JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,
Quick question for you. Just moved to Island County area, Washington. Looking at turning my application in for the concealable, but had a question. I have noticed in Washington there are a lot of individuals carrying OWB. I personally only carried IWB while off duty why i was in CA. Does anyone have any information pertaining to OWB carry out in Washington. Trying to get as much information as possible on IWB/OWB for this state.
Thank you.

I carry OWB, but it's concealed. Are you talking open carry?
Hello, I am so use to carrying IWB around here while in CA. But the comfortably or even having the option of an OWB while on the property makes doing work and errands a little more convenient and more comfortable. There are times that i am working on the property and need to head into town for house hold projects, it would be nice to throw on a light cover jacket, instead of switching over to a IWB for that 30-60 min trip. I am trying to get the idea what is frowned upon up here.

To be clear , open carry doesn't mean under a light jacket. Tuck the jacket behind it so it's clearly visible to avoid issue in my opinion.

As long as the business hasn't posted anything about no firearms, nothing stoping you.

Definitely get the license. Super easy in this state.

To be clear , open carry doesn't mean under a light jacket. Tuck the jacket behind it so it's clearly visible to avoid issue in my opinion.

As long as the business hasn't posted anything about no firearms, nothing stoping you.

Definitely get the license. Super easy in this state.
Perfect, yes will be getting the license.

you can carry OWB and still be concealed. I think you are referring to open carry which is openly displaying/carrying a firearm, not hidden under clothing.

I'm impressed if you've actually seen people open carrying. I've seen it done a couple times in rural settings but nothing in or near any major population centers.

As for the islands, I have yet to see anyone OC'ing on the islands (Orcas and San Juan at least). I've met a few of the deputies and they're good enough guys but my guess is that you would cause a commotion and get contacted. There is a fairly large liberal population living in the islands and I'm just about certain somebody would get their panties in a twist and call it in...especially in light of recent events in Florida.

If you're considering doing it, however, definitely talk to whomever is on duty when you go in to get your permit. It would be nice to hear directly from one of them what the response is likely to be. And if you do decide to OC, please report back to us and let us know how it goes.

Alternatively, there shouldn't be too many problems carrying OWB with a light jacket over it. OC is technically legal so if the cover garment lifted up, you'd be fine...legally speaking.

Permitting process is a breeze by the way. You need to call for an appointment and they generally do it on Thursdays...at least that used to be the schedule. Takes about 30 days...give or take.

Welcome to the forum btw! :)

I'm impressed if you've actually seen people open carrying. I've seen it done a couple times in rural settings but nothing in or near any major population centers.

As for the islands, I have yet to see anyone OC'ing on the islands (Orcas and San Juan at least). I've met a few of the deputies and they're good enough guys but my guess is that you would cause a commotion and get contacted. There is a fairly large liberal population living in the islands and I'm just about certain somebody would get their panties in a twist and call it in...especially in light of recent events in Florida.

If you're considering doing it, however, definitely talk to whomever is on duty when you go in to get your permit. It would be nice to hear directly from one of them what the response is likely to be. And if you do decide to OC, please report back to us and let us know how it goes.

Alternatively, there shouldn't be too many problems carrying OWB with a light jacket over it. OC is technically legal so if the cover garment lifted up, you'd be fine...legally speaking.

Permitting process is a breeze by the way. You need to call for an appointment and they generally do it on Thursdays...at least that used to be the schedule. Takes about 30 days...give or take.

Welcome to the forum btw! :)
Seen a few in Mt. Vernon (Coastal Farms area), and at a dealership in Marysville area. Looking forward to be some were besides the high desert and closer to family. Just wish it wasn't under medical retirement. Would of loved to hit the slopes or enjoy more of the outdoors activities in the area.

Open carry in Wally world, sam's, NOT COSCO! Tiil you get comfortable with your perception everyone is staring at your firearm when they, for the most don't care!

Sorry to hear about your rationale to be here in the state, but welcome to the forum.

Seen a few in Mt. Vernon (Coastal Farms area), and at a dealership in Marysville area. Looking forward to be some were besides the high desert and closer to family. Just wish it wasn't under medical retirement. Would of loved to hit the slopes or enjoy more of the outdoors activities in the area.
Yout will find that Snohomish County is much more Conservative than Island County. Still I believe open carry is much less common than concealed is. I don't open carry simply because I don't feel like making myself a Target for the Wackos out there. Surprise is the greatest thing going during a possible confrontation and you can't have that if you walk around showing off your hardware!:):):)

Here's a guideline for open carry in WA State. This was a training I put on for local LE folks so they wouldn't have a brain hemorrhage when they cam across open carry.

Scenario:
Officer Smith sees two men walking down a sidewalk, the men appear to be talking as they cross the street. One of the men greets a lady as they pass. Officer Smith notices everyone is taking a second look at the men. Officer Smith sees both men are carrying what appear to be semi-auto pistols on their belts. It doesn’t appear the men are trying to hide the guns.

QUESTION #1:
Have the men committed a crime by carrying their guns where everyone can see them while in public?

The correct answer: No
Washington is an “open carry” state for firearms. This means there is a presumption that carrying a handgun in an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically prohibited. Open carry does not require a license.

QUESTION #2:
RCW 9.41.270 states “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of others.”

Can the men be charged?

The correct answer: No
In this law, mere possession of an openly carried handgun is not prohibited. In order to support an enforcement action under this law, the officer must be able to articulate (describe in a convincing manner) malicious intent by the suspect or circumstances that reasonably cause alarm to the public. In either case, because open carry in Washington is presumably legal, the articulation must include something beyond mere, open possession.

Saw a guy open carrying at Chic fa le in Federal Way, I thought "cool," most people didn't notice, or if they did notice they didn't say anything. He looked like he could have been LEO, but didn't carry himself like one specifically.

Makes no difference to me. My suggestion, get CPL, then carry however you want. I carry OWB most days, but wear a tshirt large enough to cover it or most of it. Since I am not breaking the law I don't care if someone notices, but most never will because they are not specifically looking for it.

I don't open carry only because I personally prefer to have it be less known by everyone where I am at that I have a G17 on my hip. Just makes life easier living in this liberal toilet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top