JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
pearson ridge aint what it used to be!

Was that you that was scoping me????????? :mad:;)

BTW we hunt the entire area between Ukiah highway and Pilot Rock. In the early days, before I started going with them, they hunted down low, then later we camped near Granite Meadows and hunted all around Pearson Creek on both sides. I've been known to sleep facing the sun while sitting on the slope just NE of the hairpin. :) (Wow the reprod in various places has really grown!!) We hunted afternoons on the West side of the Ukiah Highway but never saw hair over on that side.

The spike only tag success results esp for Wenaha have been abysmal over the last 10 or so years. I thought I saw for a few of the more recent years it'd been under 10 percent success rate. I've gotten lucky the past few seasons that I've actually drawn a spike tag, but not last year. If I could eat wolf track soup I'd be ok.
1991-95 we would backpack camp in Wenaha at Shoo fly spring. 7 spikes during that time.........good times.
Last time in could not find even old track.

Controversy is prevalent over whether wolf packs, Wolveses, drive elk out or not. I personally believe they do, from experience, observation, and anecdotes of friends. However, at least one member has shared pics of big elk harvested on Mt. Emily after wolves were already verified. Maybe the wolves were on vacay?

Sorry for the thread drift, but I'd like to hear from members that have hunted a unit where they saw both wolves AND elk, and what year if any. A bit late now, but maybe info will help hunters decide which unit is a tag wasted. After all, a look at the harvest numbers, tag success, given by ODFW for each unit is pretty depressing for last year!

bb
Last year in the chesnimnus unit several hunters around us during archery season saw wolves. There was also a small bull moose with several cows in the area but I heard someone poached him after elk season.
I saw a lot of elk And shot my first archery bull that was a spike.

Hurt my back this winter so going back for first rifle season instead of archery to give me more time to heal.

I use to hunt Pearson Ridge probably 25 years ago. One rag horn taken there.
seen the biggest bull elk ive ever seen down the 300 RD trail that goes from the top of the 300 RD down thru oriental creek down to the john day river. the bull was in the unburnt timber area. MASSIVE.

also, 2 years ago there was a nice branch bull with a cow and a calf bathing in the john day river. the whole trip was worth it after seein that.

Didn't get my first choice for either deer or elk, but did draw tags. No dice on the premium tags.

Last year at elk camp prior to the opener, we were talking to some guys that hunted there during deer season and saw a bunch of elk.
We saw nothing but a lone cow for five days out of six guys. Oh yeah, we did see two wolves :mad:.

I was out in Ukia about 20 days ago and a fawn colored wolf streaked across the forest service road I was traveling on. Came across an unknown track in the back country in the mud that was 2 x the size of both of my flat hands placed together.

True. I've not researched it, but I wonder if those LOP tags still count towards the total number of big bull tags allocated for the unit. If so, anyone without 160 contiguous acres or whatever the minimum is, doesn't get a taste of drawing multiple big bull tags. The haves and the havenots, I suppose. That's life.
I put in for LOP tags every year. I get the LOP only if I don't draw the regular tag for that hunt. My understanding is that the LOP tags are not part of the quota for a unit. This year I got my 141B (White River) non-LOP tag because I had a preference point from last year when I got the LOP tag.

No 1st choices here. 0 for how ever many tags you can Apply for.
But I Drew fossil deer and elk. I've said before I'd never hunt there, but then I figured it's better to be in woods than at work.
Any help would be appreciated.

seen the biggest bull elk ive ever seen down the 300 RD trail that goes from the top of the 300 RD down thru oriental creek down to the john day river. the bull was in the unburnt timber area. MASSIVE.

also, 2 years ago there was a nice branch bull with a cow and a calf bathing in the john day river. the whole trip was worth it after seein that.

OK... I was puzzled until I downloaded the map. I see Pearson Ridge is on the Hideaway Springs and Cable Creek side of the Ukiah Hwy. I've hunted Cable Creek a long time ago and did see some elk. However, the place we hunt is actually "Pearson Creek" along the 54 road nearer to Pilot Rock side of the highway and Granite Meadows. Got my last spike elk in Beeman Canyon above West Birch Creek off 5411.

Sorry for the confusion!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top