JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "luxury goods" sales tax has existed since at least 2018. The catch is that it was limited to new vehicles. I bought a new motorcycle in 2018 and if I recall I had to pay something like .005% the value of the bike as a tax to register the vehicle. It turns out that any new motor vehicle sold in Oregon after 2018 was subject to that tax. This law seems like it will expand the tax and raise it by 2.5%.

As others in the thread have said - I'm not necessarily against paying more in taxes if it goes to a good cause, but the stated use in the text of the bill itself is $750/mo payments to low income people. I'm no genius but I can tell you right now that if word gets out you can smoke meth in public AND get $750/mo from the government - all kinds of urban campers are going to be flocking to this state for the handouts.

Last Edited:
Does this apply to products purchased before the law is passed?
There would be precedence for this. As I recall in WA they charged the "sales" tax on vehicles every year. Counties in Oregon charge a Personal Property Tax on businesses. If this passes I hope it's a one time tax on purchases made after law passes.

Maybe we should be writing our Representatives and Senators and ask them to deny a quorum. It would be worthwhile for this level of garbage legislation.

The "luxury goods" sales tax has existed since at least 2018. The catch is that it was limited to new vehicles. I bought a new motorcycle in 2018 and if I recall I had to pay something like .005% the value of the bike as a tax to register the vehicle. It turns out that any new motor vehicle sold in Oregon after 2018 was subject to that tax. This law seems like it will expand the tax and raise it by 2.5%.

As others in the thread have said - I'm not necessarily against paying more in taxes if it goes to a good cause, but the stated use in the text of the bill itself is $750/mo payments to low income people. I'm no genius but I can tell you right now that if word gets out you can smoke meth in public AND get $750/mo from the government - all kinds of urban campers are going to be flocking to this state for the handouts.
This is a very good point about attracting more freeloaders. Imagine how well the homeless and street shooting artist will be living with an extra $750 a month. Some of our Legislators are sick in the head. I am against paying anymore taxes.

Here is the list of items but they do not include greater than values, why?

(11)(a) "Taxable luxury goods" means the following goods, whether new or used at the
time of the taxable sales transaction:
(A) A motor vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(B) A recreational vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(C) An all-terrain vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(D) A snowmobile with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(E) Any motorized recreational watercraft with a retail sales price greater than
$ ;
(F) Civil aircraft with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(G) A firearm with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(H) An electronic device with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(I) A handbag with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(J) Any item of clothing with a retail sales price greater than $ ; or
(K)(i) An item or items of jewelry purchased in a single transaction with a total retail
sales price greater than $ ; or
(ii) Items of jewelry that are designed to be worn together but are purchased in separate
transactions with a total aggregate sales price greater than $ .

This is a very good point about attracting more freeloaders. Imagine how well the homeless and street shooting artist will be living with an extra $750 a month. Some of our Legislators are sick in the head. I am against paying anymore taxes.

On top of the $20 an hour they make holding cardboard signs on freeway exit ramps.

Maybe we should be writing our Representatives and Senators and ask them to deny a quorum.
Not going to happen:
In spite of the lip service paid by the new House Republican "Leader" Vicky Breese Iverson about walking out, the Republicans once again agreed to rules that fine them if they do not meekly show up on the House floor to obediently do the bidding of their leftist overlords.

Here is the list of items but they do not include greater than values, why?

(11)(a) "Taxable luxury goods" means the following goods, whether new or used at the
time of the taxable sales transaction:
(A) A motor vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(B) A recreational vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(C) An all-terrain vehicle with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(D) A snowmobile with a retail sales price greater than $ ;
(E) Any motorized recreational watercraft with a retail sales price greater than
$ ;
(K)(i) An item or items of jewelry purchased in a single transaction with a total retail
sales price greater than $ ; or
(ii) Items of jewelry that are designed to be worn together but are purchased in separate
transactions with a total aggregate sales price greater than $ .
I see no mention of their luxury bongs and dildos being subject to tax. :oops:

I am against paying more taxes, always against it.

Federal civilian workers with no more than a high school education earned 34% more, on average, than similar workers in the private sector.

More money in the system makes things better since, when? Also, what are the exemptions, senator? Or what we can call, The Political-Loophole. Not written but exploited by those in authority.

Greedy Bastids!!!

Setting themselves up as some kind of modern day Robbing Hoods in order to test drive the Basic Income plan... which pays people not to work. This is part of The Great Reset, in which so many people will be out of jobs that they will be handing out $2k/mo so that the masses don't rise up and shoot them for what they have done.

Don't those weenies know what people - especially those in a population which is prone to drug addiction - do with free money? Geez if yer gonna play social savior at least come up with a smart way to do it... But hey at least the drug gangs will be happy.

Greedy Bastids!!!

Setting themselves up as some kind of modern day Robbing Hoods in order to test drive the Basic Income plan... which pays people not to work. This is part of The Great Reset, in which so many people will be out of jobs that they will be handing out $2k/mo so that the masses don't rise up and shoot them for what they have done.
Getting low skilled documented people not to work while bringing in 100k worth of unskilled undocumented people. In a few years government will not have to ask and plead with people. I know a few businesses owners that lost their business right when they invested in expansion when CV19 hit. Now starting over.

Whether by design or luck, the group of political hacks that got that extra jab of power due to temporary Emergency Powers are finding it hard to let go. With superstar and wealthy entertainers encouraging people to ignore their freedoms and rights for the greater good (all while shoring up their own security and buying land away from the masses), not to mention driving their land yatchs over the little people.

I'm lucky to be largely unaffected by the current state but many, especially the old have lost 2 years at the end of their lives, scared to do anything. So sad, to me.

Bunch of crapola as usual in the Beaver State. Just a sales tax on a constitutionality protected right. I remember the "privilege" tax they imposed for new vehicles which is just passed onto the consumer, just like the sugar drink tax here in the Seattle area, again, passed onto the consumer. Goes to show how businesses don't really pay taxes, the consumer does.
Don't get me started on the malarkey 1639 fees aka a tax on guns. Funny how they call these things fees instead of taxes to "soften" the blow like no sane person can see right through the BS. In the end, they are just trying to make it more expensive to use a right on top of political barriers to the 2A.

I'm lucky to be largely unaffected by the current state but many, especially the old have lost 2 years at the end of their lives, scared to do anything. So sad, to me.
Yep.

I'm 70 this year. The wife is 80 this year. The purchase power of our savings and income is steadily dwindling along with our health and esp our state of mind. Golden years. I'm ready for it to be over.

At least when they come to take the house because we will have to choose between food and mortgage, we can jump in and pay it off with worthless saved dollars from our IRAs.

Taxing better than average firearms is wrong. That is not what has me concerned the most, however, when reading this gibberish. Check out their plan to track all your purchases under K for "jewelry." Does that mean all these transaction records will become available to the public or be used without controls? I bet it is applied to all categories they want a piece of the pie from and in the case of firearms, after the malefactors realize who is recently well-stocked in their armory Salem will have a red flag to flutter in your direction. It seems to be this is as much an attack on cash transactions as intelligence.

(K)(i) An item or items of jewelry purchased in a single transaction with a total retail sales price greater than $ ; or (ii) Items of jewelry that are designed to be worn together but are purchased in separate transactions with a total aggregate sales price greater than $ . (b) "Taxable luxury goods" does not mean property that is purchased

Nothing good comes from handouts.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR