JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HB 2792 passed house and is in the senate judiciary. Hopefully it goes through so I don't have to try to fight and get a CHL. From what I have heard it seems like some days they will issue no problems and others they won't.

@8.1% st he would have had to spend around 15k in OR to 'save money'.

Again, just playing devils advocate because I am on board with him regarding the whole taxation without representation dealio.
But every little bit helps defray the actual $1200 or so he ended up paying (he did get a $500+ refund).
Would it be that unusual for someone who lives in SW WA and works in OR. to spend several thousands of dollars in OR. over the course of a year? $15k is likely not typical, but probably not unheard of either.

WA does not honor my OR CHL either. I can get a non resident in WA, and as a bordering state, you can get one in OR. Just have to pay twice. For Oregon folks, the UTAH permit is the way to go as it is honored in WA also.
Wa does have a reciprocity with Any state that honors our CPL. The problem is Or requires that silly little BS class, where wa is a Shall issue state. We walk in pay our money, they run our back ground and then we get mailed our liscense.

Huh?
I've had a non-resident Multnomah County license for close to 20 years now. Never had a problem with renewal either. They used to require a letter from the WA Health Dept stating that you had no mental health records and a letter from your employer on their letterhead stating that it was OK to have a CPL. Since I have my own business license that was no problem and I've never been committed to a mental health institution that wasn't a problem either. Now they just require a letter stating why you want a permit. Carrying large sums of money from a show is a good reason for me.

They actually require a permission slip from your employer? Are you serious? That's worse than Massachusetts.

Wa does have a reciprocity with Any state that honors our CPL. The problem is Or requires that silly little BS class, where wa is a Shall issue state. We walk in pay our money, they run our back ground and then we get mailed our liscense.

Not true. There are 23, 20 not including the AK, AZ, and VT, states that honor the Wa. CPL but we only honor 11.

State that honor Wa. CPL - AK*, AR, AZ*, FL, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, ND, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*
*= constitutional carry state

States that Wa. has reciprocity with - AR, MS, OH FL*, MO, OK, LA, NC, UT, MI*, ND**
*=State only honors resident permits
**=Wa. only honors class1 ND permit

They actually require a permission slip from your employer? Are you serious? That's worse than Massachusetts.

My message you quote says "They USED to", not that they "still do"

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Again, just playing devils advocate because I am on board with him regarding the whole taxation without representation dealio.
But every little bit helps defray the actual $1200 or so he ended up paying (he did get a $500+ refund).
Would it be that unusual for someone who lives in SW WA and works in OR. to spend several thousands of dollars in OR. over the course of a year? $15k is likely not typical, but probably not unheard of either.

Well, some people buy tires in OR according to the Vancouver Costco tire store. They said they sell very few tires although the do price out a lot. It's possible for someone to spend almost $4,000 on tires for two vehicles alone.

I used to work in downtown Portland in the "black box" as well as for Freightliner on Swan Island in their IT dept. I had to show my wifes income (all earned in WA) on my OR taxes, then subtract it out. But they still wanted to know how much we both earned. Still had to pay full sales/use tax in WA even though OR residents get off without paying WA sales tax. That means OR residents get the perk of no sales tax but WA residents pay WA sales/use tax AND OR income tax with no representation. Wasn't there a revolt over just that?

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

Being a "shall issue" state has NOTHING to do with completing a class. "Shall issue" means that if you meet the requirements for a CPL they can't deny it for any reason. They can still require you to take a class in order to get the license. When I got my CPL back in the early 80's the deputy held it out, then, as I tried to take it, he pulled it back and said "if it weren't the law I wouldn't give any of these out. Problem was I had been warned by my ex-girlfriends psychiatrist that she had sworn to kill me. She also had a .38 and she was a good shot too.

WA has issued CPL's (although they used to be CWP's) since 1968 and everytime I read about how FL was first I just shake my head in disbelief!!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

I am a WA resident with an OR CHL - Multnomah County Sherriff was very easy and pleasant to deal with - take the class or bring your DD-214, make your appointment and go on down...

I don't want to argue the relative merits of required training, it is what it is, and merely complainin' won't change it.

how the eff did you get it?!? the a-holes in multnomah county were giving me all kinds of guff about it...
"oh you probably can't get it...we only issue to residents...self defense isnt a good enough reason..." friggin cops...meh

a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone...but dont try and tell those friggin heros about it...

How have we WA residents survived the reality that we are not required to take some class to legally conceal carry?

It's just another barrier to carrying

How have we WA residents survived the reality that we are not required to take some class to legally conceal carry?

It's just another barrier to carrying

I agree. I think everyone should get as much training as they can afford. But having it be required in order to exercise a fundamental human right is ridiculous. I would perhaps feel different if there were thousands of CCW licensees misusing their firearms, but that's simply not the case.

In Massachusetts, where I lived until recently, the NRA Home Firearms Safety class is acceptable as meeting the "training" requirement for a CCW and that doesn't even involve live ammo, not to mention that it doesn't touch on various use of force laws etc. Training requirements are put into place by people who don't know much about firearms OR CCW because they "sound good," or as an intentional impediment to getting licensed.

And training doesn't cure stupid. I've seen plenty of outrageous safety violations by cops and they have more training than anyone would ever require for civilian CCW permits.

So Oregon is "shall issue" or not? Do they require "good cause"? I am meeting with Sheriff Palmer in Vegas to get my OOS CHL for Oregon (I live in California), but I may be moving back to Jackson County. I would imagine that if I already have my non resident permit, getting the regular one would not be an issue.

"Oregon law allows for the denial of a concealed handgun license if the Sheriff determines you are a danger based upon a past pattern of unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence."

I found this in the application. I also see it asks for two non related references, is that a requirement? How much leeway does the sherrif have? Where I live, the Sheriff's office will try every trick in the book to make SURE you dont get a permit, often twisting the law and even breaking it.

For example, the Sheriff would find that because you had been in a fistfight ten years ago, you exhibit a "past pattern of unlawful violence"...
You hear about stuff like this all the time. If their isnt strict catagories for denial, you see abuses.

Huh?
I've had a non-resident Multnomah County license for close to 20 years now. Never had a problem with renewal either. They used to require a letter from the WA Health Dept stating that you had no mental health records and a letter from your employer on their letterhead stating that it was OK to have a CPL. Since I have my own business license that was no problem and I've never been committed to a mental health institution that wasn't a problem either. Now they just require a letter stating why you want a permit. Carrying large sums of money from a show is a good reason for me.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

duly noted...

I agree. I think everyone should get as much training as they can afford. But having it be required in order to exercise a fundamental human right is ridiculous. I would perhaps feel different if there were thousands of CCW licensees misusing their firearms, but that's simply not the case.

In Massachusetts, where I lived until recently, the NRA Home Firearms Safety class is acceptable as meeting the "training" requirement for a CCW and that doesn't even involve live ammo, not to mention that it doesn't touch on various use of force laws etc. Training requirements are put into place by people who don't know much about firearms OR CCW because they "sound good," or as an intentional impediment to getting licensed.

And training doesn't cure stupid. I've seen plenty of outrageous safety violations by cops and they have more training than anyone would ever require for civilian CCW permits.

Training is great and I recommend it but as you said government hoops to exercise a God given right is onerous, not to mention unConstitutional. Do we have to take classes to exercise our 1st or 5th amendment rights?

Rights trump other issues and what anyone thinks "should be"..

I also see it asks for two non related references, is that a requirement?

I'm new to shooting. I took a "class" (I was the only student and I got the benefit of individual instruction from a retired LEO and range master for a County and State Police Acadamy) last week. The references do not need to be non-related people. One is my wife on my application. My appointment is Saturday am. They schedule folks for every 15 minutes. Hand the money over, show two ID's, and application. They then get a background check from the State Police and you get the license in the mail. I'm told there is currently less than a 1 week turnaround in my County.

I also see it asks for two non related references, is that a requirement? How much leeway does the sherrif have?

I find it interesting that the actual law does not list "references" as a required element of the application:

(a) The application must state the applicant's legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant's residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

Yet many of the online applications have a section for "references". I wonder what would happen if you left it blank?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top