30 feet off shore?
I think not.
There's some pilings out there that used to support an old dock.
We used to tie up to them all the time and catch a bunch of Rock Cod.
Caught a crap load of Ling Cod once, out past the north tip of Manitou. Ended up giving almost all of them to another friend who came along but got skunked.
He later told us he had to throw it all out because they had mercury in them. :(
I don't like being in water where I can't see what's below me. Just like Marlin in Finding Nemo, "I didn't come all this way to be somebody's breakfast!"

I don't mind the boat but I don't care for being in the water.

That reminds me, I saw a big sealion kill a huge sturgeon at the east end of McGuire Island once. It was brutal I don't want any part of that. He played with that big fish like a cat with a mouse.

Last Edited:
I don't like being in water where I can't see what's below me. Just like Marlin in Finding Nemo, "I didn't come all this way to be somebody's breakfast!"

I don't mind the boat but I don't care for being in the water.

That reminds me, I saw a big sealion kill a huge sturgeon at the east end of McGuire Island once. It was brutal I don't want any part of that. He played with that big fish like a cat with a mouse.
Well then, I guess we ain't goin' fishin; and that's ok by me, but you should know, around here, 30 feet off shore is still shallow enough to where you probably won't even get your shirt wet.
...and in deeper water, I've seen killer whales do the same with sea lions, so if you ever come up this way, stay off the ferry boats! :eek:

Well then, I guess we ain't goin' fishin; and that's ok by me, but you should know, around here, 30 feet off shore is still shallow enough to where you probably won't even get your shirt wet.
...and in deeper water, I've seen killer whales do the same with sea lions, so if you ever come up this way, stay off the ferry boats! :eek:
heck, going surfing off the oregon coast I'm hundreds of feet out sometimes...everything has risks.

"I ran out of air at -105 feet"…
….. Wow, sounds scary… but you didn't finish the story… We're all left wondering.
Did you survive? 🤪
If you know a U.S. Marine, then you already know how the story ends... :s0140:

Facepalm_Picard.jpg

Oh yes. Crabbing in Nehalem bay once a pod of those straight dorsal finned murders went by me while I was in a 12' aluminum boat at top speed...beautiful but frightening. If they were after me I would have been gone before I even knew it. I was close enough to catch the spray off that fin and the boat rocked slightly. I couldn't believe how fast they shot by me. It took me a second to even think about the fact that it had been there and if it was even for real. It was there and gone in a heartbeat. I felt mighty small all of a sudden.

Oh yes. Crabbing in Nehalem bay once a pod of those straight dorsal finned murders went by me while I was in a 12' aluminum boat at top speed...beautiful but frightening. If they were after me I would have been gone before I even knew it. I was close enough to catch the spray off that fin and the boat rocked slightly. I couldn't believe how fast they shot by me. It took me a second to even think about the fact that it had been there and if it was even for real. It was there and gone in a heartbeat. I felt mighty small all of a sudden.
Reminds me of the days when Namu and his buddies would often pass by out here on the canal.
I was looking at the other side with binoculars one day, just to see what was happening, when I noticed a pod heading north.
I scanned forward and noticed there was one guy in his little 12' rowboat, fishin'.
He had his back to the pod so never knew they were coming (I suspect he may have been napping!).
All of a sudden, this huge black dorsal comes out of the water, right next to the boat.
Before its back in the water, I see his pole up in the air and he's already turned around, tugging on that little outboard for all he was worth!
Finally got the boat started, bow went almost straight up in the air and he headed for shore as fast as possibly could.
...still makes me chuckle when I think about it. :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads