JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
If someone came onto your property and threatened to kill your animals would it be moral and legal to protect them from being killed? With deadly force if needed?

I think a lot of folks on NWFA would say, with gusto, YES, especially if it meant killing a government employee. Of course it's not as simple as your question (bait). All out flame war in 3......2.......1

The question is not bait.

Here is a great comment from another web page.

» Police officer shot dead after pointing stun gun at man's dogs Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

"cajunpatriot says:
August 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm

well first i'll say i'm a dog owner....and our dogs are like our children because my wife and i can't have kids....so needless to say our dogs are part of the family and i also would kill if someone wanted to harm them cops need to realize this or ignore it to their own fault.....i just hope a member of the family go's and gets these dogs....because the way this went down they will surely put these dogs down i fear....and what a shame everyone lose's on this one...

and was the dog's really attacking...or were they barking to protect their home from a stranger?...a dog don't know if its a cop or a mugger....they just know Danger danger a stranger is here...

as the nation awakens and rubs the sleep from their eyes about all the evil thats going on against them..i fear you will see more of this.."

It is never justified to kill or intend to kill a human to save an animal. Not if the police shoot to save thier dog, not if citizens do it to save thier dog. NEVER!

Tough situation, I couldn't just stand there and let someone shoot my dogs. I probably wouldn't shoot to kill, but i'd get that person off my property asap, so I might be the one getting shot to defend my dogs.

If your animals are threatening someone who is on your property by accident and that person is prepareing to defend them selves, do you have a moral obligation to help said person or shoot them?

Help the person.

But I would not shoot my dog or hope the person who was on my property shoots my dog either.

It is never justified to kill or intend to kill a human to save an animal. Not if the police shoot to save thier dog, not if citizens do it to save thier dog. NEVER!

I strongly disagree with you. My dog is part of my family. I would defend her just like I would defend my wife or the rest of my family. Animals are living beings too, most humans are just too ignorant to respect that.

If I have legal authority to be in a premises and I believe I'm about to be attacked by an animal that can do me harm (not a hamster), and leaving isn't really an option, I have no qualms about shooting an animal, pet or not.

The reason I called your question 'bait' is because of the over simplified wording, which, by intention or not, begs a certain response. I've had pets most of my life (pets for about 40 years), and although I've loved my pets, they are animals. They are not human, nor do I value them as human. People equate pets to kids, which is ludicrous. I have kids, and there is no way a pet comes close to the love I have for my kids. No comparison.

To the incident at hand. The implication is that the dead officer just decided to shoot some dogs because a supervisor said to. That doesn't fly here. Nobody orders me to shoot anything, except a paper or steel target during training. The only time I pull the trigger on a living being is because I believe I have 1)legal authority to do so, 2)am within my department policy, 3)believe my life or the lives of others are in immediate risk of death or serious injury and 4)there is no other reasonable choice.

The article just doesn't give out all the details, nor does it paint a complete picture with all the nuances to make it whole. I suspect this thread, like others like it, will bring out the tin foil crowd and a few apologists. If a soldier, veteran or any anti-establishment type is accused of something, the conspiracy theorist masses will do everything to either defend their position or call for patience until more evidence is in. If it's a police officer accused of the same thing, the crowd reaction is much, much different.

I'd love to hear a K9 officers response to the question of whether he/she would lethally defend his/her "pet"...I believe police K9's are considered officers...is that true?

Sorry, I realize I might be going off topic here...

I'd love to hear a K9 officers response to the question of whether he/she would lethally defend his/her "pet"...I believe police K9's are considered officers...is that true?

In the line of duty, while performing the duties thereof.

Yes they are considered officers and I just saw an article where a guy got 4 years for killing a police dog.............

I disagree - my dogs are more important to me than most human beings - the majority of the human race I can do without - too bad if thats not what others want to hear. If my dogs are doing something wrong I will correct that situation - but please dont assume what value something has to someone else - it may be worth more than you think. I hope never to find out if an animal is worth more than a human - I am certain that at least two lifes will be affected drastically.

James Ruby

I strongly disagree with you. My dog is part of my family. I would defend her just like I would defend my wife or the rest of my family. Animals are living beings too, most humans are just too ignorant to respect that.

Unfortunately you would have a very tough day in court with that defense.

I've had pets most of my life (pets for about 40 years), and although I've loved my pets, they are animals. They are not human, nor do I value them as human. People equate pets to kids, which is ludicrous. I have kids, and there is no way a pet comes close to the love I have for my kids. No comparison.

Sorry to shorten your statement down a little, but although its excellent and to the point, you hit the nail on the head here. I fully understand, I recently had to shoot our family dog for making the fatal mistake of growling at our young 2 year old Granddaughter. It had done so once before, completely unprovoked. The second time was his last. He was a good friend, yet a choice was made to assure that any future (possible) attack would not be forthcoming. There is nothing that I could have possibly said that would have changed the outcome after the fact if he would have maimed or killed her.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads