JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW, I sent a question to Dr. Pierce, via his web site, addressing some of those concerns. In particular, I asked several questions to get his opinion on HB4147 type issues since he had touched on those. Will let everyone know what he has to say.
He seems like a respectable guy and he was a Marine, and we stick together. However, nothing in his official statements say anything about repealing, reforming, or expanding gun rights in Oregon. Obviously not getting worse is better than what Brown has planned, but that's not really a pro-gun position.

Senator Kim Thatcher Pro Gun District: 13 Incumbent

Capitol Phone: 503-986-1713
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-307, Salem, OR, 97301
Email: [email protected]

Representative Bill Post Pro Gun Incumbent
Party: Republican
District: 25

Capitol Phone: 503-986-1425
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-373, Salem, OR 97301
Email: [email protected]

These two people are very good for us.

Kim was a Representative for several years be for being elected to the Senate.

Last Edited:
Senator Ernie Roblan (D) Dist #5 is anti-gun he voted for SB941. Rep. David Gomberg (D) Dist #10 is anti-gun he voted for both SB 941 and HB 4147

Thank you for the info. Have you confirmed if both are running for re-election, and, if so, if they have anyone running against them, especially a pro-gun candidate?

From my end of Washington County:

Representative District 34: Ken Helm (D) should be considered Anti-Gun. He doesn't have much of a record, being a first termer, and his focus is on the environment. He did, however, vote for SB941 and never responded to inquiries.

Senate District 17: Elizabeth Steiner Hayward is well on record as an anti voice and doesn't respond to inquires .

From my end of Washington County:

Representative District 34: Ken Helm (D) should be considered Anti-Gun. He doesn't have much of a record, being a first termer, and his focus is on the environment. He did, however, vote for SB941 and never responded to inquiries.

Senate District 17: Elizabeth Steiner Hayward is well on record as an anti voice and doesn't respond to inquires .

Thank you for the information - I will add it to the list.

Alan Deboer (R) is running for State House District 5, against Pam Marsh (D)
He was Mayor Of Ashland for one term as well as a city council member, as is Marsh currently (Sandra Abercrombie (R) dropped out when she learn Deboer was running). He's just filed, and I haven't seen a position on guns from him, but I think he's a moderate, and in his own words "Democrats would be better off to have me as a Republican" and that his voice in Salem would be a benefit to both parties. . . . So I'm going to say he is a) a RINO, and b) in all effect (when it comes down to his vote), is likely anti-gun based solely on my observations. I haven't found a website for him yet, but if I see something different, I'll post. He's just not much of an alternative in my estimation, and not a person wanting to stand for something, just an opportunist.

Last Edited:
Alan Deboer (R) is running for State House District 5, against Pam Marsh (D)
He was Mayor Of Ashland for one term as well as a city council member, as is Marsh currently (Sandra Abercrombie (R) dropped out when she learn Deboer was running). He's just filed, and I haven't seen a position on guns from him, but I he's a moderate, and in his own words "Democrats would be better off to have me as a Republican" and that his voice in Salem would be a benefit to both parties. . . . So I'm going to say he is a) a RINO, and b) in all effect (when it comes down to his vote), is likely anti-gun based solely on my observations. I haven't found a website for him yet, but if I see something different, I'll post. He's just not much of an alternative in my estimation, and not a person wanting to stand for something, just an opportunist.

Thank you for that information. If you come across anything that would update that position, please do let me know.

In trying to find a website or two that aggregates candidacy information, so far I've found 'balletpedia' which has been updated recently, so it might prove to be a resource for candidates. I'm sure once all the filings are published, this info will be readily more available.

In trying to find a website or two that aggregates candidacy information, so far I've found 'balletpedia' which has been updated recently, so it might prove to be a resource for candidates. I'm sure once all the filings are published, this info will be readily more available.

I've got one link that tells me everyone who has filed, but it doesn't list their positions. I'm hoping we can go off of more than just their statements, but where possible, confirming those that have voted for or against gun control in the past (if applicable to the candidate). I appreciate your assistance in gathering this data. I'm finding out just how many candidates there are across the state - it's a lot of information.

I've got one link that tells me everyone who has filed, but it doesn't list their positions. I'm hoping we can go off of more than just their statements, but where possible, confirming those that have voted for or against gun control in the past (if applicable to the candidate). I appreciate your assistance in gathering this data. I'm finding out just how many candidates there are across the state - it's a lot of information.
Yes, it's quite a bit to process. I think whenever possible, if people who post candidates here could follow up by directly asking the candidates in their district where they stand on gun control (if it's at all unclear) and come back to update their post, it would be helpful. That's what I'll try to do when I find some contact info or a website.

Yes, it's quite a bit to process. I think whenever possible, if people who post candidates here could follow up by directly asking the candidates in their district where they stand on gun control (if it's at all unclear) and come back to update their post, it would be helpful. That's what I'll try to do when I find some contact info or a website.

Yes, that would be helpful. There is no way I can possibly catch up on the views of all the candidates, so I will definitely need as many folks as possible to share information on their local candidates so that we can get this list as accurate as possible.

My rep is Brent Barton (D), anti-gun (voted in favor of SB941). Thankfully he is not running again, so there is a chance to replace him with a pro-gun candidate. I know one of those candidates personally, Evon Tekorius (R) - she and her husband are pro-gun, so I know she is one that is worth considering.

All the democrats voted for the gun bill, except 3 I'll get there names as soon as I check the OFF site.

Yes, SB941 was almost a straight party line vote - I don't believe those D's that didn't vote for it are actually pro-gun, but go permission to do so from their party leadership for political reasons.

The 2016 Election sees 9 incumbent Democrats not running for re-election including Val Hoyle, one of our biggest anti-gun legislators. There are also (2) Republicans not running for re-election. It will be important to take as many available seats as possible - though some of those districts appear, at first glance, to not have any pro-gun folks running. In my own district, Brent Barton is not running again (Yay!!) and there are one or two pro-gun folks running for his position.

Here are the seats where the incumbents are not returning - I say good riddance to all who sold out our rights for their personal politics:

District 5 - Peter Buckley (D)
District 14 - Val Hoyle (D)
District 22 - Betty Komp (D)
District 24 - Jim Weidner (R)
District 26 - John Davis (R)
District 27 - Tobias Reed (D)
District 40 - Brent Barton (D)
District 41 - Kathleen Taylor (D)
District 43 - Lew Frederick (D)
District 47 - Jessica Vega Pederson (D)
District 51 - Shemia Fagan (D)

Hopefully we can get some good, solid pro-gun folks into a majority of those vacating seats. Man, would I love to see a pro-gun candidate replace Val Hoyle - I only hope the folks in her district that were behind the recall effort step up at election time and put someone good in her place. For my part, I'll be doing what I can to help encourage folks in my area to vote for one of the pro-gun candidates to replace Barton.

Last Edited:
All the democraps voted for the gun bill, except 3 I'll get there names as soon as I check the OFF site.
See post 24 in this thread:
OFF lists the names of the 3 Dems in the house that voted against 4147. They are:
Brad Witt, District 31, Clatskanie, https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/witt
Deborah Boone District 32, Cannon Beach https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/boone, and
Caddy McKeowan, District 9, Coos Bay https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/mckeown

Don't know if any have declared for this year.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/anti-gun-bill-passes-house-just-barely

I would suspect that we will see more web sites and Facebook pages open up as time goes on. Since the filing deadline was just the other day (Tuesday), they should be getting together with the party bosses to put together their position papers and decide which candidates will tackle certain issues.

Things that are "as clear as mud" right now will probably get murky soon!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top