JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see what you are saying, but you can't legally buy a vehicle without a transfer of title. So any such buyer would either be shady or very naive.

Caveat emptor.
You know how many people leave the pink slip/title to their rig in the glovebox…

A lot.

Remember the good ole days when a person got hung for horse thieving?! We really need some of the justice this country used to serve! :s0155:
No we don't. I remember those "good old days". I remember the civil rights era, for example, when black men could get beaten to death and murdered or lynched for trying to vote or for nothing. And juries were all white. And no white person was convicted of anything no matter what they did to blacks. I remember when I was about 6 the first time I saw a " work gang" picking up litter along a highway in Florida. About 30 black men guarded by 3 white men on horseback with shotguns in hand. Only black prisoners. Only white guards.

I wonder how many who were hung on the spot for horse rustling actually rustled any horses vs just had land or cattle or horses somebody else wanted?

Our legal process stinks now. I'm hopeful during the next few years we will replace the governors, DAs, and judges who are refusing to enforce the law. But dreaming for a return to an idyllic past that never existed isn't a solution.

The point of the law, and insurance is so the average citizen doesn't need to resort to self help and possibly get shot or need to take the serious risk of being place in a position of maybe being charged. The best way to avoid being in a gunfight is avoiding folks who are criminal and, apparently, little to lose. Police are busy these days and need to prioritize, but I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't respond right quick to grand theft auto.

The point of the law, and insurance is so the average citizen doesn't need to resort to self help and possibly get shot or need to take the serious risk of being place in a position of maybe being charged. The best way to avoid being in a gunfight is avoiding folks who are criminal and, apparently, little to lose. Police are busy these days and need to prioritize, but I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't respond right quick to grand theft auto.
True, but 1) the police and courts have utterly failed. 2) We do not know the value and nature of the personal possessions in the truck when it was stolen - did the perp find a gun in the truck? 3) Neither is there any aspect of the law which prohibits or dissuades the citizen from recovering their stolen property. 4) Auto theft is not a violent crime, so there was little reason to suspect armed resistance - except see points #1 and 2.

Interestingly an unfortunate car thief in PDX stole a car yesterday that had a sleeping 7yo in it, so THAT car thief wound up the subject of an Amber Alert.

Only leave in your car what you will not miss if it is stolen.
Tweeker anecdote: decades ago there was an extreme tweeker/auto thief (redundant) in south King County. Due to his peculiar mental state, he worried about the condition of the cars he stole. So, he would change oil, replace the fan belt or air filter as needed. Except for the punched ignition, some cars were returned in better condition than when stolen.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top