JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for opinions (everyone has one right...?) from members of the community. I'm trying to decide which pistol to purchase next. I'll provide some background first.

I...
- have owned Glocks for the past decade with a history of nearly 100% reliability (a few light primer strikes and I'll occasionally catch the slide stop).
- carry a lightly modified G43 IWB on the weekends; my jobs (I have two) prevent me from carrying M-F (federal building and college campus; dumb I know), so my pistol spends most of its week in a pack locked in the trunk of my car, then gets transferred to my closet at night (have kids so keep it up high).
- don't shoot Glocks as well as I'd like; the trigger and ergonomics are difficult sometimes.
- found that I'm faster and ~30% more accurate with my G43 (9mm sub) than my G23 (.40 mid).
- found my wife shoots my ('our') G43 better as well.
- recently sold my G23, along with .40 ammo and have been saving mad money for a replacement.
- am on a tight budget, so I only shoot about 50-100 rounds per month at the range.

Here's what I'm looking for...
1. Full-size 9mm with a great trigger, night sights, 3 mags (15+ rounds each), proven reliability, rail (I like lights), user-friendly maintenance and upgradeable (I like to tinker a bit).
2. Improved accuracy; I currently only train at self defense distances (2-4" groups at 5-10 yards) but would like to be effective at 25+ yards (for fun and have an interested in trying competitive shooting someday).
4. Quality; reliability is important but I want something with pride of ownership. I've always owned cost-effective firearms ($400-700 range). Nothing inherently wrong with that, there's just no special 'sauce'. That said, guns are tools not toys (for my budget at least).

So, it's come down to a P320 full-size or a P226 Legion. I see these as a lifted Jeep Wrangler (P320) vs. a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee (P226 Legion). The choice is coming down to...

- P320 + GGI PELT trigger + night sights + spare mag = $775
-- tough, accurate, 4.7" barrel, moderate weight, upgradeable, $425 left over cash to start on a hunting rifle build

- P226 Legion SAO = $1,200
-- accurate, 4.4" barrel, heavy weight, PVD finish has me a little worried, ALL of my budget

A LGS has a P320 I can rent, which I plan to do, but there's no way for me to shoot a Legion prior to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

My $0.02
Try shooting a CZ and if you can get your hands on a Shadow...you will then know everything you need to know :)

I have owned a 226Navy and a 320. Kept the 320 :) I prefer the trigger of the striker fired 320. Both are extremely reliable and accurate but for me the 320 fits my hand better and I like the trigger.

Thank you everyone. I went by my LGS today only to find out they had no 9mm P320 or CZ in their rental case (thought they had both). They did have a DA/SA P226 Navy but I didn't think it was worth $60 (range fee, rental fee, their ammo, +tax) to shoot just one, especially considering I'm not looking for a DA/SA (carry gun or something my wife would have to devote too much range time for proficiency).

The sales counter guy told me they have three Sig X-fives on order (elusive competition guns introduced at the Shot Show). For ~$300 less than a Legion, my interest was peaked, but that was followed by my FFL buddy's email letting me know he found a P320 full size for $465+tax; I'm leaning toward that option. I can likely put a few hundred rounds through it, see if my wife likes it also, and only lose a little $$ if I decide I don't like it. With about one range day per month, my time is best spent with my defensive and SHTF arms; no business (realistically) with safe queen range-only pieces. If I like it, the growing aftermarket support for the P320 should keep the possibility of a future competition pistol open.

If only Sig still offered a non-Legion and non-RX P226 SAO...

I think the P320 X5 is more of an apples to apples comparison with the Legion. And between those two I'd take the P320 X5. If I did go with the Legion, I would probably opt for the SAO version.

I think the P320 X5 is more of an apples to apples comparison with the Legion. And between those two I'd take the P320 X5. If I did go with the Legion, I would probably opt for the SAO version.
Wait for the X5? But how long will it take...? I agree; it's more apples-to-apples to a Legion. I wasn't considering a fair comparison, but rather a practical decision with one being >2x more expensive than the other.

The X5 does seem like an awesome range/comp gun for <$1k, but is it tuned too soft for a pack/truck/HD piece? I wonder how it'd handle a heavy light on that rail? (Speaking from a previous G23 owner that had issues with frame flex while running a light.)

In your case I'd say get the 320. Do you need a $1200 tool to do what a $600 dollar tool a do ? And you like the Stryker fired setup.

To be honest I don't get why people lighten the trigger on a no safety firearm. I would learn to shoot the 5lb trigger and call it a day. I wouldn't want my wife around a hare trigger under stress.

I prefer the da\ sa triggers on the p226 w srt and sp2022 and cz p09. And the wife shoots them well. I don't want to join the Glock leg club. But that's just me.

Wait for the X5? But how long will it take...? I agree; it's more apples-to-apples to a Legion. I wasn't considering a fair comparison, but rather a practical decision with one being >2x more expensive than the other.

The X5 does seem like an awesome range/comp gun for <$1k, but is it tuned too soft for a pack/truck/HD piece? I wonder how it'd handle a heavy light on that rail? (Speaking from a previous G23 owner that had issues with frame flex while running a light.)

Well now you're asking me questions that I just don't have the answers to (release date). Word is that they should be out very soon but you know how these things sometimes go. You realize there are a couple versions of this gun?? There's the Sig P320 X5 and then there's the P320 X Carry...and then there's also something called the X V-Tac but I'm still trying to figure out what that one is.

Anyway, the P320 X5 really seems geared toward the competition crowd which isn't to saying it wouldn't make an awesome carry gun if you were inclined to carry a full size, 5 inch gun. But this gun seems like a hell of a value to me for everything you get for right around $1000. Enough value that I'd be inclined to wait two or three months to see if it hits the market. But that's me. YMMV.

The P320 XCarry, as the name implies, seems to be more geared to carrying. It appears to be a shorter 4 inch (give or take) gun but still with several of the features in the larger x5. I obviously haven't touched or fired either of these guns but given that they are X5's, I would expect them to run like a champ whether in competition or in a tuck/pack/HD role. Sig's customer service is usually pretty decent too in the event there is a problem.

I keep coming back to the spec list...
  • Trigger guard undercut
  • Higher backstrap
  • Extended beavertail
  • Removable grip weight
  • Removable Magwell
  • Extended slide catch
  • Bull barrel
  • Lightning cuts on the slide
  • Dawson sights/fiber front/fully adjustable rear
  • 4 21 rd mags
  • X5 straight trigger
  • Slide cut for an optic
$1000 seems VERY reasonable to me.

I have never picked up a Glock, M&P, or any plastic gun/striker fired gun and thought, "wow, what pride I have in this sloppy and mushy triggered gun!"

I love well made guns, but I also recognize them as tools. I run Glocks and M&Ps as well as anything and I can buy 2 for every standard no-frills Sig P220/226/229.

Took home a P320 full size yesterday. They'll still be room in my safe for a P226 someday, but I'm optimistic about this one's purpose.

Things I immediately appreciated:
- great price (thank you Billy; Clark County Transfers)
- good serial number (I wasn't able to pick it like I have in the past)
- metal sights (standard contrast for now, but at least high-quality)
- came with a decent-looking OWB holster (I knew that)
- included a sticker (I love stickers)

IMG_4170.JPG

Things that surprised me:
- frame (grip module) did NOT include the 'FULL MEDIUM' panel on the right front of the dust cover (I hated that); it's been replaced by a simple little 'M' on the backstrap (my gun was born April 24, 2017)

IMG_4175.JPG

- the guide rod is metal - I expected to upgrade this from poly - but now I don't have to!

IMG_4174.JPG

- the two 17-round mags included were made in the USA, while the spare mag I bought separately was made in Italy; there are cosmetic differences but I'm not sure of any functional differences

IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG

Now I just need to get out to the range this weekend; likely first thing tomorrow morning!

Well now you're asking me questions that I just don't have the answers to (release date). Word is that they should be out very soon but you know how these things sometimes go. You realize there are a couple versions of this gun?? There's the Sig P320 X5 and then there's the P320 X Carry...and then there's also something called the X V-Tac but I'm still trying to figure out what that one is.

Anyway, the P320 X5 really seems geared toward the competition crowd which isn't to saying it wouldn't make an awesome carry gun if you were inclined to carry a full size, 5 inch gun. But this gun seems like a hell of a value to me for everything you get for right around $1000. Enough value that I'd be inclined to wait two or three months to see if it hits the market. But that's me. YMMV.

The P320 XCarry, as the name implies, seems to be more geared to carrying. It appears to be a shorter 4 inch (give or take) gun but still with several of the features in the larger x5. I obviously haven't touched or fired either of these guns but given that they are X5's, I would expect them to run like a champ whether in competition or in a tuck/pack/HD role. Sig's customer service is usually pretty decent too in the event there is a problem.

I keep coming back to the spec list...
  • Trigger guard undercut
  • Higher backstrap
  • Extended beavertail
  • Removable grip weight
  • Removable Magwell
  • Extended slide catch
  • Bull barrel
  • Lightning cuts on the slide
  • Dawson sights/fiber front/fully adjustable rear
  • 4 21 rd mags
  • X5 straight trigger
  • Slide cut for an optic
$1000 seems VERY reasonable to me.

Retorical question. Yes, spec list is pretty awesome. While I understand the FCU will be compatible, I doubt Sig will sell the X5 grip module separately. Plus, there's a lot of 'custom' slide work included. My name is still on the 'call me' list for two 'on their way' to a LGS...

Good choice. The army thinks so too!

I didn't go for the legion either, seems like an inflated MK25... the extra feature is a glow stick, some grip tape, and a cool chevron on every part of the gun... totally worth the extra 200$-400$... lol

I will second the CZ suggestion. I have read too much about them to ignore.

I would have said Legion. I finally got to finger bang one a while back and I eat a plate of crow from prior statements I'd made saying they weren't worth it. I can't afford one, but if I could it'd be on the short list in the P229 form for sure. Or if they made one, a P225 legion. The trigger alone was amazing, but some of the frame touches - the truncated beavertail (not found on any other Sig frame) with the high cuts and checkering, the grips, and the sights just make the package oh so yummy. I don't care about the "special" gray version of nitron, or the legion coin stuff - but I priced out the individual components and gunsmithing on a base model 229, and the closest one could get was more expensive than buying a Legion, and the DIY method was still a compromise. So if I had $1200 to spend on one pistol - a 9mm 229 Legion would be it.

But that's a champaign gun, and I have a Great Value Diet Cola budget for more gun stuff right now, so I'll just have to lust after one. I also finger banged one of the new P225s the other day and it too is on the short list - the real short list though, because it had a much more reasonable price tag. If summer is good for me business wise, maybe I'll buy one for my birthday come the end of September. Maybe. I still want to snatch up another Glock 19 or M&P 9C before then.

I would have said Legion. I finally got to finger bang one a while back and I eat a plate of crow from prior statements I'd made saying they weren't worth it. I can't afford one, but if I could it'd be on the short list in the P229 form for sure. Or if they made one, a P225 legion. The trigger alone was amazing, but some of the frame touches - the truncated beavertail (not found on any other Sig frame) with the high cuts and checkering, the grips, and the sights just make the package oh so yummy. I don't care about the "special" gray version of nitron, or the legion coin stuff - but I priced out the individual components and gunsmithing on a base model 229, and the closest one could get was more expensive than buying a Legion, and the DIY method was still a compromise. So if I had $1200 to spend on one pistol - a 9mm 229 Legion would be it.

But that's a champaign gun, and I have a Great Value Diet Cola budget for more gun stuff right now, so I'll just have to lust after one. I also finger banged one of the new P225s the other day and it too is on the short list - the real short list though, because it had a much more reasonable price tag. If summer is good for me business wise, maybe I'll buy one for my birthday come the end of September. Maybe. I still want to snatch up another Glock 19 or M&P 9C before then.
A Legion (226 SAO) is still on my future radar. I agree; the upgrades (trigger, sights, mag, grips, guide rod) are 'worth it' in the sense of value compared to DIY over a standard P226, but the Legion and RX series are the only way to get a SAO in a new Sig. Now that I've bought a full-size 'practical' pistol, I'm sure it'll come down to Legion vs. 1911 when it's champaign time...

Took home a P320 full size yesterday. They'll still be room in my safe for a P226 someday, but I'm optimistic about this one's purpose.

Things I immediately appreciated:
- great price (thank you Billy; Clark County Transfers)
- good serial number (I wasn't able to pick it like I have in the past)
- metal sights (standard contrast for now, but at least high-quality)
- came with a decent-looking OWB holster (I knew that)
- included a sticker (I love stickers)

View attachment 362563

Things that surprised me:
- frame (grip module) did NOT include the 'FULL MEDIUM' panel on the right front of the dust cover (I hated that); it's been replaced by a simple little 'M' on the backstrap (my gun was born April 24, 2017)

View attachment 362564

- the guide rod is metal - I expected to upgrade this from poly - but now I don't have to!

View attachment 362565

- the two 17-round mags included were made in the USA, while the spare mag I bought separately was made in Italy; there are cosmetic differences but I'm not sure of any functional differences

View attachment 362566
View attachment 362567

Now I just need to get out to the range this weekend; likely first thing tomorrow morning!

With all of the money that you saved you should do what I did with my Beretta PX4 Storm. My PX4 was right around the same amount of money when I got it, and I then shipped it off to Robar Guns in Phoenix to have all of the metal in the gun refinished with their amazing NP3 Plus Nickel Teflon finish. Not only does the finish look like a million bucks, but the gun itself becomes virtually imperious to rust. And the Teflon in the finish makes the gun self-lubricating too. So very minimal lubrication is then needed. Made the already very nice DA/SA trigger pulls on the gun even smoother. In fact, the trigger pulls on my PX4 are superior to my awesome made in Germany Sig P220.

Cost to have this done is still only $260. That is more than what I paid, but I think that it is still reasonable, for what you get. Best firearm investment that I've ever made. it is not just an external finish. Every piece of metal inside the handgun gets refinished too. Order option is called the NP3 Plus Norton Special.

NP3 Plus Firearm Finish | Robar Guns

Some photos of my refinished PX4 with an extended mag installed ( 20 rounds 9mm, or 17 rounds of .40 S&W )

px4.jpg

PX42.jpg

I later made further modifications to the gun, installing adjustable sights on it, as well as converting it to a decocker safety. These photos below focus on showing those modifications.

px4_3179b.jpg

px4_3181b.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR