JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Medics that take care of the Marines are US NAVY My daughter was a Corpsman in the Navy and trained with Marines then took care of them both in Iraq and at the Naval hospital in Sigonela, Sicily
I know that. I was in the Marine Corps. I was just stating that the stickers on the truck did not identify him as being a Marine.

I know that. I was in the Marine Corps. I was just stating that the stickers on the truck did not identify him as being a Marine.
Your right, I assumed the circular red one on the bottom was the circular red marine corps sticker but looking closer it's an NRA sticker.

07E8830A-0480-4110-8531-243A72B0F24F.jpeg
E4E20C87-947B-438F-976F-B73BEE51D413.jpeg

Not enough information in the article to jump to any conclusions.

The law in Washington still allows justifiable use of force to protect yourself from serious bodily harm. The thief pulled a gun.

It's the same concept if you were in a speaking altercation and you pushed someone to get them away from you. If the person you pushed pulled a gun and in return you also pull a gun a shoot you COULD be found at fault. Simply because you initiated the chain of events.

Or chasing someone out of your house and engaging with them.

I don't think the guy did anything wrong personally. But the LAW doesn't always see it that way. He should have called the cops and gave them the info. Even saying I am going to go retrieve my truck would have put some flames under the LEO due to the fact that an altercation was likely. No guarantees but at least you would have documented history.

If you're gunna carry you gotta be smart and have a cool head. I hope this guy doesn't end up in jail. Although personally a truck is t worth me going to jail over. I very selective on what I'm willing/worth to fight over.
No, it isn't the same concept at all. The only information available on this thread is what was in the short article attached. Anything else is conjecture. The thief pulled a gun on the dude. There isn't anything in the story about him pushing or chasing or singing to him.

I will agree with you on one point. I don't believe a truck is worth going to jail or shooting someone over, but the thief apparently thought so.

No, it isn't the same concept at all. The only information available on this thread is what was in the short article attached. Anything else is conjecture. The thief pulled a gun on the dude. There isn't anything in the story about him pushing or chasing or singing to him.

I will agree with you on one point. I don't believe a truck is worth going to jail or shooting someone over, but the thief apparently thought so.
The gun would have never been pulled if he wasn't confronted. Not saying it's right. Just saying that's how the legal system sees it. He actively pursued his stolen property and confronted the suspect who then pulled a firearm. Being a vigilante (even for yourself/property) doesn't always work out in your favor. That's all I am saying.

He should have made his shots count and truly neutralize the threat.

The gun would have never been pulled if he wasn't confronted. Not saying it's right. Just saying that's how the legal system sees it. He actively pursued his stolen property and confronted the suspect who then pulled a firearm. Being a vigilante (even for yourself/property) doesn't always work out in your favor. That's all I am saying.

He should have made his shots count and truly neutralize the threat.
He has every right to try to recover his stolen truck. He doesn't have to just roll over like a coward and call the police to make a report and hope for the best. That will do nothing nowadays in most cases.

If he went to retrieve his stolen truck and the perp pulled a gun on him (as stated in the article) then he has every right to defend himself. As I understand it he was not arrested or charged. And if the article is correct, then rightfully so.

He has every right to try to recover his stolen truck. He doesn't have to just roll over like a coward and call the police to make a report and hope for the best. That will do nothing nowadays in most cases.

If he went to retrieve his stolen truck and the perp pulled a gun on him (as stated in the article) then he has every right to defend himself. As I understand it he was not arrested or charged. And if the article is correct, then rightfully so.
I agree. I dont think he was wrong in what he did. Read what I said again. I'm simply saying you're rolling the dice on prosecution if you're living on the west coast. It's up to you what actions you want to take and what risks your willing to take.
That's all I said.

I agree. I dont think he was wrong in what he did. Read what I said again. I'm simply saying you're rolling the dice on prosecution if you're living on the west coast. It's up to you what actions you want to take and what risks your willing to take.
That's all I said.
People seem to have a tough time distinguishing between what is "right" and what the law says, they are not synonymous. I don't care one bit if the car thief dies, good riddance. I (like you) pointed out that the PA may view what took place as something worthy of charges.

It's the same concept if you were in a speaking altercation and you pushed someone to get them away from you. If the person you pushed pulled a gun and in return you also pull a gun a shoot you COULD be found at fault. Simply because you initiated the chain of events.

I don't think the guy did anything wrong personally. But the LAW doesn't always see it that way. He should have called the cops and gave them the info. Even saying I am going to go retrieve my truck would have put some flames under the LEO due to the fact that an altercation was likely. No guarantees but at least you would have documented history.

If you're gunna carry you gotta be smart and have a cool head. I hope this guy doesn't end up in jail. Although personally a truck is t worth me going to jail over. I very selective on what I'm willing/worth to fight over.
Problem with calling dispatch is, these days LE probably would not do anything. But dispatch would tell owner of car not to do anything, not to try to get car back. That would weaken car owner's legal situation, I think. I know you are expected to obey a cop who is right there in front of you. I don't know whether the dispatchers orders have any legal standing. I assume not, but don't know. But I figure the dispatchers orders can be used against you in court whether they have legal standing or not.

From what I've read dispatchers always tell the caller to be maximally passive and to do things that enhance their helplessness. Such as to hide in the bedroom closet leaving weapons elsewhere when someone is breaking in to your home. Where the invader will come sooner or later. No thanks. Also, apparently dispatchers try to keep you on the phone interacting with them instead of positioning yourself to best deal with the problem. Also no thanks. If someone tries to break into my home I need to arm myself and position myself behind cover where I can confront the invader just as he comes in, and where the most natural thing for him is going to be to take the one or two or three steps backwards to retreat from my home. And with a little luck, there's no mess, no fuss, no inconvenient bodies to explain away. And if no such luck, at least I've maximized the odds in my favor physically and legally by having the benefits of surprise, firing direction, and cover. And if there's a body that I have to justify, its inside the house.

Yes, I've dealt with such attempted home invasions. Twice. In both cases would-be invader retreated promptly when confronted with me with a gun. Yes, I know my approach doesn't help remove criminals from the streets. But I figure trying to catch criminals and hold them for the police is much more likely to create a situation where I end up having to shoot them, and is above my pay grade of not being trained in capturing bad guys and not having the legal advantages of LE. If I were a male in my prime with MMA skills as well as gun training instead of a 76-year-old female I might feel differently.

Being released doesn't mean charges can't/won't occur later. I hope they don't.
Yes... Temporarily Released .. And that ' all depend ' on who the court secretly summons, to be on the secret Grand Jury, to secretly decide behind closed doors, all guided by States Attorney, if the court will publicly fill/hold you on criminal charges .
Your 1st Amendment Rights, need not apply ....LOL .

Problem with calling dispatch is, these days LE probably would not do anything. But dispatch would tell owner of car not to do anything, not to try to get car back. That would weaken car owner's legal situation, I think. I know you are expected to obey a cop who is right there in front of you. I don't know whether the dispatchers orders have any legal standing. I assume not, but don't know. But I figure the dispatchers orders can be used against you in court whether they have legal standing or not.

From what I've read dispatchers always tell the caller to be maximally passive and to do things that enhance their helplessness. Such as to hide in the bedroom closet leaving weapons elsewhere when someone is breaking in to your home. Where the invader will come sooner or later. No thanks. Also, apparently dispatchers try to keep you on the phone interacting with them instead of positioning yourself to best deal with the problem. Also no thanks. If someone tries to break into my home I need to arm myself and position myself behind cover where I can confront the invader just as he comes in, and where the most natural thing for him is going to be to take the one or two or three steps backwards to retreat from my home. And with a little luck, there's no mess, no fuss, no inconvenient bodies to explain away. And if no such luck, at least I've maximized the odds in my favor physically and legally by having the benefits of surprise, firing direction, and cover. And if there's a body that I have to justify, its inside the house.

Yes, I've dealt with such attempted home invasions. Twice. In both cases would-be invader retreated promptly when confronted with me with a gun. Yes, I know my approach doesn't help remove criminals from the streets. But I figure trying to catch criminals and hold them for the police is much more likely to create a situation where I end up having to shoot them, and is above my pay grade of not being trained in capturing bad guys and not having the legal advantages of LE. If I were a male in my prime with MMA skills as well as gun training instead of a 76-year-old female I might feel differently.
Obviously dispatch isn't going to tell you to take action. That would be a major liability. The only info they have to go off of is the info the caller is feeding them (could be true or false). They simply try to keep people calm and do the little they can to assess and help the situation over a phone. As far as I know their "commands" are just words with no legal binding.

All I can say is if it were me I would have handled the situation much differently. But I'm also not looking to go hands on with petty thieves and tweakers.

We have a myriad of tools at our disposal. Although we seem to think the firearm is the only one worth mentioning.

I'm not so sure the law will view it as "Murder". Pretty sure you are allowed to defend yourself if a thief pulls a gun on you.

The article had limited information. Perhaps you know more?
Because he went armed to confront the man; shows that he had intent. ***Scratch that*** Merely owning a firearm expresses his intent to murder.

'Sarcasm disclaimer'

It's the same concept if you were in a speaking altercation and you pushed someone to get them away from you. If the person you pushed pulled a gun and in return you also pull a gun and shoot you COULD be found at fault. Simply because you initiated the chain of events.

I agree with some of your points here except the last one. Maybe your truck isn't worth going after but my current truck that is paid off truly is, it cost just short of what my first house did. I've worked my arse off my whole life and finally got into a position to be comfortable and I do t think kindly of someone wanting to steal what they didn't work for. But, that being said, I really don't think I'd shoot my own truck, LOL.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top