JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, I quickly scrolled through the feed but did not see anything about it.

My question is regarding the legality of switching out a from the factory mossberg 500 shoulder stock with an after market hogue pistol grip. Does this transform a 18 barreled shotgun into a "pistol"? I have always thought the self defense shotguns looked neat and was toying with the idea of purchasing a pistol grip. Thanks!

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, I quickly scrolled through the feed but did not see anything about it.

My question is regarding the legality of switching out a from the factory mossberg 500 shoulder stock with an after market hogue pistol grip. Does this transform a 18 barreled shotgun into a "pistol"? I have always thought the self defense shotguns looked neat and was toying with the idea of purchasing a pistol grip. Thanks!

No, you're good to go as long as the barrel is no shorter than 18", and the overall length of the gun is no less than 26".

BTW- with few exceptions, a proper self-defense shotgun uses a buttstock. Fire off several rounds rapidly and see how your wrist feels afterwards, plus getting the weapon stripped out of your grip is reduced with a buttstock.... just sayin'.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the reply. I also appreciate the advise, I wanted to clarify it wasn't like buying an AR pistol upper for a rifle lower kind of situation. Between the recoil and safety on top of the receiver, maybe I'll rethink the impulse buy.

Thanks for the reply. I also appreciate the advise, I wanted to clarify it wasn't like buying an AR pistol upper for a rifle lower kind of situation. Between the recoil and safety on top of the receiver, maybe I'll rethink the impulse buy.
A pistol grip shotgun is something anyone thinking should try first. There are some who have one and love them. There are a lot more who buy one, shoot it, and it ends up in the safe or for sale. If you can find on to rent or try far better than buy it. You may well actually like it. A lot of people who buy one though soon wish they had not.

I converted my mossberg 500 with a tactical kit. cost me $100 and about 10 min. It now works great for home defense.

+1. I have a pistol grip for my Mossberg 500 that I tried first. Man, if you've ever shot buckshot or slugs, they are Express loads, you know what nasty recoil they have on your shoulder... my arthritic wrist and hands just wouldn't take it with the pistol grip.

I already had the 18" barrel and the 7 shot tube on mine. I added a light, a laser, a side carrier, and went down to Wally world and purchased an AR type adjustable buttstock and grip that has recoil reduction in it. I love it!!!

+1. I have a pistol grip for my Mossberg 500 that I tried first. Man, if you've ever shot buckshot or slugs, they are Express loads, you know what nasty recoil they have on your shoulder... my arthritic wrist and hands just wouldn't take it with the pistol grip.

I already had the 18" barrel and the 7 shot tube on mine. I added a light, a laser, a side carrier, and went down to Wally world and purchased an AR type adjustable buttstock and grip that has recoil reduction in it. I love it!!!

My tactical kit that I bought actually came with a but stock so it was perfect. :)

What year is your Mossberg? I ask because both the Pachmayr Vindicator and Hogue Overmolded pistol grips fit my 500, but the matching fore-end pump parts in their kits did not (right at first). They would have if my 500 was older.

I called around and found innards (metal pump/slider legs) from an older 500, and now everything fits. Can't tell you what year Mossberg started selling their 28 & 18" combo kits with the cheaper Maverick fore-end innards, mine included. I think it was about 8-10 years ago, and I'll come back to edit with the date if I stumble over that info at home. It was a bit of a bummer for me until I found the retro 500 slider legs for $25.

All better now and worth it to me. I like the soft, rubbery feel of the Hogue kit. Very comfortable to shoot - far more so than those little hard plastic pistol grips I've tried on other people's 12 gauges. Especially with heavy buckshot and slugs.

28-18.JPG

I never have shot a pistol grip shotgun and I will not try either. I have full stock shotguns only. The only change I did was for my Maverick 88 I put a Hogue over molded 12" L.O.P. on instead. I regret doing it since I have to be careful shooting it since doing a cheek weld it hits me in the face a bit due to the reduced stock length. My choice is to rest it on my shoulder and don't cheek weld it. My other shotguns have the original Mossberg buttstock on them so there is no issue. I would put my old stock back on but I have a colleague with a breacher barrel and only a pistol grip so I gave it to him in case he wants a full stock instead. I don't shoot it much and keep it in a gun sock. I do take it to the range ever so often but not so much anymore. It was my first shotgun so I experimented with different lights, slings, and side saddles.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top