JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Basically if you argue that one needs more rounds in the mag to deal with more attackers, it backfires as "active shooter needs more rounds in the mags to deal with more victims". And I doubt the stats will help us to refute that...

And one more thing. It's not about me "liking it". It's about using the strategy that will give us a win. Do lawyers grab onto a bunch of mismatching straws when they argue a case ? Gene Hoffman himself often brings up Alan Gura as an example of how it should be argued.

Again, use whatever argument you think is most effective. But if you think you are going to dictate to others which argument is "best", I don't think people want to hear that from you. I certainly don't.

WTF is wrong with our "representatives"??? Do any of them ever even bother to look at the FBI crime statistics before proposing these bonehead statutes? I sent my email off to my representatives.

I sent off emails to my Senators and Representatives and also to all of the Judiciary Committee members. I wrote this:
I am concerned that there is currently an atmosphere of enacting law based on emotion rather than on facts and logic. It concerns me because there is a movement afoot to punish law abiding citizens by the misguided attempts to lessen crime by enacting law which criminals will not follow and will only either make law abiding citizens criminals or make them more vulnerable than safer.

I know that there is a great concern to come up with solutions to the Sandy Hook tragedy. It was a horrific event and it should never have happened. But the thing that is truly tragic is that those in a position to make things safer for our kids are focused on a solution which will not make them safer. The only truly way to make them safer is to get rid of GUN FREE ZONES. Those zones only serve to provide a gunman with a nice supply of victims and nobody can defend themselves and have to wait until police can arrive. And by that time it will be too late for many. The ironic thing, and this is truly tragic is, that people who are not familiar with guns and/or have a fear of them, claim that our kids would not be safe with Concealed Carriers on school grounds. They worry that they may have incidents which would be either someone going crazy and using their gun on the kids, or that they will do things in an unsafe manner. This is truly the tragic part. Because the fact of the matter is that almost every single mass shooting, since gun free zones were introduced, have been in so called gun free zones. These shooters know they can rack up a high body count and then go out in a blaze of glory to which they will become famous in the media.

What really needs to happen is to remove gun free zones, give teachers and administrators the ability to conceal carry IF they take extra training, and to STOP PUBLISHING the names of the perpetrators. The thing to remember is that someone hell bent on committing these atrocities will come up with a way to do it. They do not follow laws and they laugh at them. So these steps will do more to stop mass shootings than banning high capacity magazines or banning what people erroneously mislabel as assault rifles. Those rifles have been involved in less than 2% of all killings from rifles. And rifles are the lowest cause of death among things like knives, bats, hammers, and the like. So it makes no sense to go banning something which has no statistical significance in any way. What is the purpose?

So, I respectfully request that you vote no on controls of this kind (including Senate Bill 346). Let’s do some meaningful work and actually reduce crime by enforcing existing law and by doing common sense items as I have mentioned.

If a majority of the County Sheriffs are not going to enforce laws that they deem to be unconstitutional then they are going to have a hard time enforcing this. It will only make purchasing magazines in Oregon difficult, can I say if it passes there will be a nice vacation fishing and of corse shopping in Wyoming.:s0114:

No sense in sending one off to that libtard Barton, unfortunately my state rep.
Should send it anyway. Probably a snowball's chance in hell that it will help but if enough people do send it, it may have a minute chance of doing something. But if you don't, then there is absolutely no chance.

3so0y7.jpg

Yes, there's more we can do. Call Oregon reps/senators every day and ask to speak to a staff member. Any ear in the office will do, even a secretary or intern.

Send a handwritten letter, with physical objects to stand out: glossy photos of your kids, shooting range, your grandpa holding a gun, your first elk.

Meet your representative at their next town hall.

Emails didn't work in Lexington. They didn't work in California. We need to get out there and change perceptions.

Reply from Sen. Roblan

Greetings XXXX, Senator Roblan appreciates you taking the time to share your concerns with regards to noted bills. I can ensure you that he will take your position under serious consideration should the bill be assigned to his committee. Please note that I have placed your letter in the bill files for Senator Roblan's consideration during committee and leadership hearings. And please, do not hesitate to contact us whenever there is an issue you wish to discuss, as we are open to hearing from all Oregonians.

Rosie Shatkin
Legislative Policy Advisor
Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5
(Coos, Florence, Newport, Tllamook)

900 Court Street NE Rm 417
Salem, OR 97301
Office 503.986.1705

Last Edited:
Reply from Sen. Roblan

Greetings XXXX, Senator Roblan appreciates you taking the time to share your concerns with regards to noted bills. I can ensure you that he will take your position under serious consideration should the bill be assigned to his committee. Please note that I have placed your letter in the bill files for Senator Roblan's consideration during committee and leadership hearings. And please, do not hesitate to contact us whenever there is an issue you wish to discuss, as we are open to hearing from all Oregonians.

Rosie Shatkin
Legislative Policy Advisor
Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5
(Coos, Florence, Newport, Tllamook)

900 Court Street NE Rm 417
Salem, OR 97301
Office 503.986.1705
This was the response I got from Sen. Roblan to my email I posted above, in an earlier post.
Sen Roblan said:
Greetings Bob, Senator Roblan appreciates you taking the time to share your concerns with regards to noted bills. In the spirit of bipartisanship, I can ensure you that he will take your position under serious consideration with his colleagues should the bill be assigned to his committee. As a former educator, Sen. Roblan is keenly aware of the issues of mental illness and the challenges faced by school personnel and parents. As is evident, Gun Free School zones will be violated by someone with a mental deficiency to understand his actions.

Please note that I have placed your letter in the bill files for Senator Roblan's consideration during committee and leadership hearings. And please, do not hesitate to contact us whenever there is an issue you wish to discuss, as we are open to hearing from all Oregonians.

Registered to post in this thread, lol. E-mailed my state senator, we'll see if she replies. Here's what I sent her:

Hey there. I am a Troutdale resident, a landscape and bird photographer, and a responsible gun owner, as is my girlfriend whom I live with. I am writing to voice my opposition to SB346 and to urge you to please oppose it--and to oppose any new firearm/magazine restrictions that will harm the 2nd amendment rights of law abiding citizens such as myself.

Large capacity magazines are useful for self-defense. A law abiding citizen may need more than 10 rounds if being attacked by multiple assailants. An average citizen--especially those most vulnerable such as women and the elderly--are also unlikely to have the room or the desire to carry additional (quite heavy) magazines when going about their day to day business. A criminal that is out for the express purpose of committing a crime, on the other hand, will have no problem carrying a bunch of magazines (as we saw with Eric Harris who committed his atrocities primarily with a firearm with 10 round magazines).

If we are serious as a state about reducing gun violence among those with mental illness, then what should be done is to look into the effect of SSRI drugs on young people. That is the common link that almost all of the tragedies of the last 15 years have--the shooters were on SSRI medication. Now, correlation does not equal causation, but it's something that's worth looking into (instead of blaming things like guns, video games, Marilyn Manson, or whatever else they are using as a scapegoat today!)

Thanks for your time, and hope you are staying dry and warm this winter!

Thanks for registering and emailing your senator! Spread the word regarding this bill to family/friends. The more people that write the better the chances are that tis bill doesnt pass!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top