JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Washington: Multiple Gun Control Bills Scheduled for Committee Votes
military-style-rifle.jpg

Next week, the Senate Law & Justice Committee is scheduled to consider and vote on several anti-gun bills, including Substitute SB 5444 to create a back-door registry and 10 day waiting period on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms. Please contact members of the Senate Law & Justice Committee and urge them to oppose these gun control bills when they come up for a vote! Click the "Take Action" button below to contact committee members.

click-here-take-action.gif

Substitute Senate Bill 5444, sponsored by Senator David Frockt (D-46), is a stepping stone to a larger prohibition. As drafted, anyone under the age of 21 would be virtually unable to possess commonly owned semi-automatic rifles. This legislation attempts to brand these firearms as "assault weapons" to drum up unfounded fear of their ownership. The proposed substitute would treat these so-called "assault weapons" like handguns under state law, which require a waiting period of either 10 days or until all federal and state background checks have been completed. Individuals would be required to complete the same purchase application as for handguns. The Washington Department of Licensing would be granted permission to store this information under SB 5444, creating a back-door registry. Scheduled for a committee vote on Thursday, February 1st at 10:00am.

Substitute Senate Bill 5441, sponsored by Senator Patty Kuderer (D-48), would impose a 6-month firearm prohibition for any person who has been released from a 72-hour mental health evaluation. Current law allows a person to be held for a limited time in order for a mental health professional to determine if the individual, based on allegations of a mental health or substance abuse disorder, is in need of treatment or further commitment. At the end of the evaluation, individuals that are not in need of treatment are released. SB 5441 would nonetheless apply a blanket prohibition of firearm possession to all released individuals, and requires the immediate surrender of all firearms and any concealed pistol license to law enforcement. This legislation removes a constitutional right without any mental health adjudication or judicial determination, and without any due process of law. Scheduled for a committee vote on Thursday, February 1st at 10:00am.

Senate Bill 6298, sponsored by Senator Manka Dhingra (D-45), would expand the list of domestic violence offenses that prohibit firearm possession to also include "Harrassment." Domestic violence is a serious issue and those convicted of violent offenses should be addressed accordingly. However, the definition of harassment under Washington state law is so broadly defined that it includes 37 other crimes, many of which involve no form of actual contact or threat of harm to a person. Under this legislation, even the offenses of graffiti and trespass fall within this umbrella category that could result in a firearm prohibition. Imposing an automatic, blanket ban on constitutional rights for these wildly varying offenses is excessive and unwarranted. Scheduled for a committee vote on Tuesday, January 30th at 10:00am.

Senate Bill 6415, sponsored by Senator Sam Hunt (D-22), would require individuals to ask for express consent to conceal carry a firearm at the residence of another person. Failure to obtain permission prior to entering the property would result in a misdemeanor crime. Individuals convicted of this new offense would be required to surrender their concealed pistol license, and would be prohibited from obtaining a CPL for five years. This vaguely drafted legislation targets Washington's law abiding CPL holders, and as drafted, could even make it a crime for law enforcement to enter one's property without first requesting permission to carry their firearm. This bill is scheduled for a public hearing in the Senate Law & Justice Committee at 10:00am on Tuesday, January 30th, and a committee vote on Thursday, February 1st at 10:00am.

Also moving in Washington is Senate Bill 5992, passed by a Senate vote of 29-20. Sponsored by Senator Kevin Van de Wege (D-24), SB 5992 was originally introduced as a trigger modification device ban with broad, overreaching language that would have criminalized modifications commonly made to firearms by law-abiding citizens. Instead, the legislation was amended on the floor Thursday night to narrow down the definition of the ban to apply only to bump-fire stock attachments. This bill will now head to the House where it will be assigned to committee for further consideration.

Again, please use the "Take Action" button above to contact members of the Senate Law & Justice Committee and urge them to oppose this anti-gun legislation! In addition, please stay tuned to your email inbox for further updates on legislation impacting your Second Amendment rights in the Evergreen State.

*I personally believe that contacting the Senate Law & Justice Committee is pretty much an exercise in futility, as it is stacked (4 to 3) with the same rabid anti-gun Pieces of S... who sponsored/cosponsored all of the above bills. Those subhumans will not let their own bills die in committee, as has already been witnessed by the bump stock ban.

It's probably more beneficial to call your senators/representatives office on a regular basis(like at least once or more times a day, if possible).

I wonder if it's not too early to start the recall process, just to let them know how we feel.

Ray
*Yes, I am a pessimist when it comes to those tyrants and usurpers in the legislature.

I know some of my coworkers that have CPLs and they were unaware about the state preemption bill and other bills that were introduced by Washington State legislators. I said there was a bill about banning state preemption may go through so to contact their senators and representatives that law and these anti-gun bills and oppose them. I bet a huge number people with CPLs do not following the goings on in Olympia which is very bad. Get the word out if you know people with CPLs in Washington State have them call and write their representatives and senators.

This is part of the problem...

Today is Thursday, this post was started Monday and only 4 responses... This is exactly the kind of response those pathetic legislators bank on is "In-Activity"...

I just recently joined here because the numbers of like minded gun owners need to actually get involved or we will simply get run over with tyrannical laws...

Just saying...

I've called my Senators & Reps. Call 1-800-562-6000, tell them where you live and you can leave a message for all your legislators.

Today is Thursday, this post was started Monday and only 4 responses... This is exactly the kind of response those pathetic legislators bank on is "In-Activity"...

I just recently joined here because the numbers of like minded gun owners need to actually get involved or we will simply get run over with tyrannical laws...

Just saying...

I've been fighting this from the beginning. I've started a few threads to get the word out which have got plenty of replies.
Don't think because there's not much activity to every one of these threads that the word hasn't got out to our members.
What we need is for these members to set out on their own and contact friends family coworkers or to anyone that will listen to inform them that this is going on in Olympia.

Just saying...

So lack of internet teeth gnashing and preaching to the choir=inactivity and apathy?o_O

Here we go ladies and gents, my recent letter to my elected officials. The time is getting close for a vote and we must not let off on our calls, letters and emails. If you could even take the time to go to the Capitol and talk to them, I would but my hearing is so bad I couldn't carry on a rational conversation with them and eventually I would be escourted out of the building.
Please do your part, get involved

" Well gentlemen I am sorry that I missed your call last night for the telephone town hall meeting.

I really wanted to convey my sentiments to all three of you at the same time. I choose to use electronic communications due to my hearing impairment though.

My beef has always been about the constant tax increases, sanctuary status and the constant oppression of law-abiding gun owners from Washington government. For now I will just concentrate on the unconstitutional and unjust gun control bills before you now.

First let me say that we know that you feel the need to do something, that said do the right thing and do not persecute those that I have done nothing wrong.

I do know that this year the Democrats have a majority throughout all of Washingto state government. I despise that they feel that now is the time to bring in and push California politics, especially gun control, which has infiltrated the ranks over the last 20 or so years.

These laws do nothing more than to oppress law-abiding gun owners, adding unjust restrictions, registry and costing us more money just to enjoy our lives the way we see fit. We are tired of being targeted. Our Washington 2A rights shall not be "Impaired", it's in the constitution.

We always hear from just one party that continually calls for more gun control legislation, why is that? Why are law-abiding gun owners always targeted for this senseless violence committed by criminals and the mentally ill?

Criminals and bad people, mainly the mentally ill, have done many bad things with guns. Guns are just a tool used by people with bad intentions, so by restricting or banning said tool will not stop the violence. And as if you don't already know, criminals do not obey laws.

Enforcing existing laws already written and making the DOJ do what is intended of them, longer sentences and stop the plea bargaining of charges just because prisons are full, this will help tremendously.

I get so tired every year, writing my Reps, having to come to the Capitol to voice my opposition for these senseless gun control bills. Washington law-abiding gun owners should be the least of your worries yet here we are, year after year fighting for our rights.

While I'm still a Washington resident (which may not be for long if these bills pass) I will give you all my opinions, whether you like hearing them or not. I voice my frustrations not just for myself but for all Washington citizens who just want to be left alone to enjoy their lives in this beautiful state, without government intrusion.

All elected officials swear an oath of office to represent all of their constituents, to uphold the Constitution, whether it be state or federal. It is high time that Washington State politicians do so for all the citizens.

Please vote no on SB5444, SB5441, SB6298, SB6415, SB5992.

You may contact me through email or text, you have my number should you have any questions.

Regards. The Caveman"

Last Edited:
Last Edited:
Folks, just a link so those that are not intrigued enough to get involved can see the broad scope of the Anti-Gun Bills being pushed by the Liberal Progressives (there are very few Democrats left).

Bills by Topic Results

Also there is the proposed Washington Preemption rape by Seattle Rep Nicole Macri (D-43rd District).

Dave Workman has a link here Seattle Legislator Will Target State Preemption in January - Liberty Park Press

Thanks for all you do for us Dave!!!:s0115:

I just wanted to tag onto the end of what Caveman Jim stated with regard to the bills by topic.

You can subscribe to the Firearms topic feed, [orange button here] View attachment 427185, when you do this you will get notified of every move of every active bill. Lots of action to keep track of this session.

~Whitney

What's going on here is a bunch of evicserating of our rights by our "elected" attorney general bob ferguson. The gov inslee is throwing him out as meat to see what comes back. They are trying to circumvent our states constitutions and become the west coast of komifornia. Every representitive and congressman has a direct website and phone number YOU can call or email. If you don't know who these folks are in your district, shame on you. If we sit back and wait you are going to ask yourself what the hell just happened? Get involved, or get in line. Just me.

*I personally believe that contacting the Senate Law & Justice Committee is pretty much an exercise in futility, as it is stacked (4 to 3) with the same rabid anti-gun Pieces of S... who sponsored/cosponsored all of the above bills. Those subhumans will not let their own bills die in committee, as has already been witnessed by the bump stock ban.

It's probably more beneficial to call your senators/representatives office on a regular basis(like at least once or more times a day, if possible).

I wonder if it's not too early to start the recall process, just to let them know how we feel.

Ray
*Yes, I am a pessimist when it comes to those tyrants and usurpers in the legislature.

Ray

Ray

Agreed but think of it this way, if by chance they do pass these bills with the opposition overwhelmingly against them. We have a record (unless Hillary shows them how to permanently delete all the evidence) of what the people have said.
We have an avenue to RECALL the major players if a conspiracy is found.:mad:

Agreed but think of it this way, if by chance they do pass these bills with the opposition overwhelmingly against them. We have a record (unless Hillary shows them how to permanently delete all the evidence) of what the people have said.
We have an avenue to RECALL the major players if a conspiracy is found.:mad:

As long as everything is cruising along just fine, very few care, until the gate slams closed behind us.:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top