JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Camouflage Would You Choose for the PNW?

• MARPAT

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • OCP

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • TIGERSTRIPE

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • WOODLAND

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • REALTREE

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • CAMO?? I Don't need no stinkin Camo

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Solid Colors. Like Khaki or Olive Drab

Votes: 14 14.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole on the history of camouflage and it got me thinking: what would ya'll choose for a camo in the PNW?

I've provided a few options but if you have a left field suggestion let's hear it.

This can be for anything from bugging out to hunting.

What one pattern would you choose for the diverse landscape of the Northwest, everywhere from the coastal forests, to the mid-valleys and out past the high deserts.

USMC MARPAT
Marpat.jpg

ARMY/AIR FORCE OCP
ocp.jpg

Tigerstripe!
Tigerstripe.jpg

Woodland

woodland.png

Realtree

realtree.jpg

May I suggest A-Tacs FG? I haven't tested it in the actual forests yet but initial thoughts are that its pretty effective. In my experience in woodland paintball in the PNW; solids might be a better choice for clothing... especially if you're mobile. Earth tones dominate these PNW woodlands, especially the ground and the trunks of large trees :rolleyes:

dscf1977.jpg dscf1978.jpg dscf1979.jpg

A halfway decent choice would be the old style Trebark camo... 43ABF6BB67CE4961857BE58A27BADC00.jpg

the USMC Marpat may work but so does M81 woodland and the Propper brand's Tigerstripe, which is darker than the Vietnam era TS.

Mossy Oak Original Bottomland might be easier to source than Trebark. I have a large lumbar pack in this camo that I made myself a few years ago
bottomland-hotspots.jpg

received_572503219953444.jpeg
3 color DCU, 500D Coyote Brown, tan 499 buckle, Coyote tan 2" strap, USMC Coyote brown 1" strap

received_746383582464035.jpeg
Korean Crayola woodland scrap, Tactical tailor 2 mag pistol pouch, camo green 2 and 1 inch webbing, tactical tailor green scrap, usgi acrylic gloves, camelbak woodland and green carrier on top of Foliage Green fabric(top) and Ranger Green fabric (bottom)

Gonna go with @CamoDeafie ..... some sort of ATAC style.....but if I have to.....a greener or tanner version of OCP.....depending terrain
Multicam Arid and Tropic, reminds me of the other two camo used by the Navy
2017-Multicam-Camouflage-Multicam-Arid-Frog-Suits-MCA-Trainning-G3-Uniforms-include-one-1-4-zip.jpg TRUSPEC.jpg

USN AOR1 (basically Desert Marpat minus the eagle globe anchor mini print) and AOR2 (basically the tropical green version) 666dfe337be8f44223b8a2fa7a3c39ff.jpg NWU_Type_III_camouflage_pattern_swatch,_AOR_2.jpg

The two versions could easily work with either coyote brown/tan/khaki gear and all the shades of olive to ranger green gear :rolleyes:

Back in my Army days I did a HELL of a lot of snoopin' and poopin' wearing woodland. One time I actually had a guy literally trip over me because he didn't see me while walking through the brush.... so I picked that. After that I'd do the OCP (the government ripoff of multi-cam).

;)

Earth tones...like with an old green , brown , dark tan , grey , etc.. flannel shirt and "Carhartt" type of pants* work well for me when hunting.
* In dark brown , grey , green...not the classic Elk Butt Tan....:eek: :D

Black or other really dark colors can "blob" and make for one large dark silhouette...which is something that you don't want.

The material used needs to non reflective....not a whole lot of shiny things in nature.

To be really effective the camo needs to break up the "hard" outlines of the object that needs to be hidden or blended in....
A "ghillie suit" does this well....but they are a PITA to move around in.

Movement and noise are you worst enemies ....scent can at times be troublesome too....
When I was in the Army...when out in the field , I could after a few days , tell a smoker from several yards off at times.
Andy

I read that deer actually see camo as a blur of one color and that blue stands out to them like a neon.:s0092: I still have tons of camo, its just fun to buy.:D Optifade , Verde 2.0, subalpine are a few I use. I have some Fishouflage in walleye that's interesting. Just a plain old brown Carrhart jacket is one of my favorite coats. Sitka subalpine is a fantastick camo for lower hunting, in my opinion. It all gets a heavy dose of orange in the end.:D

Be sure to cover your face and hands.with camo paint...cover or take off your watch....

I understand that the models in some of the pictures here , are just modeling the outfits...
But...the face and hands sure seem to stick out.

Also a slight fade to the material may be helpful....bold darker colors can stand out and not blend as well as a "softer" faded pattern or color.
Andy

I read that deer actually see camo as a blur of one color and that blue stands out to them like a neon.:s0092: I still have tons of camo, its just fun to buy.:D Optifade , Verde 2.0, subalpine are a few I use. I have some Fishouflage in walleye that's interesting. Just a plain old brown Carrhart jacket is one of my favorite coats. Sitka subalpine is a fantastick camo for lower hunting, in my opinion. It all gets a heavy dose of orange in the end.:D

Deer are color blind, so camo orange (which I wear for deer/elk hunting) will work just as well as cool-guy GI Joe issued camo to break up your outline, while making you hi-vis to the two legged morons out there with guns. I have learned that >95% of the time the animals see/smell/hear you WAY before you even know they're there, and all the fancy camo is just another fashion show for us adults. :rolleyes:

Now water fowl hunting is different... THOSE little bastiges can SEE, and I'm all about subduing my clothing and kit!

Be sure to cover your face and hands.with camo paint...cover or take off your watch....

I understand that the models in some of the pictures here , are just modeling the outfits...
But...the face and hands sure seem to stick out.

Also a slight fade to the material may be helpful....bold darker colors can stand out and not blend as well as a "softer" faded pattern or color.
Andy

While I was in the "E-4 mafia", we used to love wearing our faded BDU's (until we were told to replace them, LOL) because it made the shiny privits look like total newbs... :rolleyes::s0140:

I do wear camo most of the time because it's the gear that I've purchased to deal with the weather conditions encountered during my favorite hunting seasons.

That said, I believe darker, drab colors hide a person to the human eye when in the forest.

And then, I really believe movement and odor are the biggest concerns when hunting, because I wasn't hard to see on this day.:D
First deer.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads