JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
New 338 barrel.

A419DD7B-F251-4955-8846-ECFE057CF45A.jpeg F95AC529-25EF-4456-96E2-B0AAF81DBE3A.jpeg

You guys are really talented; waaaaaay more so than me!
But I've been wanting to make this thing for some time now, and I finally got around to it this weekend and finished the damned thing.
So I'm kinda proud of myself for doing it, especially in my current condition, so I thought I'd share some pics of my rough carpentry skilz...

It's a ship's ladder to access my nearly-walk-in crawl space.
I intend to move my SHTF food stores and some other SHTF gear down here, now that it's a helluva lot easier to get in and out of it!
It's about 65F down there, even with it at 98F outside today. So, cooler than I keep my house (72F).

The Plan (which has been sitting around my desk for about 3 years or more).
Yeah, I tend to procrastinate sometimes... :rolleyes:

View attachment 1012788

The completed article, ready for installation...
View attachment 1012789

View attachment 1012790

View attachment 1012791

View attachment 1012792

Notched (as an afterthought) to fit the trapdoor framing.
You'll see in the next-to-the-last pic why I needed this...
View attachment 1012793

All screws are countersunk!
So's I don't rip the flesh off my fingers as I go up and down the ladder...
View attachment 1012794

Support blocking under each tread
View attachment 1012795

View attachment 1012796

I was pleased as punch that I got the thing in the hole plumb and square! :s0140:
View attachment 1012797

Anchors away! Or anchored this way... o_O
See that cross member below the clip angle?
That's why I had to notch the stringer.
View attachment 1012798

View from the top...
View attachment 1012799
I would suggest some railing? Maybe?

View attachment 1059215
I'm teaching myself to weld and braze in retirement. I may have posted some of these here before, or others like them. I'm looking for metal things to use for wheels! Stuff like what's attached below. Any junk like this that you good folks may be discarding in the "greater" Portland area would be hugely appreciated. I'll gladly come collect whatever you're tossing. Broken, rusty, incomplete, won't turn - all fine. Other round wheel-shaped ideas welcome! Please hit Reply to this post or PM. Thanks!

View attachment 1059216
View attachment 1059217
View attachment 1059218
Are you still doing this? I have a big bag of old bearings.

Didn't "make" it per se. But necessity, they say, is the mother of invention since none of the store-bought gadgetry I saw would fit without drilling holes in a beautifully healthy vintage boat. Basically, I left a shop vac and a cheapo squeezy-clamp alone in the garage to mate overnight, which gave birth to the official Hoover Freight Rod-Holder Thingy.

IMG_2549.JPG

Last Edited:
Didn't "make" it per se. But necessity, they say, is the mother of invention since none of the store-bought gadgetry I saw would fit without drilling holes in a beautifully healthy vintage boat. Basically, I left a shop vac and a cheapo squeezy-clamp alone in the garage to mate overnight, which gave birth to the official Hoover Freight Rod-Holder Thingy.

View attachment 1207760
Okay I want pictures of you fighting a salmon in that thing right now:p. Or a sizable steelhead would also qualify haha

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top