JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My email:
Dear Lane County Sheriff's Office,

I was wondering if I could get the LCSO's stance on whether or not the attached resolution passed by the Lane County Board of Commissioners in 2015 (basically declaring Lane County a 2A sanctuary county) is still in effect and does it reflect Sheriff Harrold's stance on recent unconstitutional anti-gun legislation passed by the Oregon legislature.

The response from LCSO:

Good morning –

Many questions have arisen as to what will happen to the rights of gun owners in Oregon since the passage of Ballot Measure 114. For the record, I believe BM 114 to be an unconstitutional restriction on the right to possess firearms, and I believe that the U.S. Supreme Court has already indicated as much in their review of other states' laws of similar nature. That said, I also believe that the founding fathers of the USA specifically designed a three part governance system so that no one person was given any kind of supreme power. In our three part system, the judicial branch is charged with the responsibility to declare a statute or act as unconstitutional.

My responsibility lies in the organization and operation of the Office of Sheriff in Lane County. I can tell you that we don't have sufficient resources to do the primary function of the Office, which is "to conserve the peace". We have the fewest number of deputy sheriffs per capita of any county in Oregon. We have an average response time to domestic violence calls for service of over an hour and a half. We have insufficient resources to properly respond and investigate burglaries in our county. We certainly don't have the resources to go out and investigate magazine capacity of firearms owners.

The Lane County Sheriff's Office is responsible for issuing Concealed Handgun License's (CHL) to qualified residents and there are roughly 25,000 CHL holders in the county. Since the introduction of Measure 114 there continues to be a surge in applications for new and renewing CHL's. We are already operating on limited resources and this, unfortunately, carries over into our CHL department. Currently, appointments are scheduled out months in advance for new applicants and renewals. We also serve walk-in applicants on Wednesdays in an attempt to lessen the lag time for scheduled appointments. However, the shear volume of CHL applicants and the current state of our resources creates an inability to adequately address that workload, let alone a new permitting process as required by BM 114.
Myself, and other Sheriffs, often rely on the analysis of our legal advisor(s) through our Oregon State Sheriffs Association. Having reviewed the BM 114 and the legal analysis received, the following is my understanding of the current status of the measure:

1. While a federal court recently ruled BM114 as constitutional, it is still being challenged at the state-level and continues to remain on hold. At current, there is a trial set for September, 2023.
  2. Court challenges often take years. One such challenge is underway on a California magazine ban that was sent back to the 9th Circuit Court by the US Supreme Court for reconsideration due to a recent Supreme Court decision in the NY Rifle v. Bruen case.
  3. Since the measure as written provides an affirmative defense to possession of a >10 round magazine, if it was owned prior to the effective date of the measure it's advised to have proof of ownership before the measure took effect, such as a dated photograph of the magazines.
  4. The Oregon State Sheriffs Association, the Oregon Association of Chiefs of Police, and the Oregon State Police, continue to meet to discuss these questions and concerns as the logistics of Measure 114 are worked through. I know that there will continue to be questions surrounding this measure, and I am committed to providing that information as soon as it becomes clear. One piece of information that remains very relevant is that the Measure requires a nationwide background check utilizing fingerprints, however the FBI has made it clear that the system may not be accessed for the purpose of issuing permits under Measure 114. Therefore, no permits could be issued as the process under the measure would not be able to be completed, should the state court stay be lifted.
With regards to the 2015 Lane County Resolution, it is important to note that a resolution by the County Commissioners is a statement of their position on a matter as a board made up of five independently elected officials. As the Sheriff of Lane County, I am also an independently elected official, thus a resolution from the Board of County Commissioners may or may not coincide with my position on any given matter. That said the Board of County Commissioners does control the budget for my office and thus they can influence matters in that regard. Although the Resolution that you've referenced was adopted in response to Senate Bill 941, it holds the same sentiment to what I described above about our lack of resources. We do not currently have the staff to take on the burden of this unfunded mandate. My focus has been and will continue to be to provide law enforcement to the Lane County community at the highest priority.

Sincerely

Sheriff Clifton G. Harrold

One piece of information that remains very relevant is that the Measure requires a nationwide background check utilizing fingerprints, however the FBI has made it clear that the system may not be accessed for the purpose of issuing permits under Measure 114. Therefore, no permits could be issued as the process under the measure would not be able to be completed, should the state court stay be lifted.
I'm not an Ore. resident, but I found the above quote interesting. It sounds like this one point could freeze up the whole process as passed by the voters. Meaning, no one could transfer a firearm because the investigatory requirements couldn't be met.

Last Edited:
I'm not an Ore. resident, but I found the above quote interesting. It sounds like this one point could freeze up the whole process as passed by the voters. Meaning, no one could transfer a firearm because the investigatory requirements couldn't be met.
Section 4(1)(e) in M114 says;

The permit agent shall request the department to conduct a criminal background check, including but not limited to a fingerprint identification, through the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

It seems the big issue is that the measure requires the checks to be done by the FBI, even though Oregon State Police is more than capable of doing them themselves. We already know the writers of this petition were ignorant but this just drove it home further that they had no idea what they were drafting. If OSP runs the checks then its not in compliance with the text of the measure. The FBI has expressed, as stated in the original post, that they have no intention of running these checks for us. So what happens next? Let's say M114 is ruled constitutional after all the legal challenges. The FBI still won't run the checks so it'll result in a defacto gun ban unless law enforcement agencies disobey the text of the measure which says the FBI has to do it. Does that mean once we're at that point we'll need to sue the FBI? I'm no lawyer but I'm sure any plaintiff would get laughed out of court because the FBI will just wave the supremacy clause and say the voters of Oregon have no power to dictate the FBI to do anything. This whole situation is definitely going to get a lot more murky here soon.

Senate Bill 348 was written to replace and implement M114 and was tabled as part of the walkout deal. The requirement for the FBI background check was removed from SB 348. In fact, they actually made M114 worse by adding sixty days to perform a background check, the 3 day hold after approval, and age restrictions for purchase. There is little doubt that they will introduce it again next session with whatever they want written into it.

So think that out just for a minute, if you can't buy or sell a gun without the permit and they ain't giving permits......

What does that do to NWFA when we can't buy or sell a gun?

So think that out just for a minute, if you can't buy or sell a gun without the permit and they ain't giving permits......

We keep what we have, shoot, load for and tinker on them until either their "system" is in place or the supreme court throws the whole thing out. Become what they fear the most and that is a responsible gun owner that is as in the name of my business a Proficient Marksman.

We keep what we have, shoot, load for and tinker on them until either their "system" is in place or the supreme court throws the whole thing out. Become what they fear the most and that is a responsible gun owner that is as in the name of my business a Proficient Marksman.
That's fine. I have pretty much all I need/want. But I would put money on them coming after people like you next. "We can't have plain old Joe (mike) American making ammo in his garage!" "We don't have the people to watch his every move to make sure he's not an enemy of the state!"

Yes, I don't believe the current government is working FOR the people anymore.

There won't be a gunstore in Oregon that can sell a gun if 114 is passed in court. It may take years for the courts to defeat 114 and buying and selling will cease in Oregon if you read what the Sherriff wrote.

That's fine. I have pretty much all I need/want. But I would put money on them coming after people like you next. "We can't have plain old Joe (mike) American making ammo in his garage!" "We don't have the people to watch his every move to make sure he's not an enemy of the state!"

Yes, I don't believe the current government is working FOR the people anymore.
Amazing how many think 114 is the last of the gun control laws, 114 is the blood in the water for gun control sharks.

Just pointing out that NWFA is made up of more than just members from Oregon.
Might see more classifieds from Idaho , Montana , Wyoming...

Please note that I am not in favor of Measure 114....and I do understand the frustration that many if not most Oregon firearm owners are experiencing over it.
Washington ain't much better with its dumbazz gun laws.

Andy

Just pointing out that NWFA is made up of more than just members from Oregon.
Might see more classifieds from Idaho , Montana , Wyoming...

Please note that I am not in favor of Measure 114....and I do understand the frustration that many if not most Oregon firearm owners are experiencing over it.
Washington ain't much better with its dumbazz gun laws.

Andy
Sherriff said that 114 will go to court in September. It's obvious that 114 will be taken to a higher court which ever way its decided here.

Kali has been fighting the magazine bans for a long time and still haven't come to a decision.

114 will be the same as long as the State of Oregon spends the money to get 114 installed. Either people let their politicians know they don't want 114 or its going to tie up all gun sales in Oregon.

If 114 goes through then we will have to sell out of state and we can't buy a gun in Oregon until they decide we can.

Sherriff said that 114 will go to court in September. It's obvious that 114 will be taken to a higher court which ever way its decided here.

Kali has been fighting the magazine bans for a long time and still haven't come to a decision.

114 will be the same as long as the State of Oregon spends the money to get 114 installed. Either people let their politicians know they don't want 114 or its going to tie up all gun sales in Oregon.

If 114 goes through then we will have to sell out of state and we can't buy a gun in Oregon until they decide we can.
I understand all that....and again...understand the frustration here.

In any event...
I do not know what will happen with Oregon membership and NWFA classifieds if Measure 114 goes through.
Andy

I understand all that....and again...understand the frustration here.

In any event...
I do not know what will happen with Oregon membership and NWFA classifieds if Measure 114 goes through.
Andy
Just thinking it out, 114 gets passed and pretty quickly the local gunshops close up because gun sales can't happen.

Guys here decide to try to sell to the limited number of people out of state on this board.

A lot of out of state dealers won't receive a gun from a private party and demand it be shipped by a dealer.

Oops our dealers closed their doors because they can't sell guns.

There are a lot more consequences that people are not understanding from the Sherriffs letter.

I have my dog to walk and dishes to do so I guess you guys can figure out what's next.

Later.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR