JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Should concealed handgun permits be a public record?
Yes
29% 591
No
62% 1282
Undecided
4% 87
Don't care
5% 110

This is what happens when they are public record

<broken link removed>

HB 4045 Was signed into law by Governor Kitzhaber on April 11th 2012 making all concealed carry permit information private. So, for Oregon it's not really a viable poll, as it cannot be released anyway.

HB 4045 Was signed into law by Governor Kitzhaber on April 11th 2012 making all concealed carry permit information private. So, for Oregon it's not really a viable poll, as it cannot be released anyway.

This is true. But that doesn't mean Burdick isn't going to try to change it.

There is absolutely no advantage for anyone outside law enforcement and the permit holder to know who has a permit. Since CHL's are the most law abiding group of people unless they wanted to use the info for giving out a citizenship award I see no point.

This is true. But that doesn't mean Burdick isn't going to try to change it.

Let her try, it passed by a wide margin. I don't think she is going to waste her time and efforts on it, and if she does anything it's going to be focused on gun control, not privacy laws. I don't even see her tacking it on to any attempts she makes at gun rights. I'll be watching, because frankly I am more worried about what's going to occur on the state level, then the federal.

Let her try, it passed by a wide margin. I don't think she is going to waste her time and efforts on it, and if she does anything it's going to be focused on gun control, not privacy laws. I don't even see her tacking it on to any attempts she makes at gun rights. I'll be watching, because frankly I am more worried about what's going to occur on the state level, then the federal.

Yes, the next session in OR has me worried too. I also doubt that she'll go after CHL privacy...just restrict guns and magazines.

I made sure to write to my Sheriff's department each time this has come up in the past. I was extremely pleased that our previous sheriff proactively wrote to CHL licensees to tell us he would do everything in his power to prevent the publication of our information.

I disagree with the blogger posting the information of all the news staff. I don't think "an eye for an eye" is justifiable. Though I *Do* think it is hypocritical that the author of the article, a gun owner, omitted his own personal data.

That was completely irresponsible to publish that info. If some crackhead wants to steal a gun, that's a good place to start looking.
That only scratches the surface of the problem with publishing this information, everyone has their own reason for owning a gun and going through the steps of acquiring a CHL. One group of people, outside the gun community itself, that should object to this information being published is victim advocacy groups. Some victims, such as those of stalking and domestic violence, have to work hard to disappear/protect themselves. Such published information could lead their attackers/abusers right to their doorstep.

Last Edited:
I am not for it and I think it makes us a target for breakins, hopefull everyone has their firearms in a same. I do find it funny that they think that by putting this out there it is some how shaming the holders, well I don't think so and I would bet that the majority of people that have a CHL are the people that would be able to take care of themselves and be there for their neighbor during a crisis, what ever it may be.

Remember the saying: What does it take to stop an evil man with a gun? A good man with a gun. So this is an evil world and we have taken steps and put forth effort to be familiar and get training in firearms, to be that good man with a gun. Well I hope that is why you did it.

When it comes down to it whether its someone breaking into a house or looter from a hurricane or earthquake there is always some one evil, in the time of need hopefully there is a good man there with a gun and he hopes that his government won't come and take away his right.

But there is another side to the CHL address getting posted that I think about and that it just shows the people who have taken the time and money to go through the classes, get fingerprinted and pay the state fee.

But what about those people that own guns that don't have a CHL, I would bet there are more out there that own guns that don't have a CHL, what about those people? They won't show up on a map as a little red dot. So there are alot more gun owners out there than just CHLs lets not forget that.

I think the biggest thing as gun owners we need to do is stop the bickering between ourselves. We must be first and formost for the 2nd Amendment. I was reading the thread about the guy that lost his gun in the theater and to see the responses from fellow gun owners were just uncalled for. They were worse that the republicans after Mitt Romney lost the race; we tend to eat our own and that tears us apart and our opponents use it. So I suggest that before making comments that it be thought about twice to see if this will help or hurt the 2nd Amendment rights and the persona we want to put out as gun owners. (and yes mistakes will happen and we need to take the responsiblilty of those mistakes, but it is not our position to pass judgement here) Oh well I'm just an old man rambling I guess. Happy New Year and may the Lord bless you all and keep you safe.

If CCW permits became public records, I guess they wouldn't be concealed at that point. Having everyone and their dog knowing who carries by name, address, and probably by the pictures that are on the cards... oh that's a great idea. I thought the whole point of "concealed" carry was to hide our sidearms from the view of the public. Concealing something doesn't really work if everyone knows about it. Might as well open carry and hand out copies of our drivers licences to everyone. The people who think up this stuff never seize to amaze me, yet they are the ones who will scream the loudest when their privacy is breached.

I disagree with the blogger posting the information of all the news staff. I don't think "an eye for an eye" is justifiable. Though I *Do* think it is hypocritical that the author of the article, a gun owner, omitted his own personal data.

I disagree with that statement IN SPADES! So-called journalists need to be held accountable for their actions. I think the blogger who posted all the personal info online of all the people in connection with the story did a very good thing.

I dont see why its even come up.Cant think of one situation where that information would be helpful or even intresting to any law abiding civilan.Further more I think its great if criminals are in the dark about who does have one, if anything it benifits those who dont carry

The encouraging side of the story is the fact that in a state like New york there are so many responsible gun owners. Too bad they can't pass laws to treat their people like responsible owners. Glad I'm in Oregon.

Looks like a C-rate journalist on a B-rate rag had a five star idea. His job is to sell stories, and he got a big one with this. It's stupid and irresponsible, but it's a big win from the rag's perspective.

First thing I don't think people out here understand...no permit, no pistol, even in your hand at a gun store.

You have to have a permit, with the gun MN/SN on that permit, to even have it in your house. We are not just talking about the ability to carry, we are talking about the ability to possess when in NY. Very very few people have permits to carry in Westchester Co NY. There is even a SAF law suit going on about that right now.

What this was(is), is an attempt to intimidate, so that those on the fence, thinking about going through the 6 month process to even possess a pistol in your home, would think twice about having the information be public.

My hope is that it backfires, and finally all those NY gun owners get together enough to force the privacy laws to change.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top