JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you keep track of all the money you spend on firearms and ammunition?

• Absolutely, I keep every receipt.

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • I keep most of my receipts and have a general idea, but don't add them up.

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • Yeah, I keep track but don't want my wife/partner to know.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I don't want to know. It'll take the fun out of it.

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • I don't keep track or care.

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
I do not keep track of my spending to a degree. I have allotted so much spending money out of each pay check for fun money and my fun is guns. So if I want something big I have to save but the small stuff just gets bought.

Now I do keep copies of my 4473s for any receivers I buy for proof they started as a receiver. No real reason except my personal paranoia.

I do not want to know how much I have spent it would scare me.

I know about how much I paid for each gun I have, but I don't save receipts, like Jim said most didn't come with receipts.

For ammunition I keep track to a certain degree, 95% of what I shoot is reloads so I keep track of what components cost so I know what it's costing me to shoot certain calibers.

I know about how much I paid for each gun I have, but I don't save receipts, like Jim said most didn't come with receipts.

For ammunition I keep track to a certain degree, 95% of what I shoot is reloads so I keep track of what components cost so I know what it's costing me to shoot certain calibers.

I just started reloading this year & have cut way back on gun stuff, now it's reloading stuff!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I just started reloading this year & have cut way back on gun stuff, now it's reloading stuff!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
The best part is when you sit down and figure out how much more you can shoot for the same amount of money.

If you start casting bullets it will get even better, my .30-30 reloads only cost about .09 cents more a round than 9mm:)

I save receipts for any possible kind of warranty work, ammo malfunctions, just as proof of purchase! I save receipts for tools, just because I'm anal about my tools! o_O

I don't need to keep track, my wife keeps score for me. :eek:

Its funny, 19 votes at this point and nobody has voted for "dont want my wife/partner to know." -So, you dont want her to know that you don't want her to know??:p:D (Sounds like self-preservation to me)

I give myself a monthly allowance. When its gone, its gone.

Being on a rather tight household budget , I do a bit of trading instead of buying.
Usually no receipts in trading.
Not that I wouldn't save my pocket money to buy ammo or supplies , I just don't want to spend house money for big dollar items like a gun.
Andy

I don't give a hoot how much it costs me. I reload ALL my centre-fire stuff and cast all the bullets for my M/L stuff.

I shoot, sometimes, three times a week, and play trains a lot in my back yard and over at the club.

I guess I have around $50K invested in my trains, and around a quarter of that amount in my guns. I also have three pensions to help me make ends meet, even here in costy yUK.

Mrs tac used to be a great handgun shooter, but not since the handgun ban here in yUK, and fully understands what is needed to keep me happy in my hobbies.

She's had forty-five years to get used to it.

tac

I don't keep receipts on "consumables". I ALWAYS pay "cash" (actual or debit card), that meaning all the bills, groceries, and a bit into savings first... if I don't have the disposable funds in my checking account then I/we don't buy anything extra (at all).

What I DO, however is keep a detailed inventory/count on every round of every caliber that's in my stores. I keep a rather high "zero base" of each caliber that never gets touched unless you "break glass in case of emergency" (which thank God has never occurred)... and I keep detailed records of every firearm with their make, model, serial number, when/were/how obtained, and how much it cost me at THAT time.

I track all of our finances, including firearms-related, on Quicken and have done so for a very long time. I, generally, don't keep receipts, but instead scan them into the aforementioned program and toss them once it is digitized.

I keep track for insurance purposes, just in case! :eek:

boat-accident.jpg

Only warrantable items. Once expired, I throw them as I stumble on to them. which may be months or years after the fact.
Not to say I don't keep track of my purchase price, brief history or potential pertinent info, pictures, and most importantly, update yearly the current (TSRP*) value of each my firearms (only firearms and attached furniture). Stored on two encrypted flash drives kept in separate locations.
*Thor suggested retail price

Every month I keep track of every penny I spend by using an Excel spread sheet and
sorting out expenses by category.
I was actually surprised that I wasn't spending nearly as much in the Firearms
category as I thought I was. Of course it probably helped that I loaded up on
ammo before I retired :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class