JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
It should be one's own life above the life of the one that is willing to take your life, otherwise you are the only one that will be losing a life. Are we teaching humans to be omega's or Alpha's? Oh ya thats right. Only some get to be the Alpha's because the rest should just know their roles. " jabronies"

As I understand it, the cop had a right to be there. A call was made and the cop had PC to enter the property. This is SOP for this type of situation is it not? Now, when the owner denied access the supervisor should of been called AND animal control. The owner should of been detained due to stopping the cop from doing his duty and making sure nobody was beat up inside the house, and the animal control would of collared the dogs until the situation was over. These situations escalate quickly, egos and testosterone get mixed in and it becomes a powder keg. Really, it doesn't need to if handled correctly.

And there is no need to be offensive or rude because someone doesn't agree with you. We can all agree to disagree without personally attackign each other. We're all friends here. :)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There was no probable cause. The follow up story states that a neighbor got into an argument with this George fellow over George's driving too fast in the alley. George left the argument and went home. Unless George had threatened to come back and harm this neighbor or already had done so, the police have no reason to be on his property. End of story.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There was no probable cause. The follow up story states that a neighbor got into an argument with this George fellow over George's driving too fast in the alley. George left the argument and went home. Unless George had threatened to come back and harm this neighbor or already had done so, the police have no reason to be on his property. End of story.

I got to holy agree..... The idea of this being an officer that has arrested the 'defendant' in the past is even less irrelevant. That is where the police thought 'entitlement' is.... So wrong & this one learned the hard way. Unfortunately

When I was a kid - I was always taught that the police will help you and protect you - this is sadly a fallacy today - Law Enforcement is going to what they want regardless of what is right or wrong and the sad part is that they are getting away with it in most cases. I feel that there are some good LEO but by supporting the bad LEO they are part of the problem today. Take a look at the Gunrunnner scenario - they broke the law that they were tasked with upholding and they get away with it - no one invovled with the self created fiasco will pay for this in any way. The Law Enforcement in this country are headed in the wrong direction - they are becomming the group that the majority of citizens are begining to hate because of the actions a of a few officers. There is the mix of media and thier own actions giving the populace a negative preception of the Law Enforcement in this country - that perception is growing. When will the police learn that they are not gods that have the right to do whatever they see fit but rather servants of the citzenry of this country.

James Ruby

If you are going to stand on your porch and leave your dogs barking at cop then bad bubblegum is going to happen. Dogs are a great alarm system and maybe even a first line defense but they should not be used as a barrier between you and the police.

If you truly love your dogs like your family then you would take your dogs inside and secure them and then man up and address the police.

I'm no fan of the police coming on to private property without cause or a warrant. If it were my situation, the dogs would be called in and secured (along with my family) and then I would go out and deal with the police (hopefully not on my property).

This article indicates a lot of missteps on both sides and like all things that go fatally wrong probably could have been handled better by everyone. Hindsight is 20/20 but this is nothing but a sad story that is not ending well for anyone.

I agree the police are here to serve the public and act in the public's best interest, and that lines are occassionally crossed, but this question is absurd... You cannot kill a human being for *pointing* a taser at your dog. I love animals, but animals are not people. Try having the vet put a sick relative to sleep sometime, see if that works.

Wether right or wrong many of us feel that our pets are part of our family. You come on my property and then attempt to or act like you are going to kill a member of my family you must consider the consequences of your action. If my dogs are outside of my yard and terrorizing the neighborhood that is one thing - you come on my property and unless I am known to have done something illegal ( such as a where a warrant would be required ) - think twice. Because one does not understand the importance or value of a companion does not mean that thier owners will not go out of thier way to protect them.

James Ruby

Wether right or wrong many of us feel that our pets are part of our family. You come on my property and then attempt to or act like you are going to kill a member of my family you must consider the consequences of your action. If my dogs are outside of my yard and terrorizing the neighborhood that is one thing - you come on my property and unless I am known to have done something illegal ( such as a where a warrant would be required ) - think twice. Because one does not understand the importance or value of a companion does not mean that thier owners will not go out of thier way to protect them.

James Ruby

Well said.

Probably the same kind of people who want you to pull their fingers - grow up Trisonitz and bkb0000. I admit to and corrected the misspeliing. The message is still the same.

James Ruby

When I was a kid - I was always taught that the police will help you and protect you - this is sadly a fallacy today - Law Enforcement is going to what they want regardless of what is right or wrong and the sad part is that they are getting away with it in most cases. I feel that there are some good LEO but by supporting the bad LEO they are part of the problem today. Take a look at the Gunrunnner scenario - they broke the law that they were tasked with upholding and they get away with it - no one invovled with the self created fiasco will pay for this in any way. The Law Enforcement in this country are headed in the wrong direction - they are becomming the group that the majority of citizens are begining to hate because of the actions a of a few officers. There is the mix of media and thier own actions giving the populace a negative preception of the Law Enforcement in this country - that perception is growing. When will the police learn that they are not gods that have the right to do whatever they see fit but rather servants of the citzenry of this country.

James Ruby

You made a point that you weren't trying to make, I think.

There is no doubt that there are bad apples in Law Enforcement that make horrible decisions, and they are often publicized. But it is foolish to develop a mentality that regards all cops as evil, fascist pigs. All of the thousands of cases that happen regularly where a cop helps an individual or saves a life are hardly ever publicized because that is what we expect them to do. This man lost his life for a needless reason. The callousness displayed by some here is incredibly disappointing.

(Not in this specific post JR.)

Sorry to shorten your statement down a little, but although its excellent and to the point, you hit the nail on the head here. I fully understand, I recently had to shoot our family dog for making the fatal mistake of growling at our young 2 year old Granddaughter. It had done so once before, completely unprovoked. The second time was his last. He was a good friend, yet a choice was made to assure that any future (possible) attack would not be forthcoming. There is nothing that I could have possibly said that would have changed the outcome after the fact if he would have maimed or killed her.
Sad to hear, but I would have done exactly the same w/o hesitation.

I have trouble believing how anyone can elevate the life of a pet to the same level of a human being. I have to chalk it out to world views. If one believes we evolved from apes...

Any moron who thinks that this was a justified shooting gives all other responsible (and intelligent) gun owners a bad name and should not be allowed to own firearms. We will see how the, "I shot a police officer in the head with a shotgun because he was LEGALLY on my property and threatened to taze my aggressive dogs who wouldn't back down" defense works for him.

And do some research JGRuby and others. It is NOT TRESPASSING if the police officer is there to investigate a crime. He didn't need a warrant. Please stop acting like he was there illegally and was trespassing. This was not an intruder or criminal. It was a uniformed police officer acting in his official duties and the homeowner was clearly aware of that.

Honestly I said that this is from all accounts a domestic disturbance. Not a Domestic Violence call. When there is a disturbance it could be anything from barking dogs feuding neighbors or some loud music or sound.

If it had been a domestic violence call yes thats very highly dangerous and well kinda easy to spot. Hence the

All reports and everything I have found relating to this claims a domestic disturbance. Fine. After the story gets straight if this is a cop waving and threatening a land owner, has the Chief show up and he announces to execute the pet, and the land owner is getting the short end of the stick?... Is there a Beaten woman requiring protection?... Where is the justification for the officer to be on the property.

What happens when the people that are paid to protect you are about to shoot your dogs unjustly, and you never know from that behavior I would be worried about my safety......

I am hoping the man just missed the Chief and was really intending to shoot the real problem. If it comes out the officer responding pulled his gun and threatened the land owner, then holstered it and was just intending to shock to dog to threaten the land owner and terrorize him?... Or was the officer going to taze the dogs so the Chief could shoot it?...

All the stories are slanted. The Land owners side is biased and so is the LEO and the media. Beware of asking what went wrong because this might be a case of the police being totally out of line and the property owner being justified.

We are not placing equal life on any side. Threats were made this is falling under a terrorism heading. Should have the Chief under charges. Honestly if this officer with 2 orphan kids was waving his gun around threatening people?... And the Chief is allowing this behavior?.... Sorry to say I am asking for rights for the ordinary citizen to be free from assault by Public SERVANTS.

I say this is a case of terrorism by police. not seeing any behavior (YET) that justifies the officer being on the property after resolving the Disturbance call. If he has no reason to be there and the initial issue has been resolved if an officer stays on the property and harasses and terrorizes a citizen?... Why is it just assumed that the officer can bully his way onto anyones property?.... That is trespassing, a crime.

Officers should be held to a higher standard than this.

Again I hate that we are even having this discussion, a officer that was doing his best (we hope) to protect us, had his Chief richard him.

I am hoping this is not the officer and the supervisor both harassing trespassing and terrorizing the owner and animal. What would have happened if the owner hadnt shot the officer?...

Would the situation be the same if the officers executed the animals, then Rodney King the property owner?...

(on the case of Rodney King, felon huge and violent vs untrained police officers, incapible of doing more then terrorizing him into cuffs. hmmmm sounds pretty close except for the fact that RK is a felon, Property owner isnt sounding like much of a criminal...)

Over reaction or the right one?.... Time will tell what really happened. I would like to assume the cops are here to protect you.

Because of this I dont trust cops any more than I never did.

Historians that document the crime and will let it happen just so they have a job. Would be a shame if the Chief set all this up and sacrificed an officer to be a hero. Would be nice if charges for the wrongful death of the officer were filed for the very least.

In my mind no matter what happens the Chief is the one that directly caused the death of someone he was responsible for. No cause for him to be serving or protecting anyone.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top