JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You don't get it.

It's very apparent that they don't get it... As responsible gun owners, we all should be very aware of the consequences of our actions when dealing with firearms. I'm very aware of what would happen if I had to defend my family. Jail or not, if I'm in a position where I can either protect my family or let that family member potentially die, I'm going to chose to fight.

Am I defending the guy in the article? NO. I'm simply stating what "I" would do if I was confronted with someone (ANYONE) pointing a weapon at my dog. Just because it may happen to be a police officer doesn't change anything for me. A police officer is no better or worse than any one of us, we are all equals and I will respect anyone who respects me and mine. If you don't, then that's unfortunate.

As I said earlier, I'm very responsible with my dogs and I wouldn't put them in a position to defend me or my property to begin with. I'll likely never have to "have fun spending time in jail" because I don't go looking for trouble... To say my beliefs will undoubtedly lead to any of this happening to me is just silly.

I honestly hope to never be placed in such a position to find out. I do find it ironic that the people (LEO) that we pay to protect and serve us have more rights than the average citizen and that we have provided them the tools to forcefully take our rights away.

James Ruby

COPS, like any and all government SERVENTS have NO common sense, they are ignorant to a fault, thats why they are COPS, or government servents, like wellfare recipients, they can't make it without government handout. ( sarc OFF )
At least this cop can spell correctly and utilize proper grammar. "Government handout?" Welfare recipients? Truly amazing ...
If the cop had backed down he would still be alive.
Again, it seems some did not comprehend the news media's version of the event. The officer was in fact in the performance of his duties, responding to a call, and did not require a warrant. The officer had a LESS THAN LETHAL weapon out, which, regardless of whether he was about to use it toward the dogs, did not justify use of deadly force by the homeowner. The fact that some of you internet commandos may possess your own firearms rather disturbs me, given the content and tone of some of your remarks.
This incident reminds me so much of Ruby Ridge, Federal Employee shoots, and kills Debbie Weaver, while holding 10 month old baby, cowardly Federal Emplyoee shoots 14 year old Sammy Weaver in the back, Federall Employee shoots dog. this incident will not be the last of its kind.
Whoa, 157 posts before someone brings up Ruby Ridge. Maybe that's some sort of record. At any rate, if this incident really reminds you of Ruby Ridge, perhaps a brief history review, a reading comprehension course and a review of applicable state laws is in order for you ...

I have become very critical of law enforcement over the last few years. The no-knock warrants, the dog shooting, the wrong-house raids that kill or terrorize innocent people, the coverups, camera confiscations, and all the rest have left me feeling pretty luke-warm towards LE. -Something that frankly saddens me greatly.

But this guy:
9888657-large.jpg

is not anyone's hero.

I love my dogs dearly. they are like our children. But I wouldn't kill a cop for shooting one, as much as I might feel like it. They are dogs, not human beings. And pretending that a dog is more valuable or has equivalent moral standing as an entity with a human being is the worst kind of PETA nonsense.

This wasn't some case where people stormed into the house in the middle of the night. The shooter knew the guy was a cop. He could have put the dogs inside, he didn't.

There was no issue of self-defense. I don't believe for a second that Hitcho was in fear of death or grave bodily injury at the hands of the cop he killed. And you can't kill someone simply for trespassing, even if it WAS trespassing, which it almost certainly wasn't. (Exigent circumstances).

It sounds like the local cops handled this very poorly. But they did nothing that would justify homicide.

This is not a good guy. This was not a good shoot.

It's very apparent that they don't get it... As responsible gun owners, we all should be very aware of the consequences of our actions when dealing with firearms. I'm very aware of what would happen if I had to defend my family. Jail or not, if I'm in a position where I can either protect my family or let that family member potentially die, I'm going to chose to fight.

Am I defending the guy in the article? NO. I'm simply stating what "I" would do if I was confronted with someone (ANYONE) pointing a weapon at my dog. Just because it may happen to be a police officer doesn't change anything for me. A police officer is no better or worse than any one of us, we are all equals and I will respect anyone who respects me and mine. If you don't, then that's unfortunate.

As I said earlier, I'm very responsible with my dogs and I wouldn't put them in a position to defend me or my property to begin with. I'll likely never have to "have fun spending time in jail" because I don't go looking for trouble... To say my beliefs will undoubtedly lead to any of this happening to me is just silly.

I actually do get it. You are saying that you treat your dogs as family and you will react to others accordingly if they threaten them. I too have dogs, and I consider them a part of my family. I would do anything for them with the exception of illegally taking another man's life. I also have a wife and children which I value more than my dogs, and I am not willing to spend time in jail away from them because of my morals and love towards my dogs.

There is no possible way that this was justified shooting and I challenge anyone to show me a law that allows the shooting of a human being because of the perceived threat to a dog. In Oregon, you cannot shoot anybody because they are on your property and/or threaten harm to your dogs. It doesn't matter if the police officer had the right to be there or not. It doesn't matter if he was comlpletely trespassing or not. My point is that this was a bad shoot anyway you look at it.

At least this cop can spell correctly and utilize proper grammar. "Government handout?" Welfare recipients? Truly amazing ...
Again, it seems some did not comprehend the news media's version of the event. The officer was in fact in the performance of his duties, responding to a call, and did not require a warrant. The officer had a LESS THAN LETHAL weapon out, which, regardless of whether he was about to use it toward the dogs, did not justify use of deadly force by the homeowner. The fact that some of you internet commandos may possess your own firearms rather disturbs me, given the content and tone of some of your remarks.
Whoa, 157 posts before someone brings up Ruby Ridge. Maybe that's some sort of record. At any rate, if this incident really reminds you of Ruby Ridge, perhaps a brief history review, a reading comprehension course and a review of applicable state laws is in order for you ...

i don't think anybody is condoning shooting cops for using less-lethal against dogs.

The COP had no warrant, no right to be on the property, all had to do was back down, COPS, like any and all government SERVENTS have NO common sense, they are ignorant to a fault, thats why they are COPS, or government servents, like wellfare recipients, they can't make it without government handout. ( sarc OFF ) If the cop had backed down he would still be alive. This incident reminds me so much of Ruby Ridge, Federal Employee shoots, and kills Debbie Weaver, while holding 10 month old baby, cowardly Federal Emplyoee shoots 14 year old Sammy Weaver in the back, Federall Employee shoots dog. this incident will not be the last of its kind.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about some gun owners.Always about the man comin' for us

Can't really believe this thread is still open

Had Weaver been living and conducting himself legally,he wouldn't have been on anybody's radar and the feds wouldn't have come to his house.As it was,he was doing some shady dealings that put him on the fed's radar and he got a visit
Plain and simple

I/m sure this has made it to some anti gunner as a great example of what lunatic us gun owners are.And I'm sure some LEOs have read this and furthered their hate for personal gun ownership.
Some of y'all are pretty messed up in the head.

Some are taking the home owner's side as protecting his home.Again,he was a know problem neighbor,he probably threatened someone and needed to be shot himself.
This wasn't anything about him protecting his home.That's was seems to be what nobody is getting.It was about him being a thug
Are the ones on here defending him neighborhood bullies themselves?
Would you have been his buddy,making threats to the rest of the neighborhood? The guy was a POS and is now a cop killer
Some of y'all are truly messed up

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews