JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is set for a committee hearing on 8 February and is a bill to impose a sales, and use tax of 3% on "luxury" items which includes firearms at the rate of 3% of the retail price of presumably each firearm one buys or uses. Also included as "luxury" items: ATVs, aircraft, boats, jewelry, certain articles of clothing, and RVs. Something to keep an eye on.

UPDATE: Per post #48 here by DivCurlGrad72 on 9 Feb at 0857 the bill was removed from committee consideration after overwhelming public opposition. So a win, at least temporarily 👍

Last Edited:

In particular:

"...Taxes would be increased to 3% on items deemed a luxury. Examples outlined in the bill include airplanes, expensive watercrafts, high-end cars, jewelry and guns. Witt says once each item goes over a certain price, it will be taxed."

I think because they are calling it a luxury tax, the courts can knock it down. I'm not sure they can justify calling a right a "luxury". Kind of like the Portland art tax, they had to make adjustments to make it fly.

It'll happen though, just probably not on this one.

$750.00 per month for a period of up to three years? I am not against programs that are proven to achieve good results, but this is another way of taking money away from people that will be loosely monitored and never enforced.

$750.00 per month for a period of up to three years? I am not against programs that are proven to achieve good results, but this is another way of taking money away from people that will be loosely monitored and never enforced.
Oh snap, I didn't realize they were planning on handing the money out.

The amount of money they're trying to generate is also rather laughable. Luxury cars is probably going to be defined as anything over $5k :s0123:

I'm not sure they can justify calling a right a "luxury".
No but Oregon managed a way around it by calling it a 'privilege' tax which is a tax on the dealers for the 'privilege' of selling vehicles in Oregon and is passed on to the buyer.

So maybe next will be a 'privilege' tax for the LGS to pass along to the gun buyer?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews