JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
johnbailey1964 started a thread about horseback riding and I got involved in a bit of a high jack talking about pack animals, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Goal: what suggestions do you have for pack animal rentals for the DIY hunter? Also include outfitters who are willing to service DIY hunters with services such as packing out a harvested animal, possibly drop camps, if you like. Please provide links and info on region serviced.

I suggest llamas. They carry about 80 lbs. each (100 in a pinch), and you've got to rent a minimum of 2 (they're social, and don't consider hanging out with you to count). They're easy for a novice to handle on their own. They're rugged and agile, able to go wherever you can. And you don't need to pack feed; they simply graze. My suggestion for OR/ID is Thunder Creek Llamas. THUNDER CREEK LLAMAS

There are other renters. I would suggest looking for outfits who put serious pack miles on their animals, not amateurs who want to supplement their llama habit. If you're going to the Sierras in CA, the llama renter who all others are judged by is Potato Ranch Llamas in Sonora (Greg Harford).

Argonaut's comments suggest that burros are superior to llamas (see his comments on the prior thread). He's looking into possible rental outfits and/or outfitters.

Other suggestions/recommendations along with region serviced are appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top