JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do they congregate on the south (sunlit) side of your house? Usually in the cooler fall on sunny afternoons?

If they do, whatever they are, they're hiding in the frame of your house and coming out to sun when it's warm (like elm beetles and box elder bugs). Buy a gallon of bug spray at Lowes/HD and soak them when they're out en masse. Most will die immediately. Those that survive for a little while, or crawl through the residual, will scuttle back under your siding and eaves, spreading the poison where tens of thousands of their buddies are nesting. Repeat a couple times and you're good for a year or two.

It sucks when they infest inside your house. On Thanksgiving. With company. (Not to be too specific.)

Some exterminators will charge you LOTS of money to put you on a quarterly or bi-monthly "plan." But some will not do it for any amount because they don't like customers calling them back to complain when (not if) the bugs return.

If none of that is happening, then disregard. Good luck finding out what you have there.

Last Edited:
Do they congregate on the south (sunlit) side of your house? Usually in the cooler fall on sunny afternoons?

If they do, whatever they are, they're hiding in the frame of your house and coming out to sun when it's warm (like elm beetles and box elder bugs). Buy a gallon of bug spray at Lowes/HD and soak them when they're out en masse. Most will die immediately. Those that survive for a little while, or crawl through the residual, will scuttle back under your siding and eaves, spreading the poison where tens of thousands of their buddies are nesting. Repeat a couple times and you're good for a year or two.

It sucks when they infest inside your house. On Thanksgiving. With company. (Not to be too specific.)

Some exterminators will charge you LOTS of money to put you on a quarterly or bi-monthly "plan." But some will not do it for any amount because they don't like customers calling them back to complain when (not if) the bugs return.

If none of that is happening, then disregard. Good luck finding out what you have there.

First time we've ever seen them, I assume the wind/storm brought them down from the trees. But I don't like to assume...

First time we've ever seen them, I assume the wind/storm brought them down from the trees. But I don't like to assume...

Those that keep trying to set up housekeeping in the walls of my two-story mid-century structure with wood siding have no intention of moving back to the trees they came from. RIP you sorry bastiges.

I did some Google-fu and have to agree that those are aphids - they come in different colors, but the black with the little red spikes are definitely one kind of aphid. Yep, get some ladybugs, they love eating those things!

Look more like a beetle then an aphid to me.

Size comparison with a coin would help.

Aphids don't get as large as those appear to be - I though ants heard them for food.

That's why he showed the little teacup from a distance, to show that the edge of the white teacup made those buggers to be very small, indeed. I believe aphids is possible. I've never seen so many of disparate sizes, though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top