JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you keep track of all the money you spend on firearms and ammunition?

• Absolutely, I keep every receipt.

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • I keep most of my receipts and have a general idea, but don't add them up.

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • Yeah, I keep track but don't want my wife/partner to know.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I don't want to know. It'll take the fun out of it.

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • I don't keep track or care.

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
I just started reloading this year & have cut way back on gun stuff, now it's reloading stuff!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I am amazed when I look at my components: brass, bullets, primer, powder - by the thousands. Granted, a lot of it I came by in trade, but for what I bought, I keep the receipts and cannot remember spending the money. What I do note is every time I go to Cabela's/Sportsman's/Fisherman's, I am stunned at the cost of the components....
Back in 2010 I started recording all my purchases and trades in a spreadsheet. I came to the conclusion that knowing how much I spent sucked the joy right out of it.
I save receipts for any possible kind of warranty work, ammo malfunctions, just as proof of purchase! I save receipts for tools, just because I'm anal about my tools! o_O
As I would expect most machinists would....

I don't need to keep track, my wife keeps score for me. :eek:
Its funny, 19 votes at this point and nobody has voted for "dont want my wife/partner to know." -So, you dont want her to know that you don't want her to know??:p:D (Sounds like self-preservation to me)
I give myself a monthly allowance. When its gone, its gone.
I hid my purchases from my first wife. The anger that eventually erupted learned me to never do that again. While I don't explicitly tell my wife about gun purchases, I never try to hide them. I've made 3 purchases "under the radar" in the last 5 years, all of which she has seen and held. I was looking at trading my Stainless CZ75B this past weekend. She saw it on the table, said, "ooohh, that's pretty - can I have that one?" which is what she says every time she sees it. Every time she has asked about the money, I tell her. Like Mrs. Tac, she knows it helps keep me sane and happy.

I don't keep receipts on "consumables". I ALWAYS pay "cash" (actual or debit card), that meaning all the bills, groceries, and a bit into savings first... if I don't have the disposable funds in my checking account then I/we don't buy anything extra (at all).
What I DO, however is keep a detailed inventory/count on every round of every caliber that's in my stores. I keep a rather high "zero base" of each caliber that never gets touched unless you "break glass in case of emergency" (which thank God has never occurred)... and I keep detailed records of every firearm with their make, model, serial number, when/were/how obtained, and how much it cost me at THAT time.
I now only keep records for insurance purposes: serial numbers for firearms, scopes, any numbered item. Special enhancements like chassis, triggers, etc, I log it in the spread sheet too with purchase price.

I only make sure I'm getting a good price on components and then I try and forget about it as the stash continues to get larger. If someone put the pile of ammunition I've shot and paid for in front of me I'm not sure if I'd grin or weep.

I keep receipt, manual, and all original packaging materials in the box if I purchase new. For trades there is obviously no receipt. I keep everything within the household budget, and whenever my wife inquires about the cost we get to discuss shoes, clothing, jewelry, perfume, makeup, hairdos, nails and pedicures. She usually changes the subject pretty quick.

Always keep receipts for guns of course. If I buy something like a scope I will keep it for a while just to make sure nothing is wrong. The rest I try not to think about it. I want to enjoy. Took one kid to the range yesterday who has not shot with me for over 10 years. She fell in love with the little 9mm rifle. She burned up a pile of 9mm ammo. I did not care how much it cost it was too much fun watching her have that much fun. Would have been nice if she had enjoyed the .22's we brought that much. Had LOT's of .22 and it's a lot cheaper. After she tried the little rifle that was what she kept wanting to shoot. :cool:

I keep receipt, manual, and all original packaging materials in the box if I purchase new. For trades there is obviously no receipt. I keep everything within the household budget, and whenever my wife inquires about the cost we get to discuss shoes, clothing, jewelry, perfume, makeup, hairdos, nails and pedicures. She usually changes the subject pretty quick.
LOL, this is how I long ago got the Wife off "you bought another gun?". One day went around pointing out her "hobby stuff". Pointing out how much was paid and what it would sell for now. Then started getting out guns. Quoting price paid and what it would sell for easily today. Before many guns she wanted to change subject. I told her when I die you can sell all of these and buy anything you want. :D

I use mint.com to track all our financial transactions for everything (credit cards, income, bills, etc). I created a new spending category called 'shooting related' and just categorize my transactions to that category.

LOL, this is how I long ago got the Wife off "you bought another gun?". One day went around pointing out her "hobby stuff". Pointing out how much was paid and what it would sell for now. Then started getting out guns. Quoting price paid and what it would sell for easily today. Before many guns she wanted to change subject. I told her when I die you can sell all of these and buy anything you want. :D

Yup, I've also brought up how I've never lost money on a gun, and even if I had to sell in a hurry would get most of what I've paid back for them. Old shoes, clothes, and handbags (forgot to list earlier) are basically disposable. Even jewelry get about 50% IF you were very careful about what you bought. I also have a spreadsheet that I keep updated with estimated values of all things (guns, tools, electronics), so if something happens to me she won't get taken.

Yup, I've also brought up how I've never lost money on a gun, and even if I had to sell in a hurry would get most of what I've paid back for them. Old shoes, clothes, and handbags (forgot to list earlier) are basically disposable. Even jewelry get about 50% IF you were very careful about what you bought. I also have a spreadsheet that I keep updated with estimated values of all things (guns, tools, electronics), so if something happens to me she won't get taken.
That's a good idea. I really should come up with something she can use to make sure some dealer is not trying to take her. Then if something happens to me she will know better. No doubt a lot of them would take advantage of someone who walks in not knowing the worth of something they are selling.

+1 for keeping updated records of values of every thing! Besides the guns and all that, there is quite an investment in Fire Fighting equipment and rigs, as well as hot rods, cars, trucks, tools and the shop with every thing in it! I really need to get off my butt and get that set of lists going so she doesn't get taken to the cleaners!

I voted "I don't keep track or care." since that is closest to my feelings, but I do keep track of what our guns have cost, not for budgeting or any financial concerns, but more for curiosity's sake. I have bought a few estates of reloading/casting/ammunition that I keep track of just to make sure that it was worthwhile. As far as personal reloading/ammunition purchases, we had the money at the time, bought it because we wanted it, aren't going to resell it or return it, so what does it matter?? Certainly no reason to hide it from Jeannie because she is into it as much as I am.

None of the categories fit my response. I keep rough track in my head. I have an entertainment budget that I rarely exceed. And every once in a while I spend way too much on a gun that I just have to have, and damn the budget. I set it and I can break it. I have moderate debt and great credit. I'm happy and not broke. I consider that a healthy balance. :)

I have all the guns original cost sn, etc in a spreadsheet. Baseline amount of ammo and always add to that. When you think you have enough ammo and then really inventory it you realize you don't have enough.

I don't keep track of the accessories and add ons. That would be like keeping track of what I spend on that 71 Ford classic pickup I have. Don't really want to know or care, it is not that much any way. The bills are paid, no debt except the house and that goes away next year. There is money in the retirement accounts. If I want a gun, I buy it. If the wife wants a new lamp, or paint, and something for the house since she watches all those damn home improvement shows every night she gets it. We both are on the same page and live pretty frugally.

I put gun receipts in the factory box, under the foam.
My biggest fear is my wife selling stuff for what I told her it cost:eek:.

I fill in the serial number with baby powder and take a pic (image) of both sides of every gun I have for/as a record, along with a text file of descriptions/values.
I give my SON (not my wife) these files.
I once had my wife help me with these pictures, and had all my guns spread out, together, in one place...BIG MISTAKE :s0054:

I've been selling off the ones I don't shoot much, and sadly many more were lost in a recent boating accident.
:s0108:

I don't hide what it costs, I just don't volunteer information. I would tell her the truth if she asks, which is why I try like hell not to give her a reason to ask.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top