JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sorry wou42 - I dsiagree with you. I was going to write a long disertation on how wrong I think you are. Not really needed. The point is that if I catch a police officer sneaking around my house - not coming to my front door first - I will treat him as I would any other prowler - there is a code of conduct that is expected from both sides. Secondly if I beleive that the police officer has intent to hurt some member of my family I will do what ever is necessary to resolve that situation in my famly's and my best interest.

I dsiagree with you on the statement that this makes all gun owners a bad name who think this way. I disagree - this gives the cops / police one more bad name. If a cop had shot the individual in the face the officer might have lost his job after the union protected him. It has happened all too often here in Portland. As we need all new politicians we need new police officers that have some commonsense and work within the law instead of doing what they want as they want. H3ll police officers cant even control jay walking any more - to me they are no longer the people to trust as when I was growing up. The worse thing that happens to a police officer for killing someone now days is they get fired.

James Ruby

I agree the police are here to serve the public and act in the public's best interest, and that lines are occassionally crossed, but this question is absurd... You cannot kill a human being for *pointing* a taser at your dog. I love animals, but animals are not people. Try having the vet put a sick relative to sleep sometime, see if that works.

Police are not here to protect us or serve and protect and that was stated in the Supreme Court. Police really don't have to do anything and if you think it is their job to protect you, think of protecting yourself you will be better off.

Police are not here to protect us or serve and protect and that was stated in the Supreme Court. Police really don't have to do anything and if you think it is their job to protect you, think of protecting yourself you will be better off.

Scott, nowhere did I say the police are here to 'protect' us. Please re-read my post. I was implying the police are paid for by the taxpayer, therefore they are accountable to the taxpayer.

This is a tragic incident.
I like a lot of people consider my dog a part of my family, my best friend, and my child. I would protect her with my life, and probably take someone's life for trying to take hers.

But in this situation, the cop should have had adequate back up, he should have used pepper spray on the dogs, not go straight to killing them, or tazing. The guy obviously tried to use his dogs to keep the police from investigating the alleged crime. And unless the police officer was in fear of his life he shouldn't have the right to kill your animals.
Unfortunately dogs are still considered property just like cats, horses, etc.

I think the cops handled this wrong, but taht guy should go to jail to the rest of his life.

The point is that if I catch a police officer sneaking around my house - not coming to my front door first - I will treat him as I would any other prowler - there is a code of conduct that is expected from both sides.
James Ruby

Really? So I'm looking for a suspect that may be hiding in your yard, or covering a K9 officer and we end up in your yard looking for someone...and you're coming out with your gun or other implement and going to yell at us? Believe it or not, going to your front door to see if you're home is not reasonable if we're in the middle of a track.

Really? So I'm looking for a suspect that may be hiding in your yard, or covering a K9 officer and we end up in your yard looking for someone...and you're coming out with your gun or other implement and going to yell at us? Believe it or not, going to your front door to see if you're home is not reasonable if we're in the middle of a track.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's unreasonable to you only because of police disrespect of other peoples' private property.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's unreasonable to you only because of police disrespect of other peoples' private property.

Based on most of your other posts I've seen, I'm not surprised in the least that you would advocate for confronting police with a gun who happen to be in your yard or on your property looking for someone who had been running from them.

It's not about respect, no matter how much you hate me and want to make it about respect. Me going in someone's yard while looking for someone has nothing to do with respect for the property owner's rights. It's about me trying to find a dangerous person, and doing what the law says I have a right to do. Try all you want mr. hater, but its not about "respect." I'll do everything in my power to be respectful of the property (not break anything, not disturb anything, put things back if they are moved, etc...) but sometimes it happens. We pay for things we break, and while inconvenient, it's not intentional.

ETA: If I saw police in my yard looking for someone/something, I would obviously watch to see what was going on, and would probably ask what was happening, but going outside with a gun and a huge chip on my shoulder screaming about "respect?" Get real.

Therein lies the problem.
To you, performing your duties and being respectful are mutually exclusive.
To you, regardless of intentions, respect is an afterthought.

When turnabout becomes fair play, all you can do is scream "hate".

Wrong. Try reading my post again. I do what I can to respect property and people, but sometimes it is is not my top priority, but it is something I always consider.

Based on most of your other posts I've seen, I'm not surprised in the least that you would advocate for confronting police with a gun who happen to be in your yard or on your property looking for someone who had been running from them.

I said that? No, I said it is reasonable for the police to request homeowner permission before entering private property even if they are looking for someone. Your arrest record isn't nearly as important as the Constitution.

Wrong. Try reading my post again. I do what I can to respect property and people, but sometimes it is is not my top priority, but it is something I always consider.

Gee thanks, it's something you always consider. That makes it better. :rolleyes:

Obviously, you think catching a "bad guy" is more important than respecting the citizenry. And you wonder why people hate cops. When your procedural handbook explicitly states that people and property are to be respected over all else, then I'll have respect for your profession.

A persons life in trade for a dogs, do you people truly believe this is right? Yes I've already read all the posts and it is truly amazing to read how some of you feel.
I completely understand just how close someone can get to a dog, BUT FOR CHRISTS SAKE FOLKS, ITS A DOG!
I care not whether this was handled correctly by the dead officer or his chief, and I don't give a rip about how you feel that the shooter was wronged. If you have issues with LEO'S, perhaps you may want to address that, but to equate the life of a dog to a human??? This is insane.

Here everyone, take a look at this.

NJ Debates Harsher Punishment For K9 Killers - PoliceLink

NJ Debates Harsher Punishment For K9 Killers

"The Assembly is set to consider legislation this week that would mandate minimum five-year prison terms — with no chance of parole — for such offenders, who would also face fines of up to $15,000. The current maximum sentence they now face is just three to five years in prison."

Read the comments!!! Read the comments!!!

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top