JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's an idea…
… require Airfarse One be replaced with the Osprey. It'll be able access much smaller airports so the Pres can visit more of America. ;)
At least then there may be a push to make it safer:s0092:

I am saddened by the loss of fellow Leathernecks...

The V-22 doesn't really have a glorious record of "safety" in my opinion..

I don't know if it is the aircraft or the training, but something isn't right with the number of incidences with that tilt rotor...

I flew in Frogs and Sheeters in the olden times and survived. On the 53, when my squad member had hydraulic fluid drenching his legs and alerted the crew chief, the chief responded "It's only a problem when it stops leaking".

I think Marine 1 is going to be an Osprey, or under consideration.

"The MV-22 also provides transport for White House staff as part of the HMX-1 presidential squadron based in Quantico, Va."

MV-22-POTUS.jpg

the chief responded "It's only a problem when it stops leaking".
My buddy was a Ranger back in the late 80's. Their SOP was to look under all aircraft, if no hydraulic fluid on the ground, then go to the next ship as that one is dry. Often they'd have barrels aboard so the crew chief could keep replenishing the fluid levels on missions.

Its had one the longest developmental period of any aircraft, being developed from the 1980s to the 2000s, with test flights starting in 1991? And still, its record is better than the Luftwaffe's record with the F-104G Starfighters, or the Navy's record with the F7U Cutlass...

Given the new levels of maneuverability, combined with very high performance, abuse of, or overly aggressive piloting will cause losses of any airframe! I'm not saying this is what happened here, but several others were shown to have had their limits exceeded by aggressive flyers attempting to push beyond the limits! The MV-22 isn't so technically advanced, rather it's limitations vs it's potential have not been fully understood, more air crew fully held to restrictions! Right before I retired, I got to experience the MV-22 a little bit, and found it quite the machine, and the pilots were starting to fly it aggressively, something they were promised by it's design and built in performance, but we also saw it's limits and our pilots strictly held within those limits, to my knowledge, not one has been lost yet!

My buddy was a Ranger back in the late 80's. Their SOP was to look under all aircraft, if no hydraulic fluid on the ground, then go to the next ship as that one is dry. Often they'd have barrels aboard so the crew chief could keep replenishing the fluid levels on missions.
Ahhhhhh the smell of hydro can almost taste it in the air !

I know one of the problems the Osprey has (had?) was decent rates while in vertical flight.

The rotors also need to function as hybrid propellers, which means their design optimization is not ideal. The conflicting design points are a propeller never has to deal with reversed airflow, while a helicopter rotor will have to deal with that during every decent.

In the Osprey very quick descents can cause complete loss of lift at the rotor roots. This loss of lift causes an accelerating the descent, which causes the area experiencing lift loss to creep out the rotor disk, further accelerating the descent. . . The only way to recover is the switch back into a horizontal flight regime and start producing lift with the wings again, but you can only do that if you have a significant amount of altitude, which you probably will not have seeing as you are in the vertical flight regime, which is used almost exclusively at lower altitudes. . .

As far as I am aware the only "solution" is to just not exceed descent limits. If you do RIP everyone on board as you will find yourself quickly plowing into the ground as your rotors lose all available lift. The Osprey is one bird you do not want to push the limits in. In fact you want to stay as far away from them as possible, because getting close to them can mean things like a simple upward wind shear can cause your bird to drop to the ground like a stone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top