JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Camouflage Would You Choose for the PNW?

• MARPAT

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • OCP

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • TIGERSTRIPE

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • WOODLAND

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • REALTREE

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • CAMO?? I Don't need no stinkin Camo

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Solid Colors. Like Khaki or Olive Drab

Votes: 14 14.9%

• Total voters
Not into Camo for normal big game hunting, but for water fowling, it's 2nd gen Mossy Oak DuckBlind for this guy! I found a really slick version of it and bought up all I could, then tumble washed it with a bucket of tennis balls to fade it down some and blend it better! Added some spray paint in strategic areas it it's perfect! Washed it in Nic Wax a few times, and it's good to go! For Mil Camo, Digital Winter Forest was always my favorite, seamed to blend in the most places with out too much work! I also liked the "Service Green" we had prior to going digital, and later while every one was switching to the newest tan/brown camo ATAC, we did solid "Service Tan" which I absolutely love! :D

If I'm out in the woods hunting I usually wear an old pair of BDU pants in multicam but they are faded and too light for wear I go. I wear a realtree jacket.
But I think it's your smell and movement more than anything.

Deer are hard as heck to see and they are just brown.

I think Andy was spot on with some carharts, maybe rub a little dirt on them for some break up.

problem is in the PNW it rains a ton during hunting season so you need waterproof clothes. And it's tough to find decent waterproof gear that isn't stupid expensive

and most companies "water resistant" garbage doesn't stay dry 5mins into the brush on a wet day.

the terrain out here is so dramatically different depending on what area your in. You may need to switch it up

If I'm out in the woods hunting I usually wear an old pair of BDU pants in multicam but they are faded and too light for wear I go. I wear a realtree jacket.
But I think it's your smell and movement more than anything.

Deer are hard as heck to see and they are just brown.

I think Andy was spot on with some carharts, maybe rub a little dirt on them for some break up.

problem is in the PNW it rains a ton during hunting season so you need waterproof clothes. And it's tough to find decent waterproof gear that isn't stupid expensive

and most companies "water resistant" garbage doesn't stay dry 5mins into the brush on a wet day.

the terrain out here is so dramatically different depending on what area your in. You may need to switch it up

If we are talking about material, Carhart is for the shop, not serious outdoor use. "Cotton kills" is a well known expression because once wet, it pulls heat away from the wearer. Wool is king, followed by synthetics.

If we are talking about material, Carhart is for the shop, not serious outdoor use. "Cotton kills" is a well known expression because once wet, it pulls heat away from the wearer. Wool is king, followed by synthetics.
But cotton is awesome for the hot and dry climates as found in high deserts and similar areas... however yes for humid areas or areas that get wet on a regular basis; wool and synthetics are excellent.

But cotton is awesome for the hot and dry climates as found in high deserts and similar areas... however yes for humid areas or areas that get wet on a regular basis; wool and synthetics are excellent.

We are allowed to wear cotton in SAR May through Sept, although wool is recommended all the time. You can get real nice light weight merino wool or synthetic wool. I use Kuhl synthetic waterproof pants all year and add a base layer in the winter.

I am mostly a khaki or coyote colored clothing type of bloke but when I do throw on camouflage it has been ASAT for many decades. Especially for speed goats or when I have had a wild hair with a rifle that loads from the front and uses the holy black for propellant.

Photo from the 1980's. Andy will probably know by looking what type of rifle.

Deer Muzzle ASAT3.jpg

Ive always liked the good ol woodland camo. For big game hunting I just buy the best brand I can find on sale, its just important to break up your solid silhouette.
What I understand is the best camo pattern breaks up your silhouette at different distances, so larger patterns for larger distances, with smaller patterns of similar colors inside the larger patters... something like that.

Lighting conditions also key theres a long series of videos by Brent0331 I think; on camo effectiveness on Youtube. One thing I noticed is that when light is behind, and the wearer is hunched over or leaning forward, bam, very dark, very unnatural shadow human shaped blob.

For elk hunting, Woolrich has seen me thru many years, Pendleton much sturdier but not as flexible.

s-l1600.jpg

I have these for work wear, but for elk hunting, I thought they looked too much the color of an elk's butt... don' need that kind of attention!!!

758_BD_FR.jpg
104050BRN?$pdp-primary-image-static$.jpg
30826401222_418a12fa89_b.jpg

We would just need to get you a hat with antlers on it and you would be set ... lol.

I could just adapt my Jackalope mount to wear on my dome!! :D ... But we know those Westsiders will shoot anything with horns, deer, elk, cows, goats, even horse's ears look like horns... and they're all in season right... right???

Last Edited:
I could just adapt my Jackalope mount to wear on my dome!! :D

Thinking about it we would not have to worry about the antlers. Would just need to hit you up with a good dose of wapiti estrus. I imagine it would be a life changing event for you buddy having an up close and personal experience with a herd bull. Andy and I would be right there for you brother, camera's in hand and laughing our tails off. Unless of course it were a big ole B&C bull, then we would just laugh our asses off and roll around on the ground.

Those would be much better choices for the woods in elk season!!!
Yep..that's the colors I wear then,.

For those that wonder 'bout cotton and rain / getting and staying cold / wet...
Get a tin of wax for the "water proofing" of canvas tents and the like....
Heat it up and rub into your jacket or pants....
Works well....
Admittedly not as water proof as "GoreTex" and not as warm when wet as wool....but as I said it does work well.
Andy

Thinking about it we would not have to worry about the antlers. Would just need to hit you up with a good dose of wapiti estrus. I imagine it would be a life changing event for you buddy having an up close and personal experience with a herd bull. Andy and I would be right there for you brother, camera's in hand and laughing our tails off. Unless of course it were a big ole B&C bull, then we would just laugh our asses off and roll around on the ground.

I'd be much more afraid of the Westsiders doin that to me.... we here know how they get all excited and lose control when they see elk color!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top