JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Box elder bugs. A feature of the NW. At least they aren't chiggers and mosquitos. We call 'em stupid bugs, because all they do is hang out at the bug mall.

Those are aphids and they came from the maple. I would simply "do nothing" as they will be eliminated by winter.

They are easily killed with easily obtainable insecticide such as "sevin", google it, should they return next year, or as was stated by Oregon Quartermaster in his post above, ladybugs love to eat aphids and would be a very good solution if it where not close to cold weather now.

Keep an eye on the maple next year. if in the spring or mid summer you see any of these little buggers, have the tree sprayed or order the ladybugs and apply them to the tree by employing some local kids to climb it and place the ladybugs to the upper trunk and limbs. The ladybugs will find the aphids and devour them all.

Those are aphids and they came from the maple. I would simply "do nothing" as they will be eliminated by winter.

They are easily killed with easily obtainable insecticide such as "sevin", google it, should they return next year, or as was stated by Oregon Quartermaster in his post above, ladybugs love to eat aphids and would be a very good solution if it where not close to cold weather now.

Keep an eye on the maple next year. if in the spring or mid summer you see any of these little buggers, have the tree sprayed or order the ladybugs and apply them to the tree by employing some local kids to climb it and place the ladybugs to the upper trunk and limbs. The ladybugs will find the aphids and devour them all.

Thanks for the tips! I haven't had a chance to do anything for them this week. Given how cold it's getting at night, I'll likely just do as you suggest & leave them be.

I will, however be mindful for them come next season.

Aerial Assault Teams dropped in under cover of inclement weather via those green colored two bladed helicopters shown in the first photo. Standby to repel borders!

Baby Aphids look identical to adult aphids only smaller, and it's a live birth, so there is no egg stage, just little ones that molt into bigger ones that molt into even bigger ones.

One of your pics showed the lovely sucking mouthparts they use as hypodermic straws so they can tap into plant veins and suck up the sugary liquid. Yum!

Yeah, my little invaders showed up in thick crawling swarms today too. So I poured a gallon of broad-spectrum bug poison from HD/Lowes/Ace in my pump sprayer. But how do I spray a 2-story home with a 3' wand? Glad you asked.

I cut the wand in half and taped both ends to a 12-13' aluminum trimmer pole with 10' of clear neoprene tubing to connect them. The bugs seem to collect high up on the sunny side of the house late in the afternoon, mostly right under the eaves. And that's where I spray the hell out of them.

Most drop dead instantly. Some make it back under the siding and poison their nests. Others will walk through residual on the siding later and track it into the nest too. I'll do this once or twice more before Thanksgiving and they'll be 98% gone for 2-3 years.

wand base.JPG

wand tip.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR