JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's pretty neat. I recently bought a mossy 500 combo, which has 2 barrels (18.5 and 28) and a pistol grip in addition to the regular stock. Haven't tried the pistol grip yet (or the 18.5 barrel for that matter) but I love the versatility I got with this purchase!

Can't beat the combo Mossy! I have one and way back, I bought one for my kid to start him out in waterfowl hunting! Those guns are still functioning perfectly! :)

I took an old farm gun and cut it down myself. This way did not change the characteristics of a good shotgun. Just a fun thing to shoot, from the hip mostly. View attachment 359156

That's cool, not a fan of the pistol grips. Can't butt stroke the bad doer with them!:)
This is my waterfowling gun converted to HD.
IMG_0191.JPG

This is my mom's riot gun, another old duck gun that got chopped, she kept it by her bed until she was 87yrs!
IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0444.JPG

Pistol grip shotguns are very difficult to control....at least the ones without a butstock. As cool as you think they might look, it would be the modification of last resort and only if space was critical.....like in a tank....the myth of shotgun spread is also too prevalent in modern culture, at common hall distances In a home....your pattern will seldom be over 6" if that....you still need the accuracy. Many if not most police departments have gone away from them as well for the same reason.

Pistol grip shotguns are very difficult to control....at least the ones without a butstock. As cool as you think they might look, it would be the modification of last resort and only if space was critical.....like in a tank....the myth of shotgun spread is also too prevalent in modern culture, at common hall distances In a home....your pattern will seldom be over 6" if that....you still need the accuracy. Many if not most police departments have gone away from them as well for the same reason.

I agree, as we age the shock of a 12 gauge on the wrist & fingers can be very uncomfortable. That being said if one was in a SHTF situation I doubt the operator of said hand destructor would not care nor feel the recoil...;)

DSC06557.jpg
Shotguns for home defense can come in many flavors... With or without stocks , sights or other extras.
But not many can also double as a fire starter , like my "newest" , new to me shotgun. :D

Just kidding ...
I feel that for me a shotgun needs a stock if I want to hit anything.
If you can hit your target with a pistol grip only shotgun ... then go for it.
Its your house and your life , use what you shoot best with.
Andy

Ya, my shorty is not for HD, its just for fun, boys day out. It really is easy to hold on to and shoot 5 shells from the hip as fast as you can.........has a pretty good spread at 25-30 feet cuz there is no choke.......

What year is your Mossberg? I ask because both the Pachmayr Vindicator and Hogue Overmolded pistol grips fit my 500, but the matching fore-end pump parts in their kits did not (right at first). They would have if my 500 was older.

I called around and found innards (metal pump/slider legs) from an older 500, and now everything fits. Can't tell you what year Mossberg started selling their 28 & 18" combo kits with the cheaper Maverick fore-end innards, mine included. I think it was about 8-10 years ago, and I'll come back to edit with the date if I stumble over that info at home. It was a bit of a bummer for me until I found the retro 500 slider legs for $25.

All better now and worth it to me. I like the soft, rubbery feel of the Hogue kit. Very comfortable to shoot - far more so than those little hard plastic pistol grips I've tried on other people's 12 gauges. Especially with heavy buckshot and slugs.

View attachment 358918

Later edit. The Nothing found and posted this YT vid in another thread. 8-10 years ago, this would've saved me a LOT of research and pointed me to the answer a lot sooner than I found it.

Anyway, this pertains to Mossberg 500s, Mavericks, and those who want to upgrade the fore end along with a pistol grip.

I agree, as we age the shock of a 12 gauge on the wrist & fingers can be very uncomfortable.
As mentioned, 12g is pretty sharp in recoil, esp. 3" rounds!, that is why I prefer my 20g w/3" shells w/#2 buck (18 pellets 6.8mm/.27caliber at once should do a pretty decent job). Not sure why control is an issue, I have no problem with control and hitting the target holding it chest high and not using any body, just arms. We are all different though, and what works well for one, may not be a reasonable choice for another. I don't have a lot of upper body, but my arms and wrists do fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top