JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also see it asks for two non related references, is that a requirement? How much leeway does the sherrif have?

I find it interesting that the actual law does not list "references" as a required element of the application:

(a) The application must state the applicant’s legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant’s residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

Yet many of the online applications have this in them. I wonder what would happen if you left it blank?

I am a WA resident with an OR CHL - Multnomah County Sherriff was very easy and pleasant to deal with - take the class or bring your DD-214, make your appointment and go on down...

I don't want to argue the relative merits of required training, it is what it is, and merely complainin' won't change it.

Same here, no problem ever when getting mine or renewing. Just don't take your pistol into the Sheriffs office when you go!!

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

I'm really hoping this passes, but looking at its status it looks a bit stuck in the Senate Judiciary from an outsider's perspective.

Anyone across the border know the cutoff dates/etc off the top of their head?

I am a WA resident with an OR CHL - Multnomah County Sherriff was very easy and pleasant to deal with - take the class or bring your DD-214, make your appointment and go on down...

I don't want to argue the relative merits of required training, it is what it is, and merely complainin' won't change it.

they did their best to make me believe otherwise...and stating that fact isn't complaining...so the "richards" at the police station profiled the tattooed guy and basically walked me to the exit while giving numerous reasons why i should not waste my time applying for this permit...glad you had a pleasant experience

they did their best to make me believe otherwise...and stating that fact isn't complaining...so the "richards" at the police station profiled the tattooed guy and basically walked me to the exit while giving numerous reasons why i should not waste my time applying for this permit...glad you had a pleasant experience

Dude - I'm a 300 lb, long haired, bushy bearded, heavily tattooed biker. I had zero problems, and a nice chat with the pretty lady that does the CHL's. Don't let them talk you out of it - just get the application in. If you have no documented issues in your past - you have no problem.

I wasn't suggesting you were complianing - I was referring to the fact some people complain about the training requirement Oregon has for a CHL. I could go either way on the required training, but like I said - it is what it is - a minor inconvenience. If people don't like it, stop complainin' and get legislatin'.

I wasn't suggesting you were complianing - I was referring to the fact some people complain about the training requirement Oregon has for a CHL. I could go either way on the required training, but like I said - it is what it is - a minor inconvenience. If people don't like it, stop complainin' and get legislatin'.

Oregon accepts the easy, FREE online handgun safety training from the Maryland State Police. Go to the site, take the class online, print your certificate and get your CHL: Welcome (Training Agreement)

Dude - I'm a 300 lb, long haired, bushy bearded, heavily tattooed biker. I had zero problems, and a nice chat with the pretty lady that does the CHL's. Don't let them talk you out of it - just get the application in. If you have no documented issues in your past - you have no problem.

:s0155:

yeah i got nothin' to hide so im goin' fer it!

Personally I'd rather see the National Reciprocity bill pass, but OR recognizing others is a step in the right direction!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

Never they beat the crap out of the last bill to be signed it looked nothing like it did the part about resiprocity was removed if you want to carry in oregon you'll need and orygun license

Never they beat the crap out of the last bill to be signed it looked nothing like it did the part about resiprocity was removed if you want to carry in oregon you'll need and orygun license

Which I have had for many, many years now, think it's somewhere around 15 years and over 25 for WA CPL. My father had a WA one many years ago too.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

What a lot of people don't realize is that WA was a "shall issue" state since the 1960's. I always get a kick out of how many stories cite FL as being one of the first and they weren't even close.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

Hey Deen - this is off topic but do you think you could trim that massive signature of yours? I think I've seen it 200 times now and I get the message.

Oregon accepts the easy, FREE online handgun safety training from the Maryland State Police. Go to the site, take the class online, print your certificate and get your CHL: Welcome (Training Agreement)

Nice work. I've also seen the reciprocity maps; what has everyone concluded for maximizing states, carrying across state lines for OR residents?

It looks like Utah has an online application? But you could also head across to WA and the Sheriff's office and get one, I suppose. I also see that if you really want to maximize as many states possible, you might get a Utah+ FL (but that means applying in person, I think), or if you simply travel across to WA (and occasionally ID), just WA+OR is plenty.

More: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I find it interesting that the actual law does not list "references" as a required element of the application:

Yet many of the online applications have this in them. I wonder what would happen if you left it blank?

Actually it does have it in 166.291 (4) it may not list it otherwise but it is on the "sample" form that shall be used.

[FONT=&quot] (4) Application forms for concealed handgun licenses shall be supplied by the sheriff upon request. The forms shall be uniform throughout the state in substantially the following form:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]______________________________________________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Date________[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] I hereby declare as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I am a citizen of the United States or a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and have declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services my intention to become a citizen and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of this application. I am at least 21 years of age. I have been discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for more than four years if, while a minor, I was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act that, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470. I have never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony in the State of Oregon or elsewhere. I have not, within the last four years, been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a misdemeanor. Except as provided in ORS 166.291 (1)(L), I have not been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or completed a court-supervised drug diversion program. There are no outstanding warrants for my arrest and I am not free on any form of pretrial release. I have not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130, nor have I been found mentally ill and presently subject to an order prohibiting me from purchasing or possessing a firearm because of mental illness. If any of the previous conditions do apply to me, I have been granted relief or wish to petition for relief from the disability under ORS 166.274 or 166.293 or 18 U.S.C. 925(c) or have had the records expunged. I am not subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.735 or 163.738. I have never received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States. I am not required to register as a sex offender in any state. I understand I will be fingerprinted and photographed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Legal name ____________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Age ______ Date of birth ________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place of birth ____________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Social Security number ___________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Disclosure of your Social Security account number is voluntary. Solicitation of the number is authorized under ORS 166.291. It will be used only as a means of identification.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Proof of identification (Two pieces of current identification are required, one of which must bear a photograph of the applicant. The type of identification and the number on the identification are to be filled in by the sheriff.):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1.____________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 2.____________[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Height _____ Weight _____[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hair color _____ Eye color _____[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Current address ________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](List residence addresses for the[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]past three years on the back.)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]City _____ County _____ Zip _____[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phone _____[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have read the entire text of this application, and the statements therein are correct and true. (Making false statements on this application is a misdemeanor.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]_______________[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot](Signature of Applicant)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Character references.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]___________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Name Address[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]___________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Name Address[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Approved ___ Disapproved ___ by ___[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Competence with handgun demonstrated by _____ (to be filled in by sheriff)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date _____ Fee Paid _____[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]License No. _____[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show