JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok - I read continual posts about ammo prices, shortages, 'I can't find this or that' etc.

SO - cut to the chase - why have those of you who complain about the shortages, prices etc. not gotten into reloading?

Are you new gun owners, shoot infrequently and are maybe only complaining because the 100 rounds or less you shoot a year is not enough?

One gun purchase sacrifice could start you into reloading - if shooting is really a priority and something you do frequently.

You tell me - I got into reloading as a teen and never gave up on it - but then I shoot frequently as a hobby and sport.

Last Edited:
I think a lot of people weren't into guns or shooting at least as much the last time there was a run on guns and ammo.

Possibly a lot of unknowns to someone who's never been exposed to it as well.

I don't complain about ammo prices.

Bought some bulk 9mm range ammo last week.

I think re-loading is great, if you're interested...I'm not.

How'm I doin so far?

Time is my issue. Work, family, home projects, working on a degree, helping friends with x, y, or z, or helping my parents doesn't leave much time.

I have most of the stuff I need to reload. I just picked up a .44 special pistol, and I've had all the stuff to reload for it now for years. We'll see how it goes.

I really don't have a good place at my home to set everything up.
I don't mean to be argumentive but I have reloaded in an Air Force dorm room, on a kitchen table with a 2X6 cut as as a press mount and on an old desk in a storage building at one time.

I think far too many see pics of long term reloaders with multiple presses and other equipment and think this is the way it has to be.

One can start out fairly simply and still produce good reloads cheaply and efficiently.

I don't complain about ammo prices. I doubt I ever have, though it happened, it was so long ago, I forgot. I don't keep track of round count per year, but it is a good amount. Two adults in our household contribute to the figure.

Why do I not reload?

1. Zero interest in said. My interests in firearms, as with many other things, are fluid and eclectic, but this field has never held any fascination. Not knocking it in the slightest and I know it is great for a lot of folks. Just not for me.
  2. Time. I work long hours, workout a lot, and have a family, a house and acreage, a side business, and an extended family that is tightly knit. I barely have time to shoot and read on the topic as it is. With factory ammo, I give them money, they give me cartridges, and done. It is even easier with online ordering.
Maybe in the future when this settles down I could see relooking at it. Or not.

To each their own.

Time is my issue. Work, family, home projects, working on a degree, helping friends with x, y, or z, or helping my parents doesn't leave much time.

I have most of the stuff I need to reload. I just picked up a .44 special pistol, and I've had all the stuff to reload for it now for years. We'll see how it goes.

I started reloading while in graduate school because I couldn't afford to shoot four boxes of commercial ammo once per week. Even with something rigorous, a person can usually find 2-3 hours per week, often at the expense of watching TV, but had I spent that several hours per week 25 years ago watching the local news, today I would not remember a bit of what I saw -- I do remember how to load .38s though (the cartridge I started with). Reloading is a good investment in many ways.

Ok - I read continual posts about ammo prices, shortages, 'I can't find this or that' etc.

SO - cut to the chase - why have those of you who complain about the shortages, prices etc. not gotten into reloading?

Are you new gun owners, shoot infrequently and are maybe only complaining because the 100 rounds or less you shoot a year is not enough?

One gun purchase sacrifice could start you into reloading - if shooting is really a priority and something you do frequently.

You tell me - I got into reloading as a teen and never gave up on it - but then I have always shot frequently as a hobby and sport.
Because playing call a duty 80 hours a week makes me a ninja warrior cubed to the 12th power.
Shooting guns is for poser wannabe losers.

I don't mean to be argumentive but I have reloaded in an Air Force dorm room, on a kitchen table with a 2X6 cut as as a press mount and on an old desk in a storage building at one time.

I think far too many see pics of long term reloaders with multiple presses and other equipment and think this is the way it has to be.

One can start out fairly simply and still produce good reloads cheaply and efficiently.

Totally correct. People get hung up on the biggest or the best or whatever, and social media fakiness exacerbates that (I posted a video of a reloading tool last night, but before I did that I vacuumed around my drill press and made that part of the bench look nice -- on a small scale this is like those people who present a picture perfect view of life that just ain't based in fact -- I don't think I vacuumed around that press in the last 2 years).

A person doesn't need all the fancy schmancy -- most of it just makes reloading more complicated and is devoted to getting the last 2 or 3% out a handload. A handload that's 97% good, is probaly twice as good as commercial ammo.

My first reloading table was a 2'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood to which I attached folding legs. It wasn't rock solid by any stretch of the imagination, but what happened in the press was static from a relativistic perspective and when I was done, I could fold it up. I made a lot of ammo that way all through grad school.

While I have reloaded in the past it was never to save money. Accurate loads was the goal. I work way to much and prefer my spare time spent doing other things I enjoy more then reloading.

All you guys biatching about the lack of time...there's a solution to that...

1595214503366.png

Totally correct. People get hung up on the biggest or the best or whatever, and social media fakiness exacerbates that (I posted a video of a reloading tool last night, but before I did that I vacuumed around my drill press and made that part of the bench look nice -- on a small scale this is like those people who present a picture perfect view of life that just ain't based in fact -- I don't think I vacuumed around that press in the last 2 years).

A person doesn't need all the fancy schmancy -- most of it just makes reloading more complicated and is devoted to getting the last 2 or 3% out a handload. A handload that's 97% good, is probaly twice as good as commercial ammo.

My first reloading table was a 2'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood to which I attached folding legs. It wasn't rock solid by any stretch of the imagination, but what happened in the press was static from a relativistic perspective and when I was done, I could fold it up. I made a lot of ammo that way all through grad school.
I think a whole lotta people buy a gun and one box of ammunition.. and every single gewgaw that can be got for that gat, "improving" it with each new iteration of said artifacts on a continuing basis over the course of time, never shooting more than 100 rounds a year.
Before I got my first gun at 16, a Hi-Power, I bought a bullet mold, a Lee Loader and fixins.

While I have reloaded in the past it was never to save money. Accurate loads was the goal. I work way to much and prefer my spare time spent doing other things I enjoy more then reloading.

I got into it because as a student, I couldn't afford $40/wk on ammo, but I could afford $10 or $15 -- back then, $25 meant a lot to me. It was later I got into the accuracy part, but back in the day, a 50rd box of .38s cost $10 in the store, and I could put them together for about $6/100 with hardcast lead bullets and only slightly more cost for .45s. Without the cost benefit, I couldn't have barely gone shooting.

I got out of it a long time ago, was in pretty deep, casting my own bullets exc.but getting back into it piece by piece.
Reloading was my favorite hobby, spending many hours, mainly at night prepping brass, and so on.i found it a very relaxing and rewarding thing to do.

I'm 51 years old and I've only been reloading for maybe ten years. Before that, I was married with two kids and had a couple of hunting rifles, a couple of shotguns, one AR, and one defensive pistol.

Then, my dad gave me an Uberti Winchester 1885 high wall in .45-70 govt. and wanted me to compete in BPCR matches with him. He supplied a couple of boxes of his custom black powder loads for the first couple of matches, then gave me all the components I needed to roll my own, including a Lee hand press. It took me hours to create the 60 rounds needed for a match. But they came out perfect and accurate.

But I was still married then and only loaded for that one rifle. I rarely shot my pistol, and made enough money that buying ammo was no big deal.

Then I got divorced and moved North to where I grew up. I bought a Ruger SBH Bisley in .45 Colt and was interested in hard cast bear loads. Got a bit of sticker shock at the price. Then I bought a Glock G29 10mm, used it in GSSF matches, and decided that I needed to get more serious with reloading. Bought a Lee single-stage press and went to town. Now I cast my own bullets and load for 8 different calibers.

Prior to my dad giving me all that stuff for the .45-70, I would never had considered getting into it. Big investment up front, lots of time researching how to do it, fear of blowing up a gun, and just so much easier to buy perfectly adequate, if not mediocre, ammo off the shelf.

Now I am immensely thankful that I reload and find it to be very comforting in times like these.

I don't have the time, patience, interest or room to reload. I also wouldn't waste my time/energy reloading 9mm so the only thing I would maybe do is centerfire rifle. But I really don't shoot enough of it (5.56 notwithstanding) to justify it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top