JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If we are to have any chance of stopping the anti-gun politicians in 2017, we need to know who they are all around the state, and we need to mobilize every single pro-gun voter in the state to support pro-gun candidates. If we do that, we may just send a clear message to Salem and around the state that our rights are not something to be voted away by politicians that feel they have the right to do so.

This thread is going to be developed as a "master list" of candidates across the state of Oregon for various political offices, from the Governor on down. We'll use this thread for one thing only - to list the known candidates, likely by county (yet to be determined) and simply mark them down as one of 3 notes: Pro-gun, Anti-gun and unknown.

Many groups put out "voter's guides" each election cycle, and that is essentially what we're doing here - but we are focusing on one, and only one issue - gun rights.

I'll need everyone's help to do this. I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date, based on the information I receive. I won't have time to research the entire state, so I'll really need your help too. We'll need lists of names, party affiliation if applicable, names of offices running for and, if known, their stance on guns.

I'm reserving the first 10 posts for lists of candidates. After that, please post any updated information for your area. I'm guessing the most important for this list are governor, secretary of state, state representative, state senators and county commissioners. That will be a lot of information right there, but if space and time allows, we may be able to include a little more.

This is NOT a discussion thread. If you want to discuss candidates and their stances on guns, please open another thread. Only list known candidates, their party, the office and their stance on guns if known. Any other information will not be applicable here and may result in the post being removed.

I'll try to start adding info to this in the near future. Until then, feel free to add candidate info in this thread. But please, reserve commentary for another thread.

Thanks!!

@Joe Link, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, please move it if necessary. Also, would it be possible to make this a sticky, so it's always at the top of the list??

Last Edited:
OREGON PRIMARY ELECTION - MAY 17, 2016 - last day to register/change parties is April 26, 2016 (note - Oregon is a "closed" primary state, meaning only registered Republicans can vote in the Republican primary and only registered Democrats can vote in the Democrat primary. You may vote for anyone in the general election in November, regardless of party affiliation)

GENERAL ELECTION - NOVEMBER 8, 2016 - last day to register/change parties is October 18, 2016

IF YOU ARE NOT CURRENTLY REGISTERED TO VOTE, PLEASE DO SO NOW, AND PLEASE VOTE TO SUPPORT GUN RIGHTS IN THE PRIMARY AND GENERAL ELECTIONS - WE HAVE MUCH TO LOSE. If you are not already registered, you may do so by clicking this link: https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/vr/register.do?lang=eng

Before we get to the lists, let's define terms:

Pro-Gun: A candidate with a demonstrated political record of working to advance, protect and defend the rights of Oregonians to keep and bear arms. This should include one or more of the following: advancing pro-gun legislation, supporting pro-gun bills, opposing anti-gun legislation, voting against anti-gun bills and vocally supporting the 2nd Amendment rights of Oregonians.

Anti-Gun: A candidate with a demonstrated political record of working to restrict, remove or block the rights of Oregonians to keep and bear arms. This should include advancing anti-gun gun legislation, supporting anti-gun bills, opposing pro-gun legislation, voting in favor of anti-gun bills and vocally supporting restricting the 2nd Amendment rights of Oregonians.

Likely Pro-Gun: A candidate with no proven political record of working to advance, protect and defend the rights of Oregonians to keep and bear arms, but have otherwise demonstrated they are likely to do so if elected. These candidates may have shown their support for gun rights by working to support pro-gun legislation from outside of political office, vocally supporting gun rights or providing assistance to or support of pro-gun organizations (such as OFF, NRA, SAF, GOA), or are otherwise known to be pro-gun in their political views.

Likely Anti-Gun: A candidate with no proven political record of working to attack or restrict the rights of Oregonians to keep and bear arms, but have otherwise demonstrated they are likely to do so if elected. These candidates may have shown their disregard for gun rights by working to support anti-gun legislation from outside of political office, vocally attacking gun rights or providing assistance to or support of anti-gun organizations (such as Everytown), or are otherwise known to be anti-gun in their political views.

Neutral: A candidate that may show support for both pro-gun and anti-gun legislation, depending on the particular legislation at hand. It may be difficult to nail down their exact stance based on past statements or actions. This candidate may warrant further research before a declaration of pro-gun or anti-gun.

Unknown: No verifiable record of this candidate's stance on gun rights in Oregon.

Abbreviations:

(D) - Democrat
(R) - Republican
(I) - Independent
(L) - Libertarian
(NA) - Non-Affiliated
(Inc) - Incumbent
(Unk) - Unknown

Pro-Gun and Likely Pro-Gun Candidates will be in BOLD to make them easy to spot in the list.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Statewide Races, Governor, Secretary of State, etc.

2016 is a Gubernatorial Special Election - the winner will serve the remaining 2 years of former Governor John Kitzhaber's term. The list below reflects only declared candidates and are listed alphabetically after the incumbent Governor.

Governor:

* Kate Brown (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Allen Alley (R) - Pro-Gun
* Patrick Barney (I) -
* Julian Bell (D) -
* Chet Chance (D) -
* Bruce Cuff (R) - Likely Pro-Gun
* William Ames Cutright (R) -
* Kevin Forsythe (D) -
* Bob Forthan (R) -
* Steve Johnson (D) -
* Bob Niemeyer (R) -
* Bud Pierce (R) - Neutral
* Dave Stauffer (D) -
* Cliff Thomason (I) -

Secretary of State:

* Brad Avakian (D) -
* Richard Devlin (D) -
* Val Hoyle (D) - Anti-Gun
* Sid Leiken (R) -
* Dennis Richardson (R) - Pro-Gun

Last Edited:
Oregon House of Representatives - PART 1 (Districts 1-30)

Incumbents, if running for re-election, will be listed first. As of 2016, Democrats hold the current majority with 35 seats with the Republicans holding 25 seats. All 60 seats will be up for grabs in November 2016.

The Oregon House of Representatives is made up of 60 members, each representing a district defined by a block of approximately 63,850 voters. Each representative serves a 2-year term, there are no term limits. Not sure who your representative or district are, click on this link: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html

District 1:

* Wayne Krieger (R)(Inc) - Not Running
* Terry Brayer (D) -
* David Brock Smith (R) -

District 2:

* Dallas Heard (R)(Inc) -

District 3:

* Carl Wilson (R)(Inc) -
* Tom Johnson (D) -

District 4:

* Duane Stark (R)(Inc) -

District 5 (Ashland):

* Peter Buckley (D) (Inc) - Not Running
* Pam Marsh (D) - Anti-gun
* Sandra Abercrombie (R) -
* Alan Deboer (R) - Likely Anti-Gun

District 6:

* Sal Esquivel (R)(Inc) -

District 7:

* Cedric Hayden (R)(Inc) -
* Fergus McLean (I) -
* Vincent Portulano (D) -

District 8:

* Paul Holvey (D)(Inc) -
* Mary Tucker (R) -

District 9:

* Caddy McKeown (D)(Inc) -
* Brett Sliger (NAV) -
* Mary Tucker (R) -

District 10:

* David Gomberg (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Thomas Donohue (R) -

District 11:

* Phil Barnhart (D)(Inc) -
* Richard Mills (R) -
* Joe Potwora (R) -

District 12:

* John Lively (D)(Inc) -
* Robert Schwartz (R) -

District 13:

* Nancy Nathanson (D)(Inc) -
* Laura Cooper (R) -

District 14:

* Val Hoyle (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Julie Fahey (D) -
* James Manning (D) -
* Aaron Cluette (R) -
* Kathy Lamberg (R) -

District 15:

* Andy Olson (R)(Inc) -
* Zachary Gilliand (D) -

District 16:

* Dan Raylfield (D)(Inc) -
* Judson McClure (R) -

District 17:

* Sherrie Sprenger (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Jeff Goodwin (I) -

District 18:

* Vic Gilliam (R)(Inc) -
* Mike Early (R) -
* Tom Kane (D) -

District 19:

* Jody Hack (R)(Inc) -
* Larry Trott (D) -

District 20:

* Paul Evans (D)(Inc) -
* Laura Morett (R) -

District 21:

* Brian Clem (D)(Inc) -
* Doug Rodgers (R) -
* Alvin Klausen Jr (I) -
* Robert Rader (D) -

District 22:

* Betty Komp (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Corbin Johnston (R) -
* Teresa Alonso Leon (D) -
* Patti Milne (R) -

District 23:

* Mike Nearman (R)(Inc) -
* Beth Jones (R) -
* Jim Thompson (I) -
* George Neujahr (D) -

District 24:

* Jim Wiedner (R)(Inc) - Not Running
* Ken Moore (D) -
* Ron Noble (R) -

District 25:

* Bill Post (R)(Inc) -
* Sharon Freeman (D) -

District 26:

* John Davis (R)(Inc) -
* John Boylston (R) -
* Ray Lister (D) -
* Patrick Whewell (D) -
* Richard Vial (R) -
* Matt Windgard (R) -

District 27:

* Tobias Reed (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Darin Campbell (D) -
* Sheri Malstrom (D) -

District 28:

* Jeff Barker (D)(Inc) -
* Alton Mozingo (R) -
* Gary Carlson (R) -
* Daniel Martin (R) -

District 29:

* Susan McLain (D)(Inc) -
* Juanita Lint (R) -

District 30:

* Joe Gallegos (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Dan Mason (R) -
* Janeen Sollman (?) -

Last Edited:
Oregon House of Representatives - PART 2 (Districts 31-60)

Incumbents, if running for re-election, will be listed first. As of 2016, Democrats hold the current majority with 35 seats with the Republicans holding 25 seats. All 60 seats will be up for grabs in November 2016.

The Oregon House of Representatives is made up of 60 members, each representing a district defined by a block of approximately 63,850 voters. Each representative serves a 2-year term, there are no term limits. Not sure who your representative or district are, click on this link: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html

District 31:

* Brad Witt (D)(Inc) -

District 32:

* Deborah Boone (D)(Inc) -
* Bruce Bobek (R) -

District 33:

* Mitch Greenlink (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* John Verbeek (R) -

District 34:

* Ken Helm (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Donald Hershiser (I) -

District 35:

* Margaret Doherty (D)(Inc) -
* Jessica Cousineau (I) -

District 36:

* Jennifer Williamson (D)(Inc) -

District 37:

* Julie Parrish (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Paul Southwick (D) - Likely Anti-Gun

District 38:

* Ann Lininger (D)(Inc) -
* Patrick De Klotz (R) -

District 39:

* Bill Kennemer (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Charles Gallia (D) -

District 40:

* Brent Barton (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun, Not Running
* Christin VanOrder (NAV) -
* Mark Meek (D) -
* Evon Tekorius (R) - Pro-Gun
* Steven Cade (D) -
* Terry Gibson (D) -

District 41:

* Kathleen Taylor (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Tim McMenamin (R) -
* Karin Power (D) -

District 42:

* Rob Nosse (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* James Stubbs (I) -

District 43:

* Lew Frederick (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun, Not Running
* Roberta Phillip-Robbins (D) -
* Tawna Sanchez (D) -
* Robert Andrews (D) -

District 44:

* Tina Kotek (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Sharon Nasset (D) -

District 45:

* Barbara Smith-Warner (D)(Inc) -

District 46:

* Alissa Keny-Guyer (D)(Inc) -

District 47:

* Jessica Vega Pederson (D)(Inc) -
* Gloria Ngezaho (D) -
* Diego Hernandez (D) -
* Michael Langley (I) -

District 48:

* Jeff Reardon (D)(Inc) -
* George Yellot (R) -

District 49:

* Chris Gorsek (D)(Inc) -

District 50:

* Carla Piluso (D)(Inc) -
* Stella Armstrong (R) -
* Michael Calcagno (I) -

District 51:

* Shemia Fagen (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun, Not Running
* Lori DeRemer (R) -
* Janelle Bynum (D) -
* Adrienne Enghouse (D) -
* Randy Shannon (D) -

District 52:

* Mark Johnson (R)(Inc) -
* Mark Reynolds (D) -
* Walt Trandum (D) -

District 53:

* Gene Whisnant (R)(Inc) -
* Michael Graham (D) -

District 54:

* Knute Buehler (R)(Inc) -
* Gena Goodman-Campbell (D) -

District 55:

* Mike McLane (R)(Inc) -
* Brie Malarkey (D) -

District 56:

* Gail Whitsett (R)(Inc) - Not Running

District 57:

* Greg Smith (R)(Inc) -

District 58:

* Greg Barreto (R)(Inc) -

District 59:

* John Huffman (R)(Inc) -
* Tyler Gabriel (D) -

District 60:

* Cliff Bentz (R)(Inc) -

Last Edited:
Oregon State Senate

Incumbents, if running for re-election, will be listed first. As of 2016, Democrats hold the current majority with 18 seats with the Republicans holding 12 seats. 16 seats will be up for grabs in November 2016.

The Oregon State Senate is made up of 30 members, each representing a district defined by a block of approximately 114,000 voters. Each senator serves a 4-year term, there are no term limits. Not sure who your senator or district are, click on this link: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/findyourlegislator/leg-districts.html

NOTE: Not all Senate seats are being voted on this year - only those seats up for grabs are listed here.

District 1:

* Jeff Kruse (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Timm Rolek (D) -
* Jessica Kensinger (R) -

District 2:

* Herman Baertschiger (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun

District 3: Not Open

District 4: Not Open

District 5:

* Arnie Roblan (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Dick Anderson (R) -

District 6: Not Open

District 7: Not Open

District 8: Not Open

District 9:

* Fred Girod (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Richard Harisay (D) -

District 10: Not Open

District 11: Not Open

District 12:

* Brian Boquist (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Ross Swartzendruber (D) -

District 13: Not Open

District 14:

* Mark Hass (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun

District 15: Not Open

District 16: Not Open

District 17: Not Open

District 18:

* Ginny Burdick (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun

District 19: Not Open

District 20: Not Open

District 21:

* Diane Rosenbaum (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Kathleen Taylor (D) - Likely Anti-Gun
* Kathleen O'Brien (D) - Likely Anti-Gun
* John Sweeney (D) - Likely Pro-Gun

District 22:

* Chip Shields (D)(Inc) - Not Running
* Lew Frederick (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Margaret Carter (D) -

District 23:

* Michael Dembrow (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun

District 24: Not Open

District 25:

District 26:

District 27:

District 28:

District 29:

District 30:

Last Edited:
US Senate and US House of Representatives

US Senate - 6 year term:

* Ron Wyden (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Kevin Stine (D) -
* Mark Callahan (R) -
* Dan Laschober (R) -
* Sam Carpenter (R) -
* Paul Weaver (D) -
* Faye Stewart (R) -
* Marvin Sandness (I) -
* Stephen Reynolds (I) -

US House of Representatives - 2 year term:

District 1:

* Suzanne Bonamici (D)(Inc) - Anti-gun
* Brian Henrich (R) -
* Shabba Woodley (D) -

District 2:

* Greg Walden (R)(Inc) - Pro-Gun
* Jim Crary (D) -
* Paul Romero (R) -

District 3:

* Earl Blumenauer (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* David Walker (I) -

District 4:

* Peter Defazio (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Jo Rae Perkins (R) -
* Art Robinson (R) -
* Joseph McKinney (D) -

District 5:

* Kurt Schrader (D)(Inc) - Anti-Gun
* Seth Allen (R) -
* Colm Willis (R) -
* Ben West (R) -
* Dave McTeague (D) -
* Earl Rainey (R) -

Last Edited:
Inside the attached link is a good list of the senate seats up this cycle. http://oregoncatalyst.com/31640-early-oregons-2016-elections.html

And by the way, with the exception of Betsy Johnson, I don't think you're going to see anyone vote outside party lines when it comes to gun control measures. There will be exceptions, but what we saw this year in the house was because it's an election year. The votes were 31 to 29.

Inside the attached link is a good list of the senate seats up this cycle. http://oregoncatalyst.com/31640-early-oregons-2016-elections.html

And by the way, with the exception of Betsy Johnson, I don't think you're going to see anyone vote outside party lines when it comes to gun control measures. There will be exceptions, but what we saw this year in the house was because it's an election year. The votes were 31 to 29.

That may be true, but rather than assume their position, let's reserve the answers on this list for those that have demonstrated pro or anti gun voting records. If we start basing it solely on party, that will get the thread shut down. I think we all know one particular party has been very unfriendly to gun owners in Oregon, but let's just leave it at that for this thread.

Thanks for the list, when I get some time to start assembling this, I'll check that out.

Response from Bud Pierce.
Hi Norm!
Got to get this cleared up! We have over 300 major gun laws, and 1000's of minor gun laws, which are more than enough! The 2nd Amendment, and Oregon Bill of Rights, guarantee the right to bear arms for personal protection, and to prevent government tyranny, period. We need to leave law abiding citizens alone, and focus on mental health and criminal gun violence. Hope this helps!
Bud Pierce

So, sounds like he isn't going to support any gun control, but he didn't say anything about repealing or changing anything either.

Unfortunately the urban population centers tend to vote straight Democrat without even looking at how batbubblegum crazy the candidates actually are. Republicans cannot win in these liberal enclaves. Our only hope is to support Libertarian or moderate Democrat candidates who are willing to vote apart from the main party leadership. We need to elect some DINOs, Democrats In Name Only.
Dino_from_%22The_Flintstones%22.gif

Unfortunately the urban population centers tend to vote straight Democrat without even looking at how batbubblegum crazy the candidates actually are. Republicans cannot win in these liberal enclaves. Our only hope is to support Libertarian or moderate Democrat candidates who are willing to vote apart from the main party leadership. We need to elect some DINOs, Democrats In Name Only.
View attachment 281597

As stated in the OP above, let's please keep political commentary to other threads. The purpose of this thread is to gather a list of candidates and their stance on guns - period. Regardless of party, we're going to help inform NWFA members who stands with them on guns and who stands against them so they can make informed decisions in the primary and the general election. Further discussion on particular candidates or their respective party affiliations can be done in other threads. I want to keep this thread clear of that discussion so I don't have to wade through all that to gather up submitted information on candidates and their position on guns.

Response from Bud Pierce.

So, sounds like he isn't going to support any gun control, but he didn't say anything about repealing or changing anything either.

Do you have any other information on him that might help inform what his position would be? It sounds like he would be "Likely Pro-Gun" based on this response, but any other info you hear would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have any other information on him that might help inform what his position would be? It sounds like he would be "Likely Pro-Gun" based on this response, but any other info you hear would be appreciated. Thanks
That's it. Nothing on his website.

I stand corrected. his website DOES now have a 2nd amendment section. Either I missed it or it was added last night. http://www.budpierce.com/public-safety/
Reading that page concerns me. He wants:
  • Commit more resources to our state's mental health services to ensure that in-patient and out-patient treatment facilities are adequate and Oregonians struggling with mental illness are not warehoused in our prisons or living on our streets.
  • Provide advanced technology, including video surveillance, to better protect our schools.
  • Additional monitoring of social media.
  • Initiate a robust public service campaign to remind gun owners that with the right of gun ownership comes responsibility – that those who handle weapons must be well-trained and exercise the utmost care and safety procedures, and that those gun owners store weapons in an alternate location if they have individuals in their home who have mental illness.
  • Establish a system in which individuals can contact authorities if there is concern that gun violence may occur.
  • Give law enforcement the tools to thoroughly investigate situations brought to their attention, including the temporary authority to hold weapons, only if necessary in narrow circumstances based upon evidence that there is an imminent danger to the owner or others, in accordance with protecting their constitutional rights.
  • Improve public safety.
IMO, thats like a C or D rating at best. Better than Brown, but not by much.

That's it. Nothing on his website.

I stand corrected. his website DOES now have a 2nd amendment section. Either I missed it or it was added last night. http://www.budpierce.com/public-safety/
Reading that page concerns me. He wants:
  • Commit more resources to our state's mental health services to ensure that in-patient and out-patient treatment facilities are adequate and Oregonians struggling with mental illness are not warehoused in our prisons or living on our streets.
  • Provide advanced technology, including video surveillance, to better protect our schools.
  • Additional monitoring of social media.
  • Initiate a robust public service campaign to remind gun owners that with the right of gun ownership comes responsibility – that those who handle weapons must be well-trained and exercise the utmost care and safety procedures, and that those gun owners store weapons in an alternate location if they have individuals in their home who have mental illness.
  • Establish a system in which individuals can contact authorities if there is concern that gun violence may occur.
  • Give law enforcement the tools to thoroughly investigate situations brought to their attention, including the temporary authority to hold weapons, only if necessary in narrow circumstances based upon evidence that there is an imminent danger to the owner or others, in accordance with protecting their constitutional rights.
  • Improve public safety.

That's the kind of info we need, thanks.

Oregon House of Representatives - PART 1 (Districts 1-30)

District 5:
Pam Marsh (D) is running to replace Peter Buckley, who is not seeking reelection. She is anti-gun.
(Is this how we provide info for the list, or do we somehow insert it into the original?)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top