JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can they though? Probably not, the way LEVO would like the law written.
Yes, they can:

SECTION 7. ORS 166.435 is amended to read:
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Transfer" means the delivery of a firearm from a transferor to a transferee, including, but not limited to, the sale, gift, loan or lease of the firearm. "Transfer" does not include the temporary provision of a firearm to a transferee if the transferor has no reason to believe the transferee is prohibited from possessing a firearm or intends to use the firearm in the commission of a crime, and the provision occurs:
(A) At a shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed for the purpose of target shooting, for use during target practice, a firearms safety or training course or class or a similar lawful activity;
-Apparently what was voted on (pile of crap) isn't going to be the true pile of crap.
How can that be? Please explain.

I don't understand the antimonisty towards a retired LEO questions. First off for my personal situation. To qualify under the federal nationwide carry law we are required to live fire qualify every year. For my particular agency I am required to be fingerpribted(live scan) and requalify live fire, full course, every five years for a re issue of my retired ID. I am a FBI certified firearms instructor, a smith an Wesson, Colt AR, Ruger mini 14, and HK Mp 5 certified law enforcement instructor.
So even thought I go through the same background check more elaborate live fire instruction, I cannot get credit for already completing and exceeding all of 114 requirements.
Just saying
There's no animosity intended.. in fact I have the utmost respect for those entrusted with ensuring the safety of the people who can't defend themselves... sorry if it came across as such. But those of us who can protect themselves and family should be allowed to do so... I know it's a T-shirt cliche; (but true nonetheless); "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away"

...How can that be? Please explain.

There are no systems in place & no funding for the mythical systems.

With the closing of the majority of firearms related businesses in the state*, it could cost upwards of $1,000 out of pocket for "training" for a permit to purchase. (See similar permit to purchase training schemes. Yes, schemes. Unconstitutional discriminatory schemes.)

*Name a business, any business which can go without sales. For an unknown time.

No carve out for armed security or private investigators either. Sure hope the criminals follow this one too, but guess we will all be in the same boat :)

With the closing of the majority of firearms related businesses in the state*, it could cost upwards of $1,000 out of pocket for "training" for a permit to purchase. (See similar permit to purchase training schemes. Yes, schemes. Unconstitutional discriminatory schemes.)

Maybe a class action law suit?

How can that be? Please explain.
Clearly 114 is a mess. A Reddit poster points out that 2020's Measure 110, the drug thing, needed legislative cleanup in 2021, so they passed SB 755 Feb to July 2021.

One expects a similar sweep-up-after for 114; the new version would take effect on signing (most likely the leg. will call it an 'emergency'), so actual effective date seems likely to be sometime mid-2023.

Of course, Tina-the-K could veto it. We could also get our earthquake on the Cascadia Fault and Salem would be inundated by the tsunami.

I agree, the impact on gun dealers will be devastating, and there will probably be other unintended (or maybe intended) consequences. I thought you meant something else, like somehow the actual language of the law would mysteriously change, more like what @Librarian explained in post #30 above.

The measure imposes magazine limits. But it doesn't impose gun limits. Carry a New York Reload
This is the type of argument (a good one I'm saying) to bring up with folks in favor of mag capacity limits and watch their head's explode. What's to stop criminals from going full Laura Croft with a gun in each hand (other than needing to say, turn a doorknob)??? Oh wait, logic...like Kryptonite to those folks.

I don't understand the antimonisty towards a retired LEO questions.….
Well when the institutions you pay to represent you (unions) spend the money that you give them to work tirelessly to put liberal politicians in office who subsequently write laws to restrict our constitutional rights, while at the same time carve out exemptions so the laws won't apply to you….. yeah, I can't understand why there would be any animosity either….

I agree, the impact on gun dealers will be devastating, and there will probably be other unintended (or maybe intended) consequences. I thought you meant something else, like somehow the actual language of the law would mysteriously change, more like what @Librarian explained in post #30 above.
The unintended consequences are in fact intended in addition to all the intended consequences...

Now that it looks like measure 114 may pass here in Oregon, I have a question. How does law effect honorably retired LEO S. I bought my duty weapon upon retirement. It came with its issue hi capscity mags.
Is their any exceptions for retired LEO carrying hi caps in public???
Nope, and it shouldn't have any LE exemptions.

In the words of Paramore.....ain't it fun?

Look at CA. LEO's have amazing off roster collections and have become the most profitable gun dealers in the country while the average citizen is screwed. Animosity in that circumstance is absolutely to be expected.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top