JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started reloading with my Dad about 55 years ago on the kitchen table with a Lyman 310 tool. Then a year or two later we started casting with a Coleman stove, plumbers lead pot and a ladle made from an old spoon. We did it mostly because it was fun. I've gotten better equipment since then but its still fun.

Guns are like cars or computers. Most like them because they use them even though they dont REALLY understand how they work. They'd no more reload than do their own engine rebuild or write their own software. Not a criticism, just different interests or abilities.
Some people don't have the time or money. Most do but chose to spend it elsewhere. If you watch tv or smoke cigarettes for example you do, but just have different prioities. I understand all that.

As for too many gear intensive hobbies and a business. That be me. So I understand those issues too. Especially the "Jack of all trades master of none" effect. There are always limits. I just like being able to do a lot of different things at least reasonably well.

I like the versatility reloading offers. The quality control, the ability to feed odd calibers, the ability to make light or otherwise specialized loads etc. but it's not for everyone.

Way too many gear-intensive hobbies already. I shoot common brands of common calibers and buy a few extras when I see a good price. Over the decades, that's gotten me through those panicky times when shelves in stores are empty.
Thanks for pointing this aspect out brother!!!
This right here folks is why I do it. I was medically retired before my liking but have dealt with that and moved on. I don't really save that much money reloading but as others know full and well that we do shoot more often.

My former job was very labor intense and one had to be very technically inclined along with patience for sitting or standing in one spot "laying down pairs" for many hours at a time.

Reloading to me is basically the same thing, the precise process and 100% quality outcome is the goal, always. Picking brass, sorting it, prepping it and loading it is at times very relaxing and oh so rewarding.

I've been told many times that once you are retired, that you have to keep going and stay busy because if you don't your retirement will be short-lived.
:)

I don't reload because, first, the time it would take is for more valuable to me than the cost on ammo that I would save.

Second, I have a whole lot of technical stuff requiring measurements and precision in my life. It's necessary for my work as a plant breeder. Adding more of that in reloading would not be fun for me. I would rather spend the money on ammo and spend the time doing more plant breeding. Or more playing guitar.

It's also the case that I can get pretty much any sort of load I want, given access to mail-order and small and custom ammo manufacturers. That wouldn't be true if I had to depend just on over-the-counter ammo sales, however.

This thread:

Some guy: "I don't reload because reasons"

Some other guy: "Your reasons are wrong"

Your experience making reloading work in less than ideal circumstances is great, but you're missing the point. I think everyone knows they could find more hours in the day by cutting sleep or family time, or that a press can actually fit in their home by moving things around to create space. The point is that they're actively prioritizing other things in their life over reloading, and those are the things they value more highly than reloading. Your tales of reloading while you had 8 kids, 4 jobs, and lived out of a shoebox seem condescending in a thread specifically asking why they don't reload.

Because I only have access to a single stage press and it's still cheaper to buy 9mm at 30 cents a round and 5.56 NATO at 40 cents.
The single stage is fine for reloading odd ball cartridges or specialty loads tho.
I am currently looking at a progressive to get some target loads rollin'

Because I only have access to a single stage press and it's still cheaper to buy 9mm at 30 cents a round and 5.56 NATO at 40 cents.
You will still save loading on a single stage.
Component costs are the same regardless of what kind of press you load with.

You will still save loading on a single stage.
Component costs are the same regardless of what kind of press you load with.

Sure if your time is worth nothing. I believe most on here that do not reload just don't care about the cost benefit of reloading.

I'm not complaining about prices, as I'm stocked up and purchase regularly when available.

Been enjoying the shooting sport for years but I know myself.

I know reloading would take up all of my time and I would be tinkering with it constantly.

I have too many other hobbies that I want to spend time doing as well. Not to mention the things that the wife wants to do also.

I have no regrets currently, maybe when I get that retirement place I'll have time and space for reloading.

Temperament, the right personality, is very important!
I have mentored many people to reload. Some of them, I just stopped and told them it's probably better to just buy factory ammo. Not everyone has the right stuff to reload.
For example, overcharging a reload, and you'r firearm WILL explode.
Attention to detail, Patience, an engineering mindset, are just a few of the qualities required to hand load.
I, prefer to hit the x-mark, every time. So rifle hand loads are much more accurate than factory. But from what I see in the wood's at different shooting spots, are people that seem to enjoy not much more than the "Boom" of there firearm.

Also, It's not just the Hand Load to consider. Long range perfectionists have to have a knack for understanding internal, external, and terminal ballistics. Things like Rifle Twist. BC's, MV's, Sectional Density, Projectile weight, Ogive, Flat base & Non Flat Base, FMJ vs SP vs Wadcutter & Hollow Point. Lead vs Gliding Jacket, ETC.

I knew enough to buy equipment and start loading my own ammo a long time ago. but I don't reload for all of the calibers that I shoot.
Time has value, too, and I don't shoot as much as I used to. I loaded up a big batch of 30-06 a long time ago and have hunting ammo for years. Same with 45 ACP. When I run low on either, I'll crank out another large batch. I keep reloading components handy. 40 and 9mm are cheap enough for the amount we shoot them, but I wince when I buy a box of 44 Mag.

I have all of the equipment and within 30 minutes or so, I can be up and running.

Reloading equipment and the knowledge to use that equipment is very valuable.

Even for me it's not a time thing. I only sleep 3-5hrs a night. It's all about space and investment. The time I have to spare is invested in other activities anyway. I dont find myself ever staring at a wall thinking, "Man I wish I had something to do." I'm busy from 3-4am until midnight every day. All week. Other hobbies, research, chores, keeping in touch with people... and just relaxing once in a while. People say, "who wants to live forever?" I say, "Me! I got too much sh!t to do!"

I don't mean to be argumentive but I have reloaded in an Air Force dorm room, on a kitchen table with a 2X6 cut as as a press mount and on an old desk in a storage building at one time.

I think far too many see pics of long term reloaders with multiple presses and other equipment and think this is the way it has to be.

One can start out fairly simply and still produce good reloads cheaply and efficiently.
My wife would not have that.
I don't mean to be argumentive but I have reloaded in an Air Force dorm room, on a kitchen table with a 2X6 cut as as a press mount and on an old desk in a storage building at one time.

I think far too many see pics of long term reloaders with multiple presses and other equipment and think this is the way it has to be.

One can start out fairly simply and still produce good reloads cheaply and efficiently.
I guess I could give up some of my other hobbies to make room for it but, I'm not ready to do that yet.
I would hve to kick my wife out. I'm not ready to do that yet either. :D

I wonder, how many here that might take offense to comments from hand loaders, and/or feel that their time is more important than any savings that may be had by hand loading, also feel the same ways about cooking meals at home? Same kind of thing I think. I load, it's a peaceful past time, "Zen like even, and I get pleasure every time I pull out a box of my own, home rolled, ammo. I do the shopping/cooking in this house. I'm not much for going out to dinner, once every other week/ very seldom every week, and pre-prepared foods seriously lack goodness as far as the pallet goes. But we do eat the stuff from time to time.

I'm tend to be pretty darned frugal at times too. To a fault some might say even.:oops:

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Last Edited:
I think it's a fair comparison, though I have a little different perspective on it because I don't particularly care to cook. My wife is a good cook, but it's just not my thing, not even on the grill.

Back when I was single I'd have friends badger and make fun of me: "What! You have your own kitchen, all to yourself, and you don't cook?!" Even now, most everyone assumes that if you're a manly man you cook meat on the grill in the summertime. I don't. It's just not my thing. I'm sure I could if I wanted to, might even enjoy it, but I have enough hobbies for now, and my wife does a much better job anyhow.

I feel much the same about reloading. I'm heavily into reloading, myself, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Nobody should badger you into a hobby that you're not interested in.

If, on the other hand, you think you would be interested but just haven't yet because you think it's too complicated or expensive to get started, there are plenty of guys here who are glad to help. :)

I hadn't realized how easy it actually is. I thought it was thing big thing that involved waaay more than it actually does. I started reloading this year and probably reloaded thousands of rounds already. Would I have known how easy and much cheaper it is, I should have done this YEARS ago...

Actually now that I think about it, I started when I pucked up my new 357 Python. I wasn't gonna pay $20 or more for a box of 357 so I went on and reloaded. I started with 38spl and then tried 357. Now I reload 45ACP and 9mm too. Hopefully will ad a 500mag or a 50AE to it soon

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top